Redfin

Meh...
Local time
9:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you feel about it?

Well Doc, it all started a few years ago when I bought a 660 and was extremely unsatisfied with how it ran. Randy fixed that and I have been spoiled ever since........:p

When I ported the top 661 I gave it 1 more degree of blowdown than it had factory. I really liked the way it ran stock so I figured a nice little comp bump would be all it needs. That saw did suprise me how well it responded.

The second vid. The ex is a tad higher with even more blowdown. Even though the cut times are almost identical the second saw does feel stronger. The difference is probably just my technique.

Chris Zautner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's some that I would give a try in a race saw.
C20 unleaded non oxygenated
Vp 101 unleaded oxygenated ethanol
C11 leaded non oxygenated non ethanol
C45 leaded oxygenated but requires more fuel so big carb.
M5 if you want methanol.
These are all fuels I would consider using in a race saw.
Just wash the system with regular fuel after oxygenated and methanol fuels were run.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well Doc, it all started a few years ago when I bought a 660 and was extremely unsatisfied with how it ran. Randy fixed that and I have been spoiled ever since........:p

When I ported the top 661 I gave it 1 more degree of blowdown than it had factory. I really liked the way it ran stock so I figured a nice little comp bump would be all it needs. That saw did suprise me how well it responded.

The second vid. The ex is a tad higher with even more blowdown. Even though the cut times are almost identical the second saw does feel stronger. The difference is probably just my technique.
My 066 always feels stronger than any other saw I run,even when it ain't the fastest it still feels like it is.
It sounds faster and I think it tricks your mind.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your right J. Been told the second 661 sounds better. They are dang close. The second has a popup and reletively close numbers but they sound different.

Its amazing how little changes in these things can have such an impact on the big picture of these things. Good times, I just havin fun measing with them.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your right J. Been told the second 661 sounds better. They are dang close. The second has a popup and reletively close numbers but they sound different.

Its amazing how little changes in these things can have such an impact on the big picture of these things. Good times, I just havin fun measing with them.
It's another good reason I run everything against another and time it. I've beat my saw several times with others I've built according to the timer but according to feel mine is ahead of every one.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I notice the spring AV saws feel much different than the rubber ones, makes it even harder for me to judge their power. 661s just feel fast & smooth, but they don't jerk you into the wood the same.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple more saws with the 404 bar and the big gear. I keep saying it but a 8pin 404 is giant.

Saws look good J.

Pretty sure the 3/8 9 pin is bigger.
But it takes more power to run the bigger chain. So it's hard to compare.

All I know is them saws turn that 404 like its Lo pro

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Jason. Sounded like the RPM's were a little lower than normal. Probably due to the 8 pin rim and the 404. Would the saw cut faster with 3/8" chain and a 7 pin rim? Would that give the saw higher RPM's to allows the chain to cut faster?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice Jason. Sounded like the RPM's were a little lower than normal. Probably due to the 8 pin rim and the 404. Would the saw cut faster with 3/8" chain and a 7 pin rim? Would that give the saw higher RPM's to allows the chain to cut faster?
The only reason I have that bar and a 8pin 404 is to see if they will run it.
It takes a lot of grunt to run that gear and the big chain,I've got lots of other setups that would be faster but none of them will load a saw like that one. The chain is far from stock also.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Thanks for the explanation. That chain combo definitely loaded the saw up! But it still pulled it. Impressive.

Last edited:

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported 660.
Cut the band, cut the base.
Blended lowers to the case.
Widened intake/exhaust
OEM 660 piston.
Widened uppers to intake.
Raised uppers.
Finished at 98/123/82
.020 squish
Surface ground OEM gasket to .015"
Looks like ported saws get the hornets in a frenzy too... thought you were gonna get swarmed there... or do you just have ginormous mosquitos in your parts?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple more saws with the 404 bar and the big gear. I keep saying it but a 8pin 404 is giant.

Good to see them in some timber offering a touch of resistance mate!
I ran my 066 with a 25" and 404/8 pin quartering up big rounds one day.
noodles went a good 20' back and the chain stretched more than it ever has.

You really know your holding a 90+ cc saw running 404 full chisel and an 8 pin.

Cant wait to get it ported

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like ported saws get the hornets in a frenzy too... thought you were gonna get swarmed there... or do you just have ginormous mosquitos in your parts?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
We do have ginormous skeeters here, but those are actually steady bees. They are harmless other than being a nuisance and this year is the worst I've ever seen em. They say they are seeking out moisture. The area I live in is notorious for its hard pan. I'm smack dab in the middle of some of the best farm ground in central Kentucky due in large part to said hard pan. Soil stays rich and holds moisture. Believe it or not elevation is up here in contrast to other areas in central Ky.