Stihl 064

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be honest, when things look that bad as shown on Post #14, I replace them both with a P/C kit. Just MHO.
When I can afford it, I do, when I can't, I clean it up as good as I can and go from there. I have had pretty good luck so far cleaning up cylinders and just replacing a piston and rings.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 391cylinder I am working on that looks like yours. I found a video that showed an option for removing aluminum without using acid. I gave it a try and I really liked the results!!! I will probably need a new piston and rings though.

I've been happy with the results using this technique too.

gillettadam

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi all, I have had a look at the cylinder and have tried the method suggested. It works really well! Unfortunately there seems to be a fairly large gouge in the cylinder from the exhaust port all the way up to the top. I will get some pictures this evening. Unfortunately I think this means I'm going to need a new cylinder. In this case what is the collective opinion? I can get an OEM 066 cylinder and piston, or Meteor. Or I can get a Meteor 064 cylinder and piston. I have not yet found out if I can get an OEM 064 cylinder and piston, but the closeness in price is leading me to lean towards the 066 top end route either meteor or oem.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi all, I have had a look at the cylinder and have tried the method suggested. It works really well! Unfortunately there seems to be a fairly large gouge in the cylinder from the exhaust port all the way up to the top. I will get some pictures this evening. Unfortunately I think this means I'm going to need a new cylinder. In this case what is the collective opinion? I can get an OEM 066 cylinder and piston, or Meteor. Or I can get a Meteor 064 cylinder and piston. I have not yet found out if I can get an OEM 064 cylinder and piston, but the closeness in price is leading me to lean towards the 066 top end route either meteor or oem.
If the cylinder isn't salvageable, this is what I would be getting:

Maybe I'm the only one who has been burned by Hyway and Meteor cylinders with plating failures, but I can't recommend them. As for going 066 or 064, the 066 isn't a bolt-on. It requires the same type of modification as doing an 044/046 hybrid.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This PC kit might be a good option Dukes 066 Big bore or Dukes 066. Lots of other parts available at this sponsor's sites pages for this saw as well.
I got a Husky 576xp PC kit from Duke's for a 576 and am very happy with it. Very clean and bolted right up without any issue. Fired right up too!

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a Husky 576xp PC kit from Duke's for a 576 and am very happy with it. Very clean and bolted right up without any issue. Fired right up too!
I have run a handful of Duke's cylinders, and haven't had an issue with any of them yet.