Show us your tractors

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to wonder, a whole lot more, about stuff like that truck also.
Still do wonder about these things actually.

As a kid, I used to wonder why an old workshop near me had rotted down on top its contents.
Tool boxes (long pilferered by scavengers) and an old car, Drill press, lathe, pedestal grinders etc,
just gone to roofless rust under the big oak trees.
Did the guy die in wreck, get sick, retire and sell the place to the developer that came later on or something else stop his plans?

While doing salvage work, I Saw the retirement thing happen once.
Fellow went on vacation and just never came back when the developer made him a large offer. A pricey Location and road re-alignment thing!

.... many years later, eventually started geting my own answers in a frustrating way.
Time and health issues have affected my money and energies for many things over the last 10~15 years.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to wonder, a whole lot more, about stuff like that truck also.
Still do wonder about these things actually.

As a kid, I used to wonder why an old workshop near me had rotted down on top its contents.
Tool boxes (long pilferered by scavengers) and an old car, Drill press, lathe, pedestal grinders etc,
just gone to roofless rust under the big oak trees.
Did the guy die in wreck, get sick, retire and sell the place to the developer that came later on or something else stop his plans?

While doing salvage work, I Saw the retirement thing happen once.
Fellow went on vacation and just never came back when the developer made him a large offer. A pricey Location and road re-alignment thing!

.... many years later, eventually started geting my own answers in a frustrating way.
Time and health issues have affected my money and energies for many things over the last 10~15 years.
When I was young, I'd see nice workshops piled full of junk, or unused. I'll be so jealous of the building, thinking about what all I could accomplish if I had such a place. Now, I'm nearly 60, and have a few buildings of my own.....and not enough energy after making ends meet to do all those things I wanted to do as a young man.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was young, I'd see nice workshops piled full of junk, or unused. I'll be so jealous of the building, thinking about what all I could accomplish if I had such a place. Now, I'm nearly 60, and have a few buildings of my own.....and not enough energy after making ends meet to do all those things I wanted to do as a young man.
The story of life, I'm afraid.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re as young as you want to be. I am 58 and still do stupid chit like a 20 y/o. I just can’t do it for as long. The more i try to do, the more i can do. When you stop trying, well, you know.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re as young as you want to be. I am 58 and still do stupid chit like a 20 y/o. I just can’t do it for as long. The more i try to do, the more i can do. When you stop trying, well, you know.
Something always takes my time. Farm stuff usually. I can't say I don't enjoy what I do though. Sunday I worked on the house....

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New Holland 2120, it's really a Shibaura. Going to feed the mill.

View attachment 395667View attachment 395668

Looks like a real handy rig.

I have a New Holland/Shibaura from the same era. Mine's a TC29d. Bought it 8 years ago with 800 hours and put that many more on it. Mine doesn't have a loader on it, so the guy was having a hard time selling it. It was listed for $5000 and sat on Craigslist for over a month.

It's been a very trouble free machine. Consistently amazes me how fuel efficienct it is. Even hitched to my 5' bush hog cutting thick grass, I can NOT get the thing to burn a gallon of fuel in an hour.

Here's where it sits at the moment. Used it yesterday to chop some bales for mulching some beds of herbs. I cut the ROPS off because I use it a lot in my orchard and they were always in the way, even folded. Also the previous owner had shortened them to fit in a garage, so it was a little suspect to begin with. And, I never wear my seatbelt anyway...20231103_080920.jpg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would love to (afford to 🫤) get a machine of that size in my yard about every 5~8 years.
Box scrape, front end loader, give it ag tires all around though.
This southeast red clay is juuusst getting a little slick (for the industrial tires) when it's damp enough to work, you can almost drive a nail in and bend it over when it's dry and it's sticky as peanut butter once it's gotten a bit wet.

Last time I could rent a small unit, Deere 4x4 with hydro and industrial tires, I spent more time spinning all four gums while hoping the repeting rain from 2~3 days ago would dry up enough to get back some grip.

Upside is that in 8 days rental (w/that February rain. argh.) I got things graded well enough to fix the erosion.
I have a lot that's bout 2 frog farts steeper than a wheelchair ramp, so getting the contours and the fan out zones to dissipate the water energy was pretty important.
Lots of needing to tilt the box and skim about 1" on one side to get it right.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like a fantastic day to spend making firewood the old fashion way. I hope good times were had by all.

I think it was a good time. My Father owns the buck saw, and brought it over after I mentioned wanting to borrow it. I had about a cord's worth of short, small logs needing to get to firewood length. It took a little bit of time getting the saw pinned down to the ground adequately, but once we could tension the belt up enough, we flew through the pile.

Are you thinking about having it ported? Father in law had same setup, nice!

Funny enough, I see that I can get domed pistons for it, and Steiner Tractor sells the LP gas manifold which has larger runners and inherently more flow.... I am resisting the urge to seek more power from it haha.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gets too light on the front with a full tractor crate hooked on the hydraulic forks.
Pictured about 4/5th full of wet cherry, wanted to take off uphill on the road.
The other day I did a small wheely accelerating steep uphill with the crate 3/4th full of fresh oak.

IMG_20231208_143251.jpg

Diff-Lock is a must have, wouldn't have gotten up this trail without it today.
Those are my tracks!

IMG_20231208_120406.jpg

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gets too light on the front with a full tractor crate hooked on the hydraulic forks.
Pictured about 4/5th full of wet cherry, wanted to take off uphill on the road.
The other day I did a small wheely accelerating steep uphill with the crate 3/4th full of fresh oak.

View attachment 399822

Diff-Lock is a must have, wouldn't have gotten up this trail without it today.
Those are my tracks!

View attachment 399825
Is there any ballast in the front?

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I carry 225 gal of water and if it weren't for the ballast in the front, the hood would point towards the stars 😉🤠

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any ballast in the front?
No front end ballast whatsoever!
Simply because it is not needed 95% of all applications.
That tractor crate is not mine, I borrowed it off a very good friend for this application - transporting firewood cut here and there, clearing brush and storm damage.
I own a very heavy duty tractor trailer that would hold 3 cubic meters of content/wood, but even empty it is too heavy to haul over muddy ground as we have right now.

I could fill the front tires with water, or make makeshift front weights - the thing is, I do not want to as it only increases the stresses on the tractors body.
No, I will find a load limit and go once or twice more often!

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's close to me and it's during the dry season, so I pour the tank full, and then I drive slowly in simple terrain because it can vary with max. load on the lift