Tank vents and leaking carb gaskets

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do know that Jeremy, but the only thing I can figure is tank pressure was causing pressure at the carb and fuel was leaking from/through the gaskets in the carb. This was only happening when the saw was sitting unused and got even slightly warmer than ambient temp...e.g., sitting in sun, in my toolbox, or in my shop. Is there something else that could be causing this? I'm open to suggestions, it's just making a mess
Looking back, I see I probably came off a tad harsh on my reply. Totally didn’t mean it that way.....at all.

Like I said earlier, my 461 was doing the same.
And both carbs passed pressure test with flyin colors.

Gaskets leaking aren’t unheard of, Obviously the POP is greater than the gaskets sealing capabilities otherwise you’d have a case full of fuel.

My 461 had the same exact signs as yours. Carb covered in evaporated mix fuel (residual oil), carb box & handle the same.

72thing

Chain dulling master
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking back, I see I probably came off a tad harsh on my reply. Totally didn’t mean it that way.....at all.

Like I said earlier, my 461 was doing the same.
And both carbs passed pressure test with flyin colors.

Gaskets leaking aren’t unheard of, Obviously the POP is greater than the gaskets sealing capabilities otherwise you’d have a case full of fuel.

My 461 had the same exact signs as yours. Carb covered in evaporated mix fuel (residual oil), carb box & handle the same.

No problem brother, you weren't harsh at all. I think you nailed it--Gaskets were leaking at pressures lower than carb popoff. It just took me writing a novel, or Willvel as Heath called it, to try to explain it...

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't think Dad has been farther north than DC, lol.
You saying me an @Cobby08 are long lost brothers?

Minimum 2nd cousins on one of your mom’s side.

He’s in the middle, as usual.
57e5f585451210b999304fc04fcde7e3.jpg

That’s a Picture FULL of Winners!!

@Definitive Dave

@Leorawookie

@paragonbuilder

@Cobby08

Last edited: