Tank vents and leaking carb gaskets

72thing

Chain dulling master
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tank vents aren’t designed to allow pressure to escape......you know that right?

I do know that Jeremy, but the only thing I can figure is tank pressure was causing pressure at the carb and fuel was leaking from/through the gaskets in the carb. This was only happening when the saw was sitting unused and got even slightly warmer than ambient temp...e.g., sitting in sun, in my toolbox, or in my shop. Is there something else that could be causing this? I'm open to suggestions, it's just making a mess

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hooskies don't have this problem. Operators too busy looking for screws that fell out. LMAO [emoji23]
I really wish they would put the little serations under the screw heads like Stihl screws have

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

72thing

Chain dulling master
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know the old grub screw vents worked just fine.....

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

Exactly. I might be putting a bandaid on another problem (I think I have the gaskets sealing better now) but dang if I'll let it happen again. Grub screw to the rescue!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do know that Jeremy, but the only thing I can figure is tank pressure was causing pressure at the carb and fuel was leaking from/through the gaskets in the carb. This was only happening when the saw was sitting unused and got even slightly warmer than ambient temp...e.g., sitting in sun, in my toolbox, or in my shop. Is there something else that could be causing this? I'm open to suggestions, it's just making a mess

Did you store any Huskys near it?

You know the old, “you lay down with dogs, you get flees” proverb.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Genuine Walbro and Zama Chinese carb kits. All surfaces were clean with no old gasket material. I don't believe its leaking from the H or L screws. After pressure testing the carb, I went back and tightened the s-word out of the screws and tested again with the mityvac. Much better than before.

I also made up a rather simple but effective tank vent for the 440 today that's essentially open to the atmosphere. I drilled a hole through a tapered rubber "cork" stopper and forced the stopper into the vent hole. Then used a small brass fitting to attach to a line that runs up under the top cover with a screw in the end of the line. Stihl used the same basic setup on a lot of older saws--a line with a screw in it. Except they used a "vent insert" 1120 358 8105.

Ran a tank thru it today (tank #20 since being hybridized) and it ran strong, no leaks from vent or carb. I ran saw in all positions. I fueled it up and will let it sit in the shop, where it should get plenty warm. We'll see how my redneck tank vent works.

Will,

Was there a 30-35 degree temp Swing there the last couple days?