Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a pile of butts in a log yard? Lots of nice firewood for the pickin' there.

Kinda. I used to get wood from a tree service on a regular occasion. They have outgrown me and I can't always be on site like I used to be. The tree service pays a guy to dump wood on his property. The tree service introduced us about a year ago and I can basically go out there any time I want. It is becoming a freaking mess. The landowner can't keep up with burning the wood and it is starting to get out of control. It is not easy trying to burn 20-48" logs, some of them very green. Some of the stuff is HUGE!!!

Yes, there is a lot of wood there; silver maple, elm, walnut, pecan, yellow pine, ginkgo, hackberry, red oak, white oak, ash, mulberry, sycamore, sweet gum. The landowner bought a skid steer to deal with it. I think he is passed what a skid steer will do and needs a dozer or an excavator with a thumb. Pictures don't do it justice.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda. I used to get wood from a tree service on a regular occasion. They have outgrown me and I can't always be on site like I used to be. The tree service pays a guy to dump wood on his property. The tree service introduced us about a year ago and I can basically go out there any time I want. It is becoming a freaking mess. The landowner can't keep up with burning the wood and it is starting to get out of control. It is not easy trying to burn 20-48" logs, some of them very green. Some of the stuff is HUGE!!!

Yes, there is a lot of wood there; silver maple, elm, walnut, pecan, yellow pine, ginkgo, hackberry, red oak, white oak, ash, mulberry, sycamore, sweet gum. The landowner bought a skid steer to deal with it. I think he is passed what a skid steer will do and needs a dozer or an excavator with a thumb. Pictures don't do it justice.
Sounds like he needs a hoe with a thumb and an air curtain burner:

https://airburners.com/

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I wish I had access to a honey hole like that! :eek:
Good for You. :)

Around here One can get government subventions for purchase and installation of equipment for production of thermal & electric energy generated from renewable resources - having a constant supply of free wood would certainly make it a feasible endeavor.

That property would be empty if it were here in Croatia, preprocessed firewood is huge business!

Even production of firewood pellets would be an option, the demand of neighboring countries high.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No offense, but that looks like limbing nirvana to me. Try limbing some hedge or pin oak:

View attachment 281809 View attachment 281810
Almost reminds me of some of the old sugar maples around here. There's one I hunt by that dropped a 'limb' that's over 30" around at the base. That tree has seen a lot of deer shot under it's branches over the years. I wish it could tell stories.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm embarrassed to post a pic. But I've been hauling a twinkie load like this out every 7-10 days. I can't really heap it on as far as I have to haul it right now (25mi). But it's keeping us warm!

0206211213.jpg 0207210653.jpg

Steven

I have to edit this. I wasn't picking on guys with a truck load or half. I just have been known to overload a truck a bit. A normal load just didn't feel right. But being as I have to travel I wasn't going to risk anyone's safety. I'm fortunate that most the time I'm not having to travel far or on a highway with a load. My hat goes off to you guys that can't overload a truck every haul. It takes great restraint to stay on the side of caution.

Sorry If I came across as a dik

Last edited:

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm probably one of the only people in my area out cutting. Don't blame anyone for staying in, it's been freakishly cold. Burnt through a months wood in the last two weeks. Feeding the beast every 6hr instead of the normal 12hr.
Forced me to get a couple trees dragged out and worked up. Was a hard fought three truck loads, but it needed done.

0217211212.jpg 0217211212a.jpg 0217211250.jpg 0217211541.jpg

Steven

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm probably one of the only people in my area out cutting. Don't blame anyone for staying in, it's been freakishly cold. Burnt through a months wood in the last two weeks. Feeding the beast every 6hr instead of the normal 12hr.
Forced me to get a couple trees dragged out and worked up. Was a hard fought three truck loads, but it needed done.

View attachment 283457 View attachment 283458 View attachment 283459 View attachment 283460

Steven
Nice you got it split before loading. That's the way I like to do it.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice you got it split before loading. That's the way I like to do it.

I like to load it up full length with the tractor and work it up at home. It's a time thing. But that's not possible with all the snow on the ground right now. Was a real nut buster getting those loads. Would have normally been a breeze.

Steven