High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

One ring vs two

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's like an unbalanced rim on your car. It vibrates like hell! But then there is always that one speed, never the one you want, where its smooth as glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, same sort of thing going in.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A crankshaft is balanced and stays balanced regardless of the load on it.
If the piston is a pound or a ounce it's still balanced.
The piston is part of the tuning. A change in piston weight definantly moves around the point at which a single cylinder is in balance.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
2:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I see your point

I'm just saying regardless of piston weight it's still balanced, maybe at a different rpm but balanced none the less

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More than you ever wanted to know about balance.

Attachments

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I see your point

I'm just saying regardless of piston weight it's still balanced, maybe at a different rpm but balanced none the less
I see your point

Right, which is what I said in my initial post on this issue.
I have had cr500 engines that I used heavy Wiseco pistons in that felt better vibration wise. I have also had other engines that felt worse with wiseco's.

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The only way to acheive true balance of a reciprocating mass, is to counter it with another mass equal in weight, distance of travel, and speed. Mcculloch did this perfectly with their Balanced Piston line of engines. It's kinda hard to do that with a rotating counterweight, at all speeds.

Whew, I sure ain't very good at trying to explain whats in my head, using words!

Oh, and concerning piston weight, I also think that lighter is better, at least for performance.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The only way to acheive true balance of a reciprocating mass, is to counter it with another mass equal in weight, distance of travel, and speed. Mcculloch did this perfectly with their Balanced Piston line of engines. It's kinda hard to do that with a rotating counterweight, at all speeds.

Whew, I sure ain't very good at trying to explain whats in my head, using words!

Oh, and concerning piston weight, I also think that lighter is better, at least for performance.
Its not just kinda hard, it's impossible short of a counter balancer or a bob weight type arrangement like a Ducati super mono.

Last edited:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Notice not one of the peanut gallery from the other thread takes part in a discussion of substance like this?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's the senses on circle cranks in a saw, worth it or not?
Say in a stock appearing race saw.
That would depend on the transfer duct size and the crankcase volume.
I honestly don't know for certain, but I would guess it would be of value.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Comments like that are why no one wants to converse with you. Can you really blame them?
Yea I can. Basicly you have a bunch of ignorant, envious guys that would rather wallow in ignorance than learn something. Hard to respect that.