Shark Fins

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Store is unreal busy and haven't had time to visit with all my friends here. And apologies if I'm not responding to PM's all that fast. But some of this insanity needs to be shared, so I thought I'd kick off the weekend's entertainment.

Proving that dementia is hereditary...................These 2 brothers bring in Dad's 365. They've been cutting up some storm damage and are helping their Dad because he's "getting dementia and really shouldn't be running a saw." Tells me he was tightening the chain and the tensioner "just fell apart", then opened his hands to show me the parts. Told him, "This is the tensioner over here, those parts are from the oil pump and you busted it by horse'ing on it trying to tighten the chain. And it's a $63 oil pump. BTW, the chain is on backwards too." The one brother says, "Well which way are the shark fins supposed to point?" "The shark what?" Poor dude points to the depth gauges!

Then there's this chick I know who couldn't comprehend the difference between a standard or "R" reverse terminal battery. She asked me what could happen if she hooks it up wrong, and I said "Nothing serious but you better unplug all of your kitchen appliances just in case."

It's gonna get stranger too, cause the Stihl dealer a half mile down the road is closing next month. That should prove interesting.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
1:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be in the automotive world. It gets really dumb there.
Just yesterday, I got handed a work order for a 2018 truck that said "Customer states his truck is geared too low."
Yeah, so, you want me to order gears or sell him a different truck??
Had another a while back that they cannot get in local radio stations (local meaning here) when they are 75-100 miles away...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually we'd (I'd) recommend a battery or electric saw to some of these types. But I'm not even sure I'd do that here. They need one of those bone saw ropes with the finger rings on either end

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually we'd (I'd) recommend a battery or electric saw to some of these types. But I'm not even sure I'd do that here. They need one of those bone saw ropes with the finger rings on either end

I gave them a card for a local tree company. Told them if they feel like they might be in a little over their heads it's better to call the tree guy than call an ambulance. :)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be in the automotive world. It gets really dumb there.
Just yesterday, I got handed a work order for a 2018 truck that said "Customer states his truck is geared too low."
Yeah, so, you want me to order gears or sell him a different truck??
Had another a while back that they cannot get in local radio stations (local meaning here) when they are 75-100 miles away...

Wow. And I think that service writer could some additional training. :)

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, but the dealership owner says "every complaint is a legitimate complaint"..

My all time favorite was
"Customer states it gets too hot in vehicle with heat set to high".

Customer refused to turn heat down and wanted it set to high at all times as they were worried about windshield icing, but yet wanted it cooler in the vehicle.
My suggestion to the service writer of "roll down a window then" was frowned upon.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other day at work, cast iron factory, a coworker operating a 3-axis mill for the last two months, high volume serial production.
The parts he's processing feature blind threads, he stops me as I walk by and asks me to reduce the processing depth by several millimeters. I'm familiar with the particular parts that he is processing and know it is impossible to have too much thread depth so I ask him how much thread depth does he have now. He takes his digital caliper, sticks it all the way into the hole and shows me the calipers display.
I tell him that he didn't measure the thread depth but the drilled hole depth, he looks at me funny and asks "What thread?".
He is obligated to do processing quality control for which purpose each part has a processing work sheet - all I could think in that moment was "How did he check his work till now?".

I don't know what to think, is it lack of knowledge, lack of interest for ones workplace, or something else - but it is sad and this trend is on the rise.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shark fins I like that!! Lol I have two funny “Stories from the parts store” one time their was this lady freaking out at the counter guy, asking where the wire was that went from the battery to the ground, “no not the wire from the battery to the cars ground, I want the one that touches the ground(literally dragging pavement) my mechanic said I need a new ground wire!!! Lol

A different day, a lady was in asking for help, see said “I know I am doing everything right...every time the check engine light god on...I add a quart of oil...but now it’s making weird noises....she had put over 2-1/2 gallons of oil in a Honda Civic!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Crazy thing is Bob, all of those issues are covered in the owners manual. Most of us don't need to read every word of the owners manual to know how to run a new saw. But those guys clearly should have but apparently to proud to do so?? At any rate, that's the #1 reason I don't lend my saws to anyone except a select few I KNOW are trustworthy and knowledgeable about saws.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crazy thing is Bob, all of those issues are covered in the owners manual. Most of us don't need to read every word of the owners manual to know how to run a new saw. But those guys clearly should have but apparently to proud to do so?? At any rate, that's the #1 reason I don't lend my saws to anyone except a select few I KNOW are trustworthy and knowledgeable about saws.

Awful lot of customers bringing in something for repair begin with: "I let somebody borrow this................."

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shark fins I like that!! Lol I have two funny “Stories from the parts store” one time their was this lady freaking out at the counter guy, asking where the wire was that went from the battery to the ground, “no not the wire from the battery to the cars ground, I want the one that touches the ground(literally dragging pavement) my mechanic said I need a new ground wire!!! Lol

A different day, a lady was in asking for help, see said “I know I am doing everything right...every time the check engine light god on...I add a quart of oil...but now it’s making weird noises....she had put over 2-1/2 gallons of oil in a Honda Civic!

Reminds me of the time about 10 years ago, a Cadillac DTS got towed in. Guy had a low washer fluid message on. Got a gallon, poured it in. Still had message.
He ended up pouring in roughly 3 1/2 gallons. Except he was pouring it in the crankcase of his Northstar v8.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, but the dealership owner says "every complaint is a legitimate complaint"..

My all time favorite was

Customer refused to turn heat down and wanted it set to high at all times as they were worried about windshield icing, but yet wanted it cooler in the vehicle.
My suggestion to the service writer of "roll down a window then" was frowned upon.

Some places do carry that "customer's always right" thinking to absurd extremes. That attitude feeds the customer's ignorance instead of educating them on how the vehicle actually works. There's this thing called reality..............

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some places do carry that "customer's always right" thinking to absurd extremes. That attitude feeds the customer's ignorance instead of educating them on how the vehicle actually works. There's this thing called reality..............
OK so they're not Shark fins .....gotcha...

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Store is unreal busy and haven't had time to visit with all my friends here. And apologies if I'm not responding to PM's all that fast. But some of this insanity needs to be shared, so I thought I'd kick off the weekend's entertainment.

Proving that dementia is hereditary...................These 2 brothers bring in Dad's 365. They've been cutting up some storm damage and are helping their Dad because he's "getting dementia and really shouldn't be running a saw." Tells me he was tightening the chain and the tensioner "just fell apart", then opened his hands to show me the parts. Told him, "This is the tensioner over here, those parts are from the oil pump and you busted it by horse'ing on it trying to tighten the chain. And it's a $63 oil pump. BTW, the chain is on backwards too." The one brother says, "Well which way are the shark fins supposed to point?" "The shark what?" Poor dude points to the depth gauges!

Then there's this chick I know who couldn't comprehend the difference between a standard or "R" reverse terminal battery. She asked me what could happen if she hooks it up wrong, and I said "Nothing serious but you better unplug all of your kitchen appliances just in case."

It's gonna get stranger too, cause the Stihl dealer a half mile down the road is closing next month. That should prove interesting.
A guy called and asked what could that
Red *s-word
Do to his saw
To me a minute of talking to him to figure out he used
Off road diesel instead of red armor.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My all time favorite was

I woulda put “can’t fix stupid” on the repair note...

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Neighbor got a grinder
I can't use it be he'll sharpen
My chains for free20180325_103033.jpg