The mighty stihl 064 and early 066

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My only issue like yours was when the tank was low on fuel!
Definitely check the lever height under the diaphragm.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Themick0017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could be a number of things.

Give it a full tune up first (air filter, plug, fuel filter) and if that does not help likely the carb diaphragms need to be replaced. They can get brittle over time and not provide the full "oomph" they were intended to provide.

You also want to check that your impulse line is in good condition and on the fittings well.

These are the most common things that come to mind, but it is by no means a complete list.

Thanks for the quick reply! I neglected to mention that I replaced the impulse line and put a new walbro carb on it! It seems like a fuel supply issue! Once I get it started it is a great saw! Getting started can be a chore in and of itself! I Broke the recoil spring and it completely obliterated the nylon pawls. Luckily I can still find oem parts! I appreciate the advice! I have considered getting something newer to push my 36” bar as parts become harder to find!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Presuming you did a full tune up also, there can be problems with a new carb.

Sometimes the fuel lever is not set right, and sometimes even a "new carb" has been on the shelf and needs the diaphragms replaced.

Also check that the spark is strong. Spray some oil in the plug boot, and check that the gap with the coil is good and that the magnet in the flywheel is still strong.

Themick0017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Presuming you did a full tune up also, there can be problems with a new carb.

Sometimes the fuel lever is not set right, and sometimes even a "new carb" has been on the shelf and needs the diaphragms replaced.

Also check that the spark is strong. Spray some oil in the plug boot, and check that the gap with the coil is good and that the magnet in the flywheel is still strong.

Okay thanks for the tips I will check all of the above! Appreciate the expertise!

Nick

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my 064AV fun thread to read. She is fun to start with no decomp valve and it has been taking me more and more pulls each time. Any thoughts on what makes an old gal like this so cold blooded! I do live in northern mn but I keep the saw in the house when not cutting!
I'm just north of the border from you up here in Manitoba.
Winter time the 064/066 needs the winter preheater kit to allow them to run properly in freezing temps with snow.
My old red lite 066 has a heated carb, but I think their only available in Canada.
20181106_103425.jpg

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That should not effect the starting, just the running.
Iced up carbs definitely effects starting and overall performance.
With the recent cold snap all over North America and especially extra cold on the plains like here in Manitoba and Minnesota where you have a saw running in dry snow and arctic weather it don't take long for the carb venturi to get coated with a layer of ice.
Ports are covered over , all kinds of lean conditions.
When Themick0017 mentioned he was keeping his saw in the house over night he was basically thawing it out so it would start the next morning.
How many folks on the east or west coast plug in their vehicle's engine block heaters this time of year? Lol
:D

Last edited:

Themick0017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just north of the border from you up here in Manitoba.
Winter time the 064/066 needs the winter preheater kit to allow them to run properly in freezing temps with snow.
My old red lite 066 has a heated carb, but I think their only available in Canada.
View attachment 284807

very interesting! I store it in my basement when not using it as it was -10 or colder for about two weeks! Not cutting wood in that but it’s hard on equipment!

nick

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
very interesting! I store it in my basement when not using it as it was -10 or colder for about two weeks! Not cutting wood in that but it’s hard on equipment!

nick
-10F is a warm day for us up here Lol.
We had -50 a week ago for a few days , now that's chilly.
When I was running my 064 falling on the job 7-8 hour a day 5 days a week the cut off temp to stay home was -40. But we ran those saws and cable skidder in colder then that, by lunchtime it warms up to around -30.
Saws run great in those temps but you have to run those pre heater kits and open up the airbox partition window to get heat back to the carb.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She aint very pretty. Heres my 066. Im getting the bugs worked out of it. I need to find a good used carb for it one day.
135c0dbe3c422f0c31fb015276e52586.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of the nice 064s/066s I've put together over the years - this 064 was a real sweetie and went to an AS member, who sent it in to one of our builders for mods:

I spent two years sourcing parts for it, including a NOS starter and a cherry full-wrap style brake handle. It had a new old stock WJ-48 carb.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one was a period-correct saw (matching carb, top end, ignition, flywheel, and crank) metal-flywheel 066. I can't remember if I sent this one over the pond or not.

This one had one of the last USA full-wraps that Madsen's sold right before the USA Handle guy retired permanently due to the health issues.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of the nice 064s/066s I've put together over the years - this 064 was a real sweetie and went to an AS member, who sent it in to one of our builders for mods:

I spent two years sourcing parts for it, including a NOS starter and a cherry full-wrap style brake handle. It had a new old stock WJ-48 carb.

Slick saw! The 064 is a strong saw! A friend of mine has one.

066 redeye

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just rebuilt the twin to that saw not long ago, but had the small crank and metal flywheel. View attachment 285631
Is that the original jug?
Thought the ally wheel saws had no decomp.
But as usual prob wrong.Maybe the later ally ones did.
None of my ally 066s have decomp.
@jacob j.