Stihl ms 460/660 Hybrid. 469e

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright we're back in the saddle. I got a call from Doc yesterday morning. He had a grand idea to shave weight off this slug without weakening. He said to drop the bottom ring and cut the windows higher into the land. So with that goal in mind, I chucked up a new cs900evl unit, cut the top to @Ketchup 's recommended (and proper) squish of 0.022". I had nipped the skirt on the other one to time intake and block less port, so I just turned them both up to that height. Still sitting pretty at 80* intake. Put it on a healthy diet and it's a few grams lighter yet. Minus a ring, and plus an oem tapered pin, this is nothing but improved, and stronger. 17102369883268118689642254388628.jpg
This is the original echo slug, 2 rings, and lrb pin.
1710237071180706651255129693996.jpg
Improved Doc(tored) unit, 1 ring, oem pin. Over 7 grams lighter.
Tonight after work, it goes back in the hole, saw goes back together, and tommorow I'll run it and we'll see if the intake port is doing the trick!

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody got a 500i piston to measure? Probably has a short skirt, but it’s 54mm, 12mm pin. And light.
We're still good! I gotta whip up another one on the lathe, and get it to where I was on the first one, minus the @Mastermind condemned super thin struts. However I'll still take those measurements please 😈🤣👍

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We're still good! I gotta whip up another one on the lathe, and get it to where I was on the first one, minus the @Mastermind condemned super thin struts. However I'll still take those measurements please 😈🤣👍
I vote you run the first slug and see what happens. I’ll bet it’s stronger than you think.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I vote you run the first slug and see what happens. I’ll bet it’s stronger than you think.
Don't think I ain't thinkin it. Trouble is, Randy's gonna be right. And I'll be an a**hole for ruining a good oem case against his far more experienced judgement. Doc agreed it's sketchy. That's 2 experienced votes against 1 experienced vote and 1 not experienced squirrelly monkeys itchy fingers 🤣🤣🤣

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was actually thinking I'd run that sketchy slug for piss revving and high jet tinkering. Tells alot. But I guarantee it'd Grenada unda da load.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't think I ain't thinkin it. Trouble is, Randy's gonna be right. And I'll be an a**hole for ruining a good oem case against his far more experienced judgement. Doc agreed it's sketchy. That's 2 experienced votes against 1 experienced vote and 1 not experienced squirrelly monkeys itchy fingers 🤣🤣🤣
Well keep in mind, I don’t have a dime in it! 🤣

But in all seriousness, I think it would be fine for quite some time. It is thin in places, but unless it had a LOT of piston rock, I don’t think it would be stressed enough to come apart. I think you have enough meat to hold the pin.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was actually thinking I'd run that sketchy slug for piss revving and high jet tinkering. Tells alot. But I guarantee it'd Grenada unda da load.
I disagree: RPM is what would stress it the most. In the cut it wouldn’t be coming to so many starts and stops. And compression wouldn’t kill it, but the stretching action as the crank head back down would be the hardest in the aluminum IMO.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well keep in mind, I don’t have a dime in it! 🤣

But in all seriousness, I think it would be fine for quite some time. It is thin in places, but unless it had a LOT of piston rock, I don’t think it would be stressed enough to come apart. I think you have enough meat to hold the pin.
Welllll, ya seeeee, that's just the thing... These lrb slugs come in small @ 53.92mm, coupled with the flat Intake floor I gave it.... Ehhhhhhh🤣🤣🤣
I also forgot to mention early in this thread... I'm grateful I'm ocd about checking ring gap. I almost forgot to... These lrb rings had a healthy gap of 0.00000000001".

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I disagree: RPM is what would stress it the most. In the cut it wouldn’t be coming to so many starts and stops. And compression wouldn’t kill it, but the stretching action as the crank head back down would be the hardest in the aluminum IMO.
I see your point. And it's valid. Anyone else wanna vote on this?