Country flag

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
1:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is pretty sweet! Did it replace anything or add to the fleet?

It’s my only tractor now. I leased 44 acres of river bottom and needed something to do hay on it with and feed the calves I’m trying to feed up to 600 lbs. it’s almost under powered for the chassis size to me.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
12:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s my only tractor now. I leased 44 acres of river bottom and needed something to do hay on it with and feed the calves I’m trying to feed up to 600 lbs. it’s almost under powered for the chassis size to me.

I seen it has a big 3 in it. Thought that would be stretching it my self. I grew up with turbo 6s in that hp range. Still looks like a super capable machine though.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seen it has a big 3 in it. Thought that would be stretching it my self. I grew up with turbo 6s in that hp range. Still looks like a super capable machine though.

I looked for 2 months for something suitable and the bank said the old iron was worth half what they were asking. I really wanted the 5711 but they didn’t have any and wasn’t sure when they would get it. If I don’t like how it does hay I’ll trade up next year when hopefully there’s more stock in tractors available

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked for 2 months for something suitable and the bank said the old iron was worth half what they were asking. I really wanted the 5711 but they didn’t have any and wasn’t sure when they would get it. If I don’t like how it does hay I’ll trade up next year when hopefully there’s more stock in tractors available

What made you go with Massey? I looked at them when I was shopping for a compact but they did not have machine that fit my needs. All either too small of frame or too little hp for the frame. :(

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What made you go with Massey? I looked at them when I was shopping for a compact but they did not have machine that fit my needs. All either too small of frame or too little hp for the frame. :(

Deere was $20k more for the same HP. Kubota was way lighter. Case and New Holland we’re about the same price but I hadn’t heard much good about their A series and the workmaster series.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deere was $20k more for the same HP. Kubota was way lighter. Case and New Holland we’re about the same price but I hadn’t heard much good about their A series and the workmaster series.

Curious what you heard about the Case and NH. I always like to hear the dislikes more than the fluff.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious what you heard about the Case and NH. I always like to hear the dislikes more than the fluff.

One of their mechanics told my friend who was looking at 65-85 hp tractors the workmaster and A are lighter duty transmissions and the 3 cylinder on them goes all the way to 100 hp as well but has no guts.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of their mechanics told my friend who was looking at 65-85 hp tractors the workmaster and A are lighter duty transmissions and the 3 cylinder on them goes all the way to 100 hp as well but has no guts.

I ended up with an LS MT240 which is the same as a workmaster 40. Totally different class than yours but it has a 1.9t 3cyl in the mid range hp for that engine. I can pull it down good sometimes and can't imagine that engine tuned into a 45 or 50hp tractor. Definitely believe anything over 50hp would be much better suited with a 4.

Damn EPA...

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up with an LS MT240 which is the same as a workmaster 40. Totally different class than yours but it has a 1.9t 3cyl in the mid range hp for that engine. I can pull it down good sometimes and can't imagine that engine tuned into a 45 or 50hp tractor. Definitely believe anything over 50hp would be much better suited with a 4.

Damn EPA...

I wanted an older Ford/New Holland 66-7810 4x4 but I got the new one for less cash down and bought more calves with the savings. 0% for 84 months was nice. I looked at the LS in the 82 hp model with a 4 cylinder but reviews are all over the place. It was low $40k for the 4x4 cab with loader though.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanted an older Ford/New Holland 66-7810 4x4 but I got the new one for less cash down and bought more calves with the savings. 0% for 84 months was nice. I looked at the LS in the 82 hp model with a 4 cylinder but reviews are all over the place. It was low $40k for the 4x4 cab with loader though.

Biggest problem with LS is dealer network. Most the dealers are jank little shady places that sell from price point rather than a service to the customer mentality. Really sad because they make a decent compact for sure. I am one of the lucky ones that has a super honest and capable dealer that I know will be there tomorrow selling my brand. It's not if, but when the tractor breaks and how the dealer takes care of you. I too read a lot of reviews and noticed all the real negative ones where due to dealer/customer relations. :(

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Biggest problem with LS is dealer network. Most the dealers are jank little shady places that sell from price point rather than a service to the customer mentality. Really sad because they make a decent compact for sure. I am one of the lucky ones that has a super honest and capable dealer that I know will be there tomorrow selling my brand. It's not if, but when the tractor breaks and how the dealer takes care of you. I too read a lot of reviews and noticed all the real negative ones where due to dealer/customer relations. :(

We have a good dealer for them and Kioti. Kioti was too close to Massey price wise so I went with Massey instead. It’s done everything I’ve asked well except pull a 6 ton fertilizer buggy. It was under powered for that.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a good dealer for them and Kioti. Kioti was too close to Massey price wise so I went with Massey instead. It’s done everything I’ve asked well except pull a 6 ton fertilizer buggy. It was under powered for that.

I have heard good things about kioti too but no dealers around.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard good things about kioti too but no dealers around.

That was my last tractor. It was a Perkins 3 cylinder with turbo at 65 hp and it was a good tractor after the main hydraulic pump was replaced at 330 hours. I wanted enough pto HP to run a small grinder if we find one. I’m trying to get into backgrounding light weight calves from 3/400 to 550-600 and sell a pot load at once.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was my last tractor. It was a Perkins 3 cylinder with turbo at 65 hp and it was a good tractor after the main hydraulic pump was replaced at 330 hours. I wanted enough pto HP to run a small grinder if we find one. I’m trying to get into backgrounding light weight calves from 3/400 to 550-600 and sell a pot load at once.

Gotta quit talking tractors. I'll never get this dana 80 back together! :D

PXL_20210328_140926353.jpg