Stihl MS881! The rumors begin

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a stihl so more like 40%. Got to get 20% to equal a stock husky and the extra 20% to make the port job worth while![emoji23]
I'd have 2 cord cut with muh STIHL by the time you fixed the Hooskie and got it running and stuff.
JUST SAYIN. LMAO

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like that 462. The 572 might leave for one.

I’ve not run one but they seem too small for a 70cc saw to me. That might change if I got to run o e with a 34” bar some and see if it would handle it. But I think it’s too small to mill with that size bar.

I hope stihl can get the 881 to be better than an 880. They’re the most choked up, held back saw I’ve ever used. They limited them to right at peak torque so they’re off the limiter with a light load. You have to spend $200 to make them better than a 395 milling with 36-50” bars.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you’re not quite ready for the power of the 3 series huskies. Maybe one day you’ll get there when you need to cut wood faster[emoji23]
I could never get one of those 3 series Hooskies. I'm not that good at fixing them. BUT I suppose I could watch Mattyos hour long vids and become a Hooskie mechanic.
Just more fun running Stihls. They don't need fixin. LMAO

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve not run one but they seem too small for a 70cc saw to me. That might change if I got to run o e with a 34” bar some and see if it would handle it. But I think it’s too small to mill with that size bar.

I hope stihl can get the 881 to be better than an 880. They’re the most choked up, held back saw I’ve ever used. They limited them to right at peak torque so they’re off the limiter with a light load. You have to spend $200 to make them better than a 395 milling with 36-50” bars.
Yeah the 462 isnt really for a 34. Or a 32. Or really a 28. They balance great and operate very well with a 24.

I ran an 880 once for about 30 seconds. Set it down and grabbed the ported 660 and did the same work in half the time. Fvcking boat anchor.

Just more fun running Stihls. They don't need fixin. LMAO

God I wish that was true. They all need fixing unfortunately, especially when using them daily. Everything gets tired, everything wears out, and faster so with abusive operators or..."accidents". The local shops repair rates are about 50/50 as far as working pro saws go.

Happy cutting!

I really do hope one of the manufacturers produce a big saw that's worth its salt, it's a real shame they need to be sent to a porter to even be usable.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The First 880 I ever ran had been done by Brad Snelling. I didn't know it at the time. I just thought that's what an 880 was. Then a few years later, I ran an actual bone stock one, and about threw it across the tree, because it was moving at the speed of a tug boat. Now, a 3120 feels like a cinder block but they can be made to be fearsome. If Stihl could make a 100+ CC version of the MS261CMII, with good anti-vibe, a wider, usable powerband, functional stratos and do it in under 22lbs, I'd buy it simply for dealing with large Hedge, Oak, and Cotton Wood on ranches near me. But, I'll likely end up with a hopped up 395 and call it a day.

Last edited:

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The First 880 I ever ran had been done by Brad Snelling. I didn't know it at the time. I just thought that's what an 880 was. Then a few years later, I ran an actual bone stock one, and about threw it across the tree, because it was moving at the speed of a tug boat. Now, a 3120 feels like a cinder block but they can be made to be fearsome. If Stihl could make a 100+ CC version of the MS261CMII, with good anti-vibe, a wider, usable powerband, functional stratos and do it in under 22lbs, I'd buy it simply for dealing with large Hedge, Oak, and Cotton Wood on ranches near me. But, I'll likely end up with a hopped up 395 and call it a day.
Yep, you aren't wrong about any of that. People laugh and ask me why I need anything bigger than a 60cc saw in new england, but the fact remains that operating/working in a tree service we actually run into some monstrous old trees that are on old estates. Not periodically either, the 660 comes out 3 days a week with the 3 foot bar and I bought my 395 to run it in conjunction. The ported 660 and 395 seem to be more than up to the task though.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dominick, just Mike and I having some back and forth fun. Friendly banter. LOL
I realize they all need fixin sometimes. Rare on Stihls, more frequently on Hooskies.
Justv sayin.
Ding, ding.....[emoji1787]

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dominick, just Mike and I having some back and forth fun. Friendly banter. LOL
I realize they all need fixin sometimes. Rare on Stihls, more frequently on Hooskies.
Justv sayin.
Ding, ding.....[emoji1787]
Two of my favorite saws are the ms460 and 066/660, definitely the tougher of the saws made, then again i dont abuse my things so they dont need repairs often.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I do. I bought mine three weeks ago and put it to work that day basically. I’ve run 3 or so gallons through it so far and it’s my favorite chainsaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been using it for more than 1.5year. It's cool saw

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two of my favorite saws are the ms460 and 066/660, definitely the tougher of the saws made, then again i dont abuse my things so they dont need repairs often.

Those are the 2 I’ve rebuilt more than anything in Stihl land. They are usually pretty tough as long as they’re not abused. 46 cases get the bearing pockets beat out on the pto side and 66 seem to kill the big end first in the ones I’ve took a few to build one.