The mighty stihl 064 and early 066

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t see a “definitive” thread on these saws specifically so I thought I’d start one. This is a place to post anything related to them, please post your findings, parts info, cuttin videos ect.... and whatever :). I’ve had this 064 for a couple months and after some basic mods and minor repairs today was the first day I’ve really used it. Had some big oak to buck up and thought it would be appropriate for the 064. I can see why these things were such a legend back in there heyday. It’s about as fast as a hot 7900 in cut speed, but with mountains of torque to back up the chainspeed. Feels like I’m holding a slightly heavier 461 in the hands. AV and the filter system are rather dated, but they were good in its time. She likes her fuel as well, that’s why I named it Miss Piggy lol. Makes a nice racket with the loud exhaust and whining flywheel. Great saw with lots of character, puts a smile on your face. FE3BEFC3-E5BD-452D-A23A-BABEBFE5B86B.jpeg

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old/ very early 066 with the metal airfilter cover and an early 064, they are my favorites over my other later o66`s, just something about the way they handle and the torque they produce makes me smile every time I get them out cutting. The roar from the open low profile airfilter reminds me of the 1960`s era muscle cars I ran.

Glennmac

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great timing, just got an 064 in a box I will be watching this thread. Can’t wait to get into mine but I have lots to learn first. I have done an 024, and an 036 to date. I know it’s a basket case but we will see This may be my winter project
854b6309cac73532e2b1ecfd8c7d53fb.jpg
74a17a6cd727d3fdb39feb2118261df5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only real stick in the mud I found with my 064 was the rather stingy oiler output for a saw of this size. Which I fixed by doing a quick mod to the oil pump so I could turn out the screw a bit further. If it didn’t work I was going to mod the pump internally. But now oil usage is now 1/1 with the gas which I’m satisfied with. It now oils a 28” bar with a 8 pin in hardwood like it should have from the start. I do wish the pump was compatible with the 660, so a guy could just swap in HO oiler stuff and call it a day.

Tractorsaw1

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only real stick in the mud I found with my 064 was the rather stingy oiler output for a saw of this size. Which I fixed by doing a quick mod to the oil pump so I could turn out the screw a bit further. If it didn’t work I was going to mod the pump internally. But now oil usage is now 1/1 with the gas which I’m satisfied with. It now oils a 28” bar with a 8 pin in hardwood like it should have from the start. I do wish the pump was compatible with the 660, so a guy could just swap in HO oiler stuff and call it a day.
There is an early & later 064 pump, the later pump can be taken apart just like the 066 pump & HO parts swapped in