Saw video thread

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was an insurance job for sure, tree was 4’ at the base and and around 150’ tall, over 3 foot in diameter were it his the barn, and 18’ eves. it was in the middle of the pandemic price issues the plywood was almost $70 a sheet and the brekenridge was $115 a sheet! The insurance company called a tree service, with a crane.
Was try to start anything, I thought @Maintenance Chief drawing was funny, and have seen a double notch before.
Here in production softwood county, there is a ton of waist, its more about making a profit all around, full loads on the log truck and as fast as possible! If a log deck has only a 3/4 or less of wood, it gets left. Unless it’s a private, small operation.
Then it probably weighed a bit more than I said above lol.
That's why I don't quote off pictures for jobs, I better look closer on my phone next time lol
Did you do that one, or just the construction.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then it probably weighed a bit more than I said above lol.
That's why I don't quote off pictures for jobs, I better look closer on my phone next time lol
Did you do that one, or just the construction.
Lol, no worries, it was all insurance, and I am not in the tree business. So we just did the repairs, it was stupid expensive! We build the original building, and luckily the truss company still had the file, it was 3 systems old, it’s a pretty cool barnC787DDD9-C3A1-4996-87BF-7C4DC083FCF1.jpeg CA1853F6-1BC0-44C0-80AB-DC33A063B69D.jpeg
After repairs
5AA213A7-FF28-4CAA-9FCA-49F9FDBB71ED.jpeg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neighbor's excavator with a thumb. Lift it off and cut on the ground.

@rogue60 notching had nothing to do with @Bigmac debacle. Many use rogue felling technique with success, he is not showing two notches on same tree. Notch, back cut and wedge it over, what's the problem?
What are you on about?
I was talking about mill logs different subject.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do they store in there, pretty tall side walls.
Ya, it had to be that tall to load blocks of hay with a hay squeeze., so it’s a hay barn/
So, he had an open field and dropped it on building, WTH?
Yes exactly, that’s why the pic was so funny! It was unnecessary

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here on the coast, it doesn't really matter because a lot of our softwood trees here have big root flare and the mills don't want the root flare (I'm
guessing it's the same for mills around the world). So Humboldt or conventional, whatever works best for the faller works for everyone else in the
chain. The loggers don't really care except on government sales where there's a maximum stump height written into the sale contract. Even if a
guy takes the effort to make a lower stump here, he ends up cutting two-three-four feet off the butt to get out of the flare and that wood is left in
the brush for the bugs to eat.

Over on the east side of our state, it can be different as there's more flat ground there and very little root flare. Those boys are trying to get
maximum scale so you'll see even long time fallers rolling conventional on the flatter ground.

Yeah I get all that jacob my lost in translation question and focuse was basically more about the grading of mill logs with a chunk missing to me that seemed like waste on the butt end from a conventional I didn't get it the log is now short that side.
Down here mills would not be happy paying for logs like that at minimum the log length would be down graded in length to clean that butt up, but that's just hypothetical as I've never seen it myself. Any cleaning up of the butt is done in the bush by the cutter or on the dump before loading.
Down here as I said I've never seen a conventional in logging for mill logs, hardwood mill logs fetch big bucks you can pay 10k for a truck load of quota logs, a logging outfit depending on species can be paying $250 or more a cube m³ on royalty.
Here cutters make good money and are paid by the cube m³
Things are obviously done different around the world was just going off what I've seen youtubes europe seems the big steep conventional is common in logging hardwoods, I didn't and still don't get how that is gaining anything anyways I'll ask my dad when I see him what the go is.

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! The plans were drawn on a napkin, over dinner, and adult beverages
Funny, I just suggested someone make a drawing like that for me at 11:06 tonight lol.
I finally got started on my barn, it sure will be nice when it's done.
Managed to get the roof on (minus the rakes and the ridge cap) and the grade set before the snow came to stay. Hopefully I can pour the floor in the spring after the frost laws come off the road here. Plenty to do this winter, just need some nicer weather.
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 12.58.17 AM.png

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I get all that jacob my lost in translation question and focuse was basically more about the grading of mill logs with a chunk missing to me that seemed like waste on the butt end from a conventional I didn't get it the log is now short that side.
Down here mills would not be happy paying for logs like that at minimum the log length would be down graded in length to clean that butt up, but that's just hypothetical as I've never seen it myself. Any cleaning up of the butt is done in the bush by the cutter or on the dump before loading.
Down here as I said I've never seen a conventional in logging for mill logs, hardwood mill logs fetch big bucks you can pay 10k for a truck load of quota logs, a logging outfit depending on species can be paying $250 or more a cube m³ on royalty.
Here cutters make good money and are paid by the cube m³
Things are obviously done different around the world was just going off what I've seen youtubes europe seems the big steep conventional is common in logging hardwoods, I didn't and still don't get how that is gaining anything anyways I'll ask my dad when I see him what the go is.

Out here on our grade walnut and oak we never notch. The pay is always for full sided length.