Staggered uppers on 357?

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flat, get the charge moving, it's gonna do something right or wrong.

Have not done extensive testing to prove/disprove anything on staggagered transfers.

BUT.... What I have noticed from my builds and others is any that "felt" "torquier" "more Torq" "torqué" were simply lacking power to other versions of the same build.

98% of the time is was a lack in power over the whole range.

But I hope to do further testing on the matter sometime.
Agreed, I’ve done both staggered and flat in the same saws.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
did you advance the timing as well?
No. Timing is currently stock.
Flat, get the charge moving, it's gonna do something right or wrong.

Have not done extensive testing to prove/disprove anything on staggagered transfers.

BUT.... What I have noticed from my builds and others is any that "felt" "torquier" "more Torq" "torqué" were simply lacking power to other versions of the same build.

98% of the time is was a lack in power over the whole range.

But I hope to do further testing on the matter sometime.
Very interesting. By flat do you mean primary and secondary open at the same time, flat entry angles or both?

I feel like at 124 I could match the secondary without going too far. If I get more run time and don’t like it maybe I’ll do that. But first, the leak. Damn nipple boot, probably.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. Timing is currently stock.

Very interesting. By flat do you mean primary and secondary open at the same time, flat entry angles or both?

I feel like at 124 I could match the secondary without going too far. If I get more run time and don’t like it maybe I’ll do that. But first, the leak. Damn nipple boot, probably.

Open at the same time. I do tend to run a bit of an up angle. But not a lot. Maybe 10* Or so

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my XS saws that pull hard. 346 impresses me every time. It’s too small to pull that hard. I put an aggressive 24” chain on it to buck and noodle small stringy pine and used the bar and throttle to push or pull rounds around.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The uppers are more than any other place where each individual will give it its own unique run characteristics more than any other one place of the job.
Which I believe is a good thing to distinguish saws from each other from builder to builder. Would be pretty boring if everything were to turn out exactly the same. Besides, there's a pride factor when you come up with your own stuff vs trying to mimic someone else's stuff that you'll never be 100% fully capable of doing anyway.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The uppers are more than any other place where each individual will give it its own unique run characteristics more than any other one place of the job.
Which I believe is a good thing to distinguish saws from each other from builder to builder. Would be pretty boring if everything were to turn out exactly the same. Besides, there's a pride factor when you come up with your own stuff vs trying to mimic someone else's stuff that you'll never be 100% fully capable of doing anyway.

There is a lot of "feel" to doing upper transfers. What's a flat entrance to one might be 10deg. Some many variables that are just tough to measure.