The Cut Report - After the Bench

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some times it takes some time before you get to port a certain model again, so I was pretty stoked to get to do the same saw as one I haven't seen in quite a while, a MS361 Stihl. So here's the vidja's of them both cutting frozen pine, the major difference being the chains. The early vidja is with a chit bar and a Stihl square chain, the present vidja is with a nice bar and a chit round ground chain, the square was self feeding, the round is being pushed on, both are running a 7 pin. I really liked how this "new" build turned out. :)

Two years ago:

Present day:
Present day saw sure looks clean, they both run well.
My old 361 is over in Wisconson now, just not so far northwest as you are.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The "more used" looking one I rebuilt with all new goodies on the inside where it counts.
Ive got a ported 440 like that, all new bearings and seals, the jug was brand new when it went under the knife, nice runner for sure. Just realized the lower dog hole is stripped out this week, hope to fix it over winter. Suggestions on a best fix, or devcon and retap it?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive got a ported 440 like that, all new bearings and seals, the jug was brand new when it went under the knife, nice runner for sure. Just realized the lower dog hole is stripped out this week, hope to fix it over winter. Suggestions on a best fix, or devcon and retap it?
I like keenserts if you have enough meat there. No special tools required and it's a real solid fix.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If so a helicoil will toughen it up if that's enough.
Sometimes a 6mm hole is better.
HLSUPPLY has inserts that you tap to 8mm that work.
A lot depends on how badly it's wallered out.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If so a helicoil will toughen it up if that's enough.
Sometimes a 6mm hole is better.
HLSUPPLY has inserts that you tap to 8mm that work.
A lot depends on how badly it's wallered out.
Not bad, but I pulled it out by hand, I thought this was a husky problem:risas3:.
Not a fan of helicoils. I figured and industrial epoxy like devcon would be almost as good as the mag case for a hole like this. I wouldn't be opposed to opening it up a bit and going a size bigger though.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not bad, but I pulled it out by hand, I thought this was a husky problem:risas3:.
Not a fan of helicoils. I figured and industrial epoxy like devcon would be almost as good as the mag case for a hole like this. I wouldn't be opposed to opening it up a bit and going a size bigger though.

New cylinders have helicoils for the exhaust right from the factory, much tougher than aluminum or mag. My 440 has well over a dozen in it they work.
At the end of the day all you can do is pick the best fix possible and go with it.
The steel inserts from HLSUPPLY are inexpensive and work quite well, I loctite them in when installing. Just have to have enough meat around the hole for them to work. Makes for a tough repair.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tap to m6. Never seen a Helicoil hold up to the abuse and vibration.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red loctite.
What happens when someone wants to put some big dogs on it cause they can't setup a chain or want to drop some bigger trees :eek:.
Tap to m6. Never seen a Helicoil hold up to the abuse and vibration.
I'll probably try the devcon, it's some nasty stuff, if it won't hold the next size up works for me.
Maybe I need to swap everything over to a set of pretty cases :D.
I've had some bad experiences with helicoils, not ones I did either :confused:.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What happens when someone wants to put some big dogs on it cause they can't setup a chain or want to drop some bigger trees :eek:.

I'll probably try the devcon, it's some nasty stuff, if it won't hold the next size up works for me.

Take out the screw as the helicoil is loctited in with red and the screw with blue. ;)
The secret to helicoils is getting the right length, I keep a vast assortment of 5mm lengths to match the depth as close as possible to the original threads.
When done properly, is a very tough and long lasting repair in aluminum and magnesium.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’ve epoxied the bolt in place. It holds the bolt, but not tight. So eventually the hole wallers out. I’ve tried drilling and tapping the epoxy, and it strips before the bolt is tight. M6 just seems to be better when the original m5 wasn’t strong enough to stay tight

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve epoxied the bolt in place. It holds the bolt, but not tight. So eventually the hole wallers out. I’ve tried drilling and tapping the epoxy, and it strips before the bolt is tight. M6 just seems to be better when the original m5 wasn’t strong enough to stay tight

No such thing as overkill.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need a good arsenal and be open to different possibilities for the different fugg ups that come along. Even then you might need a new trick to get the job done right.
Some times a longer bolt will help out where a larger diameter won't do and vise versa.
If epoxy won't hold then it should get sent out for welding.
Helicoil not big enough, an insert might be the ticket, not enough meat for an insert, the helicoil or oversized bolt might be best.
Oversized studs come in handy once in a blue moon.
I can't have enough ways to fix junk saws, but it can be done well with a good plan and execution thereof.
IMG_20191116_114120491.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I repaired a few by using the 5 mm acorn nuts that are used on the top of the dog (I buy them at the hardware store). I drill the lower hole just large enough so I can tap the acorn nut in snug. I sand the surface of the nut and the inside of the hole and dampen them with a wet Q tip. Then I cement it in with Loctite PL Premium. I also put a dab of Wheel Bearing grease in the end of the nut to ensure the PL Premium does not get in there. It worked for the ones I did.