Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done a little more work on the carb. Still more to go to get the idle down good and proper.
I'd still say s it's making good progress, here it is running a 10-pin 3/8 set up.

Dang Jim....that’s lookin good. Didn’t sound like rpms came down hardly at all!!

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 55 sounded good till it got so much load on it. It was being pulled down right to clutch stall. With a super aggressive chain like that you may jave to hold it up/back a bit to keep the revs up in the powerband. How well did the 028 piston fit?
Piston was much taller, required clearance work between the bosses and a relief in the pop up for the spark plug. Don’t know how much I cut from the band, it was a lot.
Right now at 102.5/120/78 making 235psi on assembly with a single ring.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston was much taller, required clearance work between the bosses and a relief in the pop up for the spark plug. Don’t know how much I cut from the band, it was a lot.
Right now at 102.5/120/78 making 235psi on assembly with a single ring.
Don’t know if I’m done or not, thinking blowdown is a bit low, may end up around 100 on the exhaust.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Deets066 , I do appreciate your feedback.
That’s why I’m here.
I want to learn, play and build fast saws.
I wasn’t the generation that got a participation trophy.
If you won, you go for ice cream, if you lose, you practice.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t see anything higher than 105 helping speed on this size saw. But I keep learning...
Me too, im still in tard class lol. But ive seen 346s (i know this isnt a 346 but still) with exhaust ranging from 95-96 to 105 or so, and they both ran hard. Theres more to it than just exhaust # right? @Fruecrue could easily mess with blowdown and have a gain, or raise exhaust and transfers and have a gain, or cut base and band and piston more and have a gain as well. Thats what keeps us all comin back right haha

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too, im still in tard class lol. But ive seen 346s with exhaust ranging from 95-96 to 105 or so, and they both ran hard. Theres more to it than just exhaust # right? @Fruecrue could easily mess with blowdown and have a gain, or raise exhaust and transfers and have a gain, or cut base and band and piston more and have a gain as well. Thats what keeps us all comin back right haha

Yep! Everything is a symphony on these. Seems like pick a place for one parameter and make the rest work with it. And angles matter as much as anything I think.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep! Everything is a symphony on these. Seems like pick a place for one parameter and make the rest work with it. And angles matter as much as anything I think.
And the intented use. Firewood saw numbers may not translate into play saw numbers the same way.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking physically lower...less duration...longer power sroke
This jug is not going lower unless I relieve the pop up.
Original squish was .048
Used a factory base gasket and 028 super piston.
Crown was 0.142” higher than oem.
I’m at .022” squish now.
I cut a lot from the band, didn’t drop the jug at all.
If anything, there’s still some exhaust width to be had. Mayhaps that would be a benefit with only 17.5 degrees blowdown.