Saw video thread

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna poast, my err44 build testing cuts vids here. the thing with this saw i found is the adv on the key way 20 or 30 thou, you can decide ;)
Yes it’s an 18” duromatic bar with an Oregon 3/8 that has the rakers set a tad below the soft wood setting. Umm I’m Cutting hard wood :risas3:.
And yes nails were found :( in the first vid.

After a sharpen and a change in key (30thou) no change in rakers, same wood.. just up a bit higher. I was holding on tight :D,, and no more nails

Popping for sure in the second video. I’d dial it back to .020

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the saw I tried out the Dominate piston in. Now it just has a muffler mod, stock xtorq cylinder and a Lil Red Barn pop up. It's faster and has more torque than it had with the Dominate piston. I would have made some more cuts but that round is only about 4" wide now.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ol’ man gave me this saw about 20 years ago when I was clearing trees for our new house. It was a Jred 625. I picked up a 670 cylinder from a member on here or AS and finally gave it a proper port job. First cuts on a new windowed Meteor 268 piston and ring. I’ll probably use it more now lol

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ol’ man gave me this saw about 20 years ago when I was clearing trees for our new house. It was a Jred 625. I picked up a 670 cylinder from a member on here or AS and finally gave it a proper port job. First cuts on a new windowed Meteor 268 piston and ring. I’ll probably use it more now lol

Looks really strong! Nice job

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Nice!

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. He died four years ago and it’ll be a nice tribute to him to be able to run it more

That’s awesome Kevin. Bet ya he loves it. My dad is still going but slowing down. Past couple years I’ve started rebuilding collecting some of the saws he used to have back in the day. As much as we but heads cutting splitting and selling firewood I try not to take him for granted. He’s an awesome guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That thought crossed my mind, I think it would benefit. It already has a larger 460 carb on it so that filter might help it more than normal with the stock zama. The HD filter works well at keeping fines out but clogs quickly.

I believe 440 and 460 carbs were the same. In fact, when I did carb testing, my 044 preferred the non snorkel ZAMA that came on it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe 440 and 460 carbs were the same. In fact, when I did carb testing, my 044 preferred the non snorkel ZAMA that came on it.
The bore on the HD16-1 is significantly larger than the typical C3M on a 044. I compared both I have here. The stock jet is .68 on the HD16 as well. Never bothered to test the two against each other, but it would be interesting. I don’t think there would be a difference on a stock saw, but on a ported one probably a little bit.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great saws you got there Scott + Julian. I believe that intake set up may be lighter, but it is weird looking. I'd heard about, but never seen a baffle in an 044 exhaust before! Weird, looks more like an 066 baffle than an 046 baffle.

Some stock 460s seem to prefer the baffle, was always wondering how an 044/440 would do with an 046/460 baffle.

FYI, my 044 SN is 126****** and was purchased in Dec 92. I see all three of the ones you have are also red lever saws, which I believe were among the strongest running stock 044s. I would be real curious to know the stock timing on them, I never did time mine. I believe the later versions of the 044 cylinders have more + marks on them, but have never heard of anyone who could decipher what the different versions were.

The 4 mm recoil bolts were on the earlier 044s, they had black control levers. The reds were only around for a limited period. (SN 120****** are black control levers, don't know when they went to red).

I believe the piston in the saw you took apart is a Mahle, the KS in my saw has stabilizers on it. Some of the early 12 mms saws also had slant fin jugs, and are rumored to also be strong runners. The change to straight fin jugs did not exactly correlate with the 12 mm saws.

Good luck with the builds, they were my favorite stock saw until the 462 came on the scene.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bore on the HD16-1 is significantly larger than the typical C3M on a 044. I compared both I have here. The stock jet is .68 on the HD16 as well. Never bothered to test the two against each other, but it would be interesting. I don’t think there would be a difference on a stock saw, but on a ported one probably a little bit.

I don't remember ever hearing that before, and find it strange that 044s would out run 440s even though they had smaller carbs. Are you sure you don't have a carb off an 029??? They will swap, but they are smaller.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

She sure runs! Nicely done, as usual Kevin. Does it ever get boring doing an epic job? Lol