Sent from Hoskey hilltop

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m gonna be honest. I haven’t been a fan of the newer equipment. I think I’m gonna run older Deere’s and case magnums until I can’t find them anymore.

not bashing anyone with newer equipment but the electronics are just getting ridiculous.

I think agriculture equipment should be kept as simple as possible. The environment they work in doesn’t do well with 10 million wires and switches that are honestly unnecessary.

rant over.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m gonna be honest. I haven’t been a fan of the newer equipment. I think I’m gonna run older Deere’s and case magnums until I can’t find them anymore.

not bashing anyone with newer equipment but the electronics are just getting ridiculous.

I think agriculture equipment should be kept as simple as possible. The environment they work in doesn’t do well with 10 million wires and switches that are honestly unnecessary.

rant over.

Agreed
All that stuff is great when it works but a pia when it doesn’t

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed
All that stuff is great when it works but a pia when it doesn’t

Sent from Hoskey hilltop
When you’re broken down for a day or three because the planter gps doesn’t respond....

then you have your mechanic telling you that the next call is for a new tractor that won’t go into reverse..

I miss the ground driven planter. Don’t get me wrong the new planter is very nice. But. All that stuff has to work or you can’t plant.

planted 15 acres last year twice because my dumb ass shut a switch off. My fault completely but still irritating

the magnums are bringing super big money now. They have enough electronics but at least you can bypass most of it.

I’ve got some old IH and Deere’s around that I may consider rebuilding when that day comes. At least they work pretty reliably.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning @Wilhelm , Gotta ask ya why no coulter wheels on that plow? Those plows look wide and in heavy soil seems as if they would help that tractor out. Maybe even go to a three bottom set up then
We never burned the straw and corn plant leftovers after the harvest and the two wheels kept catching it all and piling it up.
Dad took the wheels off and the issue went away, the wheels are stashed in the wood shed.

Without the wheels dad doesn't have to back up and unclog piled up junk which saves him time and reduces aggravation, it may be a little more work for the tractor though.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you’re broken down for a day or three because the planter gps doesn’t respond....

then you have your mechanic telling you that the next call is for a new tractor that won’t go into reverse..

I miss the ground driven planter. Don’t get me wrong the new planter is very nice. But. All that stuff has to work or you can’t plant.

planted 15 acres last year twice because my dumb ass shut a switch off. My fault completely but still irritating

the magnums are bringing super big money now. They have enough electronics but at least you can bypass most of it.

I’ve got some old IH and Deere’s around that I may consider rebuilding when that day comes. At least they work pretty reliably.

Exactly
The 3pt hitch is electric over hydraulic, sometimes works sometimes no work, on the 8270.
It has 4 aux valves, don’t ever use the 4th
I think I’m going to hook up the 3pt cylinders to that

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That was my issue finding a good used tractor that the bank thought was worth half of what the price was. It was easier to buy new and not argue with the banks to finance something.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was my issue finding a good used tractor that the bank thought was worth half of what the price was. It was easier to buy new and not argue with the banks to finance something.
A couple 89 magnums. I think that was the year. Under 200 hp that just sold for 50000 w 4000 hours on them. 7130 I think was the number on them. I was at the sale. Wasn’t shopping but went to grab a breakfast sandwich

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple 89 magnums. I think that was the year. Under 200 hp that just sold for 50000 w 4000 hours on them. 7130 I think was the number on them. I was at the sale. Wasn’t shopping but went to grab a breakfast sandwich

I can believe it. Deere 55 series are about that price. And 3155 are over $30k. I’m a big Ford fan in the older stuff and a 7840 if you can find one is retarded priced.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can believe it. Deere 55 series are about that price. And 3155 are over $30k. I’m a big Ford fan in the older stuff and a 7840 if you can find one is retarded priced.
I like the 55 60 series Deere as well. Just put 4 tires on our 49. Bkt radials 20.8 38 1200 a pop
I forget the front size but they were 700 and some change.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

rant over.

I completely agree!

I don't mind all the electronic stuff since I mess with it everyday in my job. Also keep in mind I don't rely on it to pay my bills. I really like the DOC and particulate trap because it does not smell gross when I'm using my little tractor inside the barn or shop. But SCR and EGR can kiss my AZZ.
I like the 55 60 series Deere as well. Just put 4 tires on our 49. Bkt radials 20.8 38 1200 a pop

Have a set of bkt bias on the front of our fwa loader tractor about 10 years ago. They have been holding up well.

My local supplier carries starmaxx brand. I put a set of bias ply on the rear of my hay tractor last summer. Look like a decent tire. Wanted to spring for the radials but I only put 100 hours or so on it a year. Can't justify the cost.

20200721_203651_HDR.jpg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone help this city-fied idiot (me) out for a second. What the heck are the three elliptical spots between the tread lugs (on the new Firestones) for?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone help this city-fied idiot (me) out for a second. What the heck are the three elliptical spots between the tread lugs (on the new Firestones) for?

Ejecting caked on mud. Or at least they are supposed to...

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Tires are outrageous for those bigger tractors. Mine came with trelloberg and I’m sure it won’t get the same when I have to replace them

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting all of this stuff guys.
I bounce around this place and try to catch some things that help me keep a perspective on life.
Seeing that one tire (and not mining equip sized) can cost as much as I have in all five (full sized spare) did for my truck, has a way of keeping my head a little straighter in these days.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BKT tires!

Thread wear marks, You change the tire when they wear down that far?! o_O

So many new tires. :eek:
Our tractor got new front tires once, that's it.
5C747899-002A-4AE3-B1E6-14AF2442F5F5.jpeg If those are the marks you guys are talking about. I did wear them down to those. These were bkt bias. They were fine. I pull heavy stuff with that old John so the radials went back this time. Work a lot of ground with that one. Pull ripper etc.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8867BB05-CB85-40D9-8C9E-48C2BAE37A8E.jpeg EF9B3A23-2203-400D-A2C2-C1ECD50B5534.jpeg This Ol girl got the old tires off the back of the 49 for duals today. Glad that’s done. We’ve had some wet weather and the fields here are destroyed so gonna hook this tractor to something to work some ground with too.
she’s got brand new firestones from last year on her. They were on sale then. Kinda wish the firestones were on the 49 but I wasn’t willing to swap all that around too much work