Porting, You get what you pay for

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok but that does not mean the saw was ported, so do not tell people it is. What is does mean the cylinder was dropped to bump up compression and the ports were left where they were or castings cleaned up at best.
If you adjust the ports to the desired degrees then I consider it ported. Doesn't matter how you get em there. If the trans isn't hogged out then that's better yet, more velocity.

Have you ever ported a saw yourself? No butt hurt intended, legit question

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What should that be called and how much do you think it's worth?

That is between the builder and the customer. If the customer in this case knew that the saw was not going to be ported but just cleaned up a little and he agreed to the price then there is no room for complaint. But do not say I will port your saw and you just clean up the castings a little. That is not being truthful. Every saw builder here knows what porting a saw is. It does not matter if it is woods porting or race porting they know the difference so I do not buy into any BS about who cares what it looks like as long as it runs.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a walk and thought about this thread. I'm still not sure what to say about the issue at hand.

1bf07980df33967ffbfa80839d49dd57.jpg

All I know is it's making my head hurt.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, who did the work?

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a question. If u cut the base and the transfers hit the magic # and the intake is lower than u really want, why would u touch either? Thats a porters dream to be spot on

Ok but that does not mean the saw was ported, so do not tell people it is. What is does mean the cylinder was dropped to bump up compression and the ports were left where they were or castings cleaned up at best.

No, the ports weren't "left where they were". They were lowered., altered, changed the port timing.

How many cylinders were ruined or less than par to figure out just how much to cut the base to get the ports where you want them?

What difference does it make what was done if it gets the best results possible.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You don't pay 300$ for a pile of chips,you pay 300$ for the years of time spent and money spent learning what needs to be done. Your buying my knowledge not parts. Someone has to build a ported saw there not made in a factory.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you adjust the ports to the desired degrees then I consider it ported. Doesn't matter how you get em there. If the trans isn't hogged out then that's better yet, more velocity.

Have you ever ported a saw yourself? No butt hurt intended, legit question

I have done plenty. Just because I do not have a lot of post here does not mean I have not been around the block a few times.

No offense taken it just made me smile and it was a legitimate question.

Your definition of porting a saw is way different then mine and I would not call my self a porter if all I did was clean up casting on a saw. Once again I will agree to disagree and will let it go at that.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guys that demand alot of metal hogged out are ignorant. Some motors warrant that, but others dont. Some need material added via epoxy for instance. It's not like baking a cake where the same recipe works for every motor.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Big Dave Neiger??? Lol..

Can I answer a question with a question? How does it run?
Because from my perspective, that's what matters.
I think that may be what some of the members are missing here.
If it's a turd, tell the guy that built it it's a turd. He'll usually want it back for turd inspection.
nope...How about i give you the same camera angle and let you guess againTlandrum porting.jpg AS 015.jpg

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have done plenty. Just because I do not have a lot of post here does not mean I have not been around the block a few times.

No offense taken it just made me smile and it was a legitimate question.

Your definition of porting a saw is way different then mine and I would not call my self a porter if all I did was clean up casting on a saw. Once again I will agree to disagree and will let it go at that.
I have never ported the saw in question here, so I can't say what works and what doesn't, ol TL has been around the block and helped me out before.
Not gunna kiss his ass on his port work but he is a decent guy

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That was my point. Every port doesnt have to be hogged out. If I see any casting/factory flaw I would remove it
Intuitively you might think this would be helpful. However, flow through a duct is never on the surfaces of the duct, it's always through the center. I deal with this all the time at work.
Further, getting more out of a two cycle is seldom about bulk flow. More often it's about timing the multiple events that take place in a two cycle in the correct manner.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My fun meter pegged out after the first 8 pages. The porter was named uo to that point, and I am sure who did the work.

I think you are right. I believe everything has been said already and the rest is just BS.