Saw video thread

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both saws are using the same chain, a handfile by me that is a bit too aggressive on the rakers, you can see me struggle a bit.

Both saws are stock porting, with only a couple things like base gasket delete.

440 clone has 155 psi

61 is wearing a closed port cylinder and has 210 psi

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no experience with the 61, but that 440 ran great.

Don't know if you took .020 off the key of the 440 for a timing advance, but that may even make it stronger!

044/440s are one of my favorite saws, great power to weight.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both saws are using the same chain, a handfile by me that is a bit too aggressive on the rakers, you can see me struggle a bit.

Both saws are stock porting, with only a couple things like base gasket delete.

440 clone has 155 psi

61 is wearing a closed port cylinder and has 210 psi

They both run well.
It didn't look like either saw struggled with the chain.
Don't dog in, just set the saw on the wood and watch it eat in that wood.Doing it this way will take out some of the variables, then you will be able to see where they are really at. If the wood is hard enough that you need to dog in then smaller rocking motions are going to give better times from my experience. That being said, the 440 should have a bit more torque and could be dogged in a bit more or the chain made more aggressive.
High compression is not the end all, many more factors to making a saw cut fast, and as the saying goes theres no substitute for cubic inches.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MustangMike - thanks, I was hoping the 61 would have kept up a bit better. Im going to work on that!

Do you think porting could get it past my clone? Or would I need a bigger bore plus porting?

How smooth is your Asian 440?

If it vibrates too much, OEM buffers are likely to cure it. The three most needing replacement are the upper one on the recoil side, and the two large ones on the clutch side. If you compare the large OEM buffers to the AM ones, you will see that the AM ones are larger and push the engine over too far.

Changing those 3 buffers for OEM will make a big difference. Also, make sure your top handle is not torquing the saw too much. I have sometimes "played" with them a bit to make the saw smoother.

Last edited:

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@chipper1 - Thank you for the detailed response, I was hoping to get a comment like that to help me understand a bit better on timing a cut and techniques.
Also thanks for picking up on my compression question, I figured the 440 having quite a bit less compression would even out the displacement advantage but you cleared that up. Also the 440 has a baffled 460 muffler so it's way quieter than than the original dual port 440 muffler or the 61. The 440 is treat to run.

@huskyboy - I would love to do a 372 build one day. I really enjoyed working on this old oem 61. It was easy and fairly cheap. I'd imagine an oem 372 is out of my range for playing with right now. Not sure if I want to take the clone saw gamble again, I'm up right now playing with Chinese house money, and pretty happy with it. I'm due for a chinese dud if I buy another. Ha.

@MustangMike - Thanks! I didn't know what to expect since I don't have much to compare it to. The closed port 61 makes the 440 clone feel a lot stronger than I thought. I haven't done the timing advance yet on the 440. The 61 is definitely snappier and it would be neat to have that 440 feel similar off idle.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the larger tillotson 224 carb rebuilt and swapped over on the closed port 61. This one is 20mm vs 18mm. See picture.

Screenshot_20220119-191748_Gallery.jpg

I did some test cuts. It feels better up top for sure. I have to change my test cut wood so I will need to run both again to see if they are any closer.