Saw video thread

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I'll correct myself -- it's the "Maxflow" filter to try. No cover... just bolt on the foam and give her a go.
I'll give this a shot w/ my hybrid next time I have it out.

Maybe I'll hit the sugarbush over the break and do some testing.
I think removing the cover helps to keep filter cleaner longer but ya can’t use it in the rain or snowing conditions :(. I think the max flo would be nice with the cover it comes with, best all around setup for a worksaw perhaps?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea Kevin. I run them. I don't build them.
Simma down now big guy..
It's all good...
AND leave my mother out of it...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea Kevin. I run them. I don't build them.
Simma down now big guy..
It's all good...
AND leave my mother out of it...
Just seemed like a cheap shot to me.

I spend 10-12 hours on a saw trying to make something that’s powerful, clean-looking, and will stand the test of time and it’s insinuated that the power all comes from a healthy timing advance

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I spend 10-12 hours on a saw trying to make something that’s powerful, clean-looking, and will stand the test of time and it’s insinuated that the power all comes from a healthy timing advance
I dont think that's what jeff was insinuating at all, Kevin. We all know you do excellent work and are turning out good product.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You find any gains retarding timing yet? [emoji6]

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eric’s hybrid is quite the hybrid. Doc ported it. I ran it a while back. 25” 8 pin.

She's not even broken in yet. Gotta get a few more tanks through.
We used it at a land clearing job in November and really enjoyed dropping and bucking a few nice oaks with her... Pulls with authority. In that case was running Stihl lightweight bar 28" with 7 pin and LGX oregon chain. I tried to use RS but I am much happier with a freshly filed LGX loop and I'll be sticking w/ that :)

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every now and then it’s there. The real high rpm saws advance fights itself. One had a head and much more efficient chamber too. That might have helped a lot

I’ve heard it mentioned before. I could definitely see it fighting itself on a really high rpm saw. Most of the stuff I do is geared between spicy and torquey. I don’t venture into the race market much

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the subject of timing advance, a saw popping in the cut with too much advance is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Makes me cringe :confused:. I’ve had to dial back the timing advance some other people did to saws I’ve had go thru here to fix. I don’t say anything, you just learn what not to do lol. I was conservative with the 440 (about .018 off the key) because I didn’t want it kicking the pull cord. Which is annoying on a worksaw, wears on you and the starter after a while.

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the subject of timing advance, a saw popping in the cut with too much advance is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Makes me cringe :confused:. I’ve had to dial back the timing advance some other people did to saws I’ve had go thru here to fix. I don’t say anything, you just learn what not to do lol. I was conservative with the 440 (about .018 off the key) because I didn’t want it kicking the pull cord. Which is annoying on a worksaw, wears on you and the starter after a while.

Some kick the pull cord, some don’t. Some quit popping under load or with a leaner tune. Some will pop even leaned out to where there is a bog from idle. It’s a fine line between getting some added performance and going a bit too far.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some kick the pull cord, some don’t. Some quit popping under load or with a leaner tune. Some will pop even leaned out to where there is a bog from idle. It’s a fine line between getting some added performance and going a bit too far.
I’m cool with sacrificing a little on the table in trade for use ability on a worksaw

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna poast, my err44 build testing cuts vids here. the thing with this saw i found is the adv on the key way 20 or 30 thou, you can decide ;)
Yes it’s an 18” duromatic bar with an Oregon 3/8 that has the rakers set a tad below the soft wood setting. Umm I’m Cutting hard wood :risas3:.
And yes nails were found :( in the first vid.

After a sharpen and a change in key (30thou) no change in rakers, same wood.. just up a bit higher. I was holding on tight :D,, and no more nails