Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first Dolmar PS-9010 muffler, what a pain in the butt!!! :confused:

Cutting the factory welds open without damaging the muffler body too much was tedious.
IMG_20220222_185758.jpg

Getting rid of the baffles even more so.
IMG_20220222_185723~2.jpg IMG_20220224_181346~2.jpg IMG_20220224_181412~2.jpg

Welding the muffler back together with a supermarket flux core welder wasn't fun either.
IMG_20220305_194929.jpg

I guess it will be good enough for whom it's for.

I'd rather do 10 PS-7900 mufflers than another one of these, but there is one more waiting on its turn. :mad:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
1:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why didn't you cut the tab and fins off the back outlet?
Three reasons: 1: it’s loud enough for me. 2: it routes the exhaust to blow over the top of the 2nd deflector so it doesn’t hit the 2nd deflector and burn the top cover. Which already has a reputation for melting on this model. 3: no need to add any more outlet area. It’s at 100-125% exhaust port width with the two outlets. However…. on my 395 that’s a single gutted port, yes I removed those tabs.

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Three reasons: 1: it’s loud enough for me. 2: it routes the exhaust to blow over the top of the 2nd deflector so it doesn’t hit the 2nd deflector and burn the top cover. Which already has a reputation for melting on this model. 3: no need to add any more outlet area. It’s at 100-125% exhaust port width with the two outlets. However…. on my 395 that’s a single gutted port, yes I removed those tabs.
Why not add an exit on the flywheel side to rid the operator of fumes & heat, as well as allow a much more efficient instrument or tool for the task at hand ???o_O

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not add an exit on the flywheel side to rid the operator of fumes & heat, as well as allow a much more efficient instrument or tool for the task at hand ???o_O
Nah. I prefer pto side outlets if possible. Nothing wrong with doing it your way either Kev. Just personal preference. Use what works best for you.

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just personal preference. Use what works best for you.
I get it, you don't do much flush cuts or milling.

The 394/5 mufflers tend to "bounce" exhaust back into the saw & operator when modded your way, especially on the larger diameter cuts. those same muffler mods stumping really lets the guy know what kind of dirt the tree grew up in, and milling lets the operator know what fuel and oil they use

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't you have to cut plastic when you mod your way Kevin? I wonder why the Hooskie engineers didn't put the factory deflector on the other side?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't you have to cut plastic when you mod your way Kevin? I wonder why the Hooskie engineers didn't put the factory deflector on the other side?
Most muffler modifications require trimming of something, in this case, a little nip/tuck here/there doesn't hurt anything.

My point is that not everyone is felling all day, saws are used in multiple scenarios and multiple ways.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get it, you don't do much flush cuts or milling.

The 394/5 mufflers tend to "bounce" exhaust back into the saw & operator when modded your way, especially on the larger diameter cuts. those same muffler mods stumping really lets the guy know what kind of dirt the tree grew up in, and milling lets the operator know what fuel and oil they use
I milled with a 395xp and it was a better experience with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On saws that are generally all purpose I appreciate pipe exits that truly direct exhaust gasses away from the operator...however, sometimes it's unreasonable to ask a builder to do a pipe exit due to muffler material and or thickness. To me, deflectors allow the gasses to swirl around the operators hands and face while cutting a stump or falling a monster. Just one stupid guys opinion.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a 395 with a stock muffler while milling, that mfer was nasty at best and it nearly made me pass out at one point. The exhaust just wouldn't leave, it would hover around and choke me out unless I had my head positioned just right so I could benefit from the air movement near the flywheel. Fast forward to when I put my 2100 on the mill and all the nasty exhaust issues were gone. As I recall, on the 2100 the exhaust points sorta down towards the bottom of the saw so even when you're bucking/felling a big one the exhaust is getting blown away from where you're cutting.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a 395 with a stock muffler while milling, that mfer was nasty at best and it nearly made me pass out at one point. The exhaust just wouldn't leave, it would hover around and choke me out unless I had my head positioned just right so I could benefit from the air movement near the flywheel. Fast forward to when I put my 2100 on the mill and all the nasty exhaust issues were gone. As I recall, on the 2100 the exhaust points sorta down towards the bottom of the saw so even when you're bucking/felling a big one the exhaust is getting blown away from where you're cutting.

Yeah. The exhaust just adds to the dust and noise punishment. I’m not sure about heat issues, but I’ve thought that an expansion pipe at 90 degrees to the FW side might be a valuable addition to a mill setup. The outlet would be much higher in the air and you get more horses.