High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Racing pistons - At what level?

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello all, through the endless browsing for parts I have come across the racing pistons through CCC and Dominant Saw. I understand that the race pistons come with weight savings, better castings, etc, but I have one question. Seeing as I am still a saw builder with much to learn, my question is: what level of a saw build is needed to justify/see improvements from a racing piston? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all, through the endless browsing for parts I have come across the racing pistons through CCC and Dominant Saw. I understand that the race pistons come with weight savings, better castings, etc, but I have one question. Seeing as I am still a saw builder with much to learn, my question is: what level of a saw build is needed to justify/see improvements from a racing piston? Any info is appreciated, thanks.
I’m not a porter nor do I even know how to port. My opinion is those pistons are for racing.

what I’m saying is that 10th of a second doesn’t make a lot of difference just cutting wood. I think more folks would use them in regular builds if the gain they offered made exponentially faster machines.

I’m only answering with an opinion since no one has really spoken up just yet.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In other words if I built a saw and tried to port it and add a racing slug. These gentlemen that build saws would smoke me running an oem piston because the porting itself would be more beneficial than me trying to add extras

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guess is that the weight savings and better casting really helps max rpm and spool up time, not needed for work IMO, but a big help in racing. They may have wider skirts and other features that help the port work go farther than it could with a stock piston, which would be noticeable IMO in a work setting, if ported to take advantage of the piston improvements. But I've never tried a racing piston, so what do I know

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the pistons are intended for racing others for hot work saws. A lighter forged single ring piston with wider skirts will get you that little extra if you want to take it that far in a work saw.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or a pop up piston if you got the room, to bump the compression up. They can be had reasonably priced for some saws.

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Or a pop up piston if you got the room, to bump the compression up. They can be had reasonably priced for some saws.
I love me some pop up piston action and frequently use them. I was just curious on the CCC and Dominant saw pistons and justifying them since they’re damn near the cost of a parts saw