Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why a 500...

The jury is still out on whether or not this will be a saw that really lasts like a 288XP, or a MS660. But.....it's light, it's fast, it's conventionally designed without strato ports, has spring AV, is fuel injected......and so far, I've yet to hear a single complaint about any that I've sent out, or have I disassembled one that was put together incorrectly.

There is one thing about the 500i that I really don't like. It has to be hooked up with the MDG scan tool and you have to log in to a Stihl network to reset it.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The jury is still out on whether or not this will be a saw that really lasts like a 288XP, or a MS660. But.....it's light, it's fast, it's conventionally designed without strato ports, has spring AV, is fuel injected......and so far, I've yet to hear a single complaint about any that I've sent out, or have I disassembled one that was put together incorrectly.

There is one thing about the 500i that I really don't like. It has to be hooked up with the MDG scan tool and you have to log in to a Stihl network to reset it.

Not for me. Computer hook up for reset = no for me, not yet anyway...maybe in a few years.

Wanna fight about it ?

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not done with Husqvarna by any means. I do a bunch of 3120s, 395s, 390s, and 372s. But the 5 series is more trouble for me, and the customer IF there is a problem. I don't need the work badly enough to play the odds.

My mood is vastly improved now....and I'm ready to just flip the page and move on. What ol Duce thinks of me is none of my business any damn way....I've passed the point of caring.

I just got done riding around on a tractor sitting out round bales. Had a new born calf on the ground this morning. Beautiful white face, healthy. Hard to keep from being grateful after seeing that.
I should have been more specific, autotuning huskys.

I'm glad you are feeling better, friend. Congratulations on the baby cow! New life is a beautiful thing.

StihlThe1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One comment on the 500i is they are unobtainium in my area, went to all the Stihl dealers here (like 5)
they hadn't even had one come in yet "for the first lottery contestant" at their favorite dealer. That was 2
months ago when I went in to purchase a new saw, put my name in que on their waiting list and have been
in the shop several times and no status or anything yet. So I've bought a 572, I'm expecting it will be a great saw to
me. I've been a Technician all of my life, I was a Stihl Tech in the 80's when I bought my 034 when they first came
out. I'll have a wait and see attitude on both of these saws, but just like a new model of car, the numbers will
ramp up out in the real world and we'll find out if the wheels are falling off...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem I have with a saw that "might" be a problem child is the distance between my customers and me. Over the last couple of months the only saws that I've had to deal with issues on......you guessed it.....the 5 series Husqvarna.

The distance thing is a huge barrier if a saw ends up with problems and if it's a model known to have a lot of faults or poor quality control, it isn't worth your time in dealing with them.

All brands have had their share of problems and I can list many from when I was working at dealerships -

The 046 had a run of bad main bearings about a year after it came out, and the mains were only lasting about 40-50 days in the woods. The warranty fix from Stihl was essentially a full rebuild.

The 440 had bad castings on the cylinders for a while and the warranty fix from Stihl was to grind out the lower lip on the bottom of each transfer port.

The 371 had case problems (cracking through the bar pad) and the warranty fix from Husqvarna was a new case assembly (they didn't warranty all of them though).

The 335/338 had severe carburetor issues for a time and the warranty fix from Husqvarna was a new replacement carb. I can list hundreds more examples.

Point being is that no brand is perfect and the whole fanboy thing is ridiculous and unproductive. People just need to go with what works for them and not have any emotional hang-ups about their preferences.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Further *f-wordery on the 5 series.

Heres an exhaust port on a 562 I'm porting this morning. Yeah....it will run, but shouldn't there be someone in the QC department who looks at this (very typical on the 5 series to have terrible looking exhaust ports) and say, "Surely we could do better" ????

20201122_111150.jpg 20201122_111306.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The distance thing is a huge barrier if a saw ends up with problems and if it's a model known to have a lot of faults or poor quality control, it isn't worth your time in dealing with them.

All brands have had their share of problems and I can list many from when I was working at dealerships -

The 046 had a run of bad main bearings about a year after it came out, and the mains were only lasting about 40-50 days in the woods. The warranty fix from Stihl was essentially a full rebuild.

The 440 had bad castings on the cylinders for a while and the warranty fix from Stihl was to grind out the lower lip on the bottom of each transfer port.

The 371 had case problems (cracking through the bar pad) and the warranty fix from Husqvarna was a new case assembly (they didn't warranty all of them though).

The 335/338 had severe carburetor issues for a time and the warranty fix from Husqvarna was a new replacement carb. I can list hundreds more examples.

Point being is that no brand is perfect and the whole fanboy thing is ridiculous and unproductive. People just need to go with what works for them and not have any emotional hang-ups about their preferences.

The MS200T.

How many different carbs did that model go thru? Never was totally resolved that I'm aware of.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Heres an exhaust port on a 562 I'm porting this morning. Yeah....it will run, but shouldn't there be someone in the QC department who looks at this (very typical on the 5 series to have terrible looking exhaust ports) and say, "Surely we could do better" ????

View attachment 268400 View attachment 268401
The IH edition.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 268400 View attachment 268401
Maybe they're working with a performance guy.hqdefault.jpg