Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great video!! One question how in the world can you work on a 1x6 board for a work bench? If that would have been me everything would have been in the floor many times before I got done lol!!

my workbench is always covered :) lol

I don't know, for some reason, it makes sense for me to use that board in the vice.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 200T I just raise the mains. I leave the secondaries untouched.

I'll see if I have notes.

Thanks

at BDC .... there is VERY little crossectional area open above the piston by the transfers.... so it seems to me that raising them to saw 120deg or so will give considerably better flow...

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok... stock squish is .035 .... stock gasket is .018.

i'm not going to cut squishband...but I am going to cut .015 from the chassis to optimize squish...

i probably won't do much to the intake or exhaust, but at least I know that raising the transfers doesn't make me crazy :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW the 020T and Ms200T are by far the easiest saws Stihl ever made to work on .I can have one down to bare bones in twenty minutes .

With the roller bearings mains they are a snap to split the cases .You can take the piston/head deck clearance pretty tight .I can't remember exactly how tight mine is because I screwed the base cut up and had to make a thicker base gasket. Probably 20 thou or less.

Don't worry about the blow down because those things were made to run from the get go . Besides that when you get something with that short of a stroke cranking on at over 15 thou you need that much blow down.By compassion those open transfers are huge for that size of a saw .
I domed the piston but again I forgot how much,12-15 thou,not much .Only to improve the flow over the piston .I think maybe 96 after on the exhaust. Cleaned up what little flash was on the piston.Polished things with craytex .

It turned out fine ,4 cycles at around 15.5 or so .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot to add I did some work on the muffler .Did the remove the spark arrester thing but also removed part of the tabs on the exit side of the exhaust towards the side the exit holes are on.Enlarged the holes of course .I don't know it it helped or not certainly didn't hurt .

They say it takes fuel to make power .I'd imagine the little saw would burn a tank in about 40-45 minutes which is what most saws run .This one would drive a tree trimmer nuts,about 20-25 minutes and it's time to gas up .I can deal with it .:)

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok...all 3 saws now have a high idle issue. All 3 are pressure tested...so it isn't cranks seals...I can only crank out the low screw so much....it idles even but a bit high on all 3. The only thing I did consistently to all 3 I'd the acceleration pump delete...maybe I did something wrong there? Ideas?

there is no bog off idle, the throttle is responsive and snappy, no issue there, just can't get the idle down far enough to stop the chain from moving.

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Matt I thought this thread was just a compilation of your videos. You may want to start a thread with the question about the high idle issue. Al does this a lot and gets pretty quick responses.

Sounds to me that the throttle plate isn't closing all the way for some reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's most likely the carb .FWIW a couple years ago I sent a 200 carb to Eddie Anderson.AKA Stihl number one on the net who is or was on Stihl staff in Virginia beach .They did a test on it and determined it was an internal leak deep within the damned thing under the welch plug.Basically non repairable .Eddie sent me a brand new Zama CIQ something,latest model at the time with an accelerater pump .I never retuned it and the super bee has never ran so strong .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now what you might try is what Adam Clark and I did .Around the welch plugs take a q-tip and apply some red loctite .It could have a slight leak around the plug .Might work,might not .

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I think the issue I had is simply a tuning issue. Lone wolf had the answer. ..reset both screws at 1 turn out ....I has the low screw like 5 turns out....have to break the high limiter too.

Dunno why the high screw affected the idle. But I think it definitely did....I'm going to try to tune these tomorrow. Tx

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 3 020ts I haven't used much in the last 2 years. I've been using a 355t and t540xp, they run great but I guess I used a 200 to long. One saw which for some reason was always the best runner, it was dropped and case is cracked leaks oil, thoughts on the aftermarket case? How is the saw doing?