Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@JoeDirt paint and body works doesn't have access to the booth where you used to work? Let's go huff some paint fumes...
I know you are joking about the paint fumes. In all seriousness though....don't.

My dad painted cars most of his life, and was a damn good body man. He refused to wear a mask of any kind, and died of organ failure at 53.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning Fellas! Working for the city again today….right on the seafront where the ferry boats park.

View attachment 391402
I forget what Island you are on. I don't think we will make it ($$) but we've been invited on a cruise next spring from Athens to Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos, Volos and Thessaloniki.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forget what Island you are on. I don't think we will make it ($$) but we've been invited on a cruise next spring from Athens to Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos, Volos and Thessaloniki.
That'd be a dream trip if you guys can make it, Gary! Volos is kind of a disaster area at the moment due to flooding though. Santorini would be the best place on the list.

We live on Evia Island which is just off the eastern coastline of the peninsula where Athens is situated. We can drive to Athens in about an hour and a half. So, if you decide to take the trip, I’d pop over and shake your hand and buy you a beer.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you are joking about the paint fumes. In all seriousness though....don't.

My dad painted cars most of his life, and was a damn good body man. He refused to wear a mask of any kind, and died of organ failure at 53.

I mentioned OSHA and the noise in the molding plant but we had a huge paint line as well where we primed and finished molding, jambs, etc

There were 2 spray booths and a long conveyor line going in 2 directions with a gas fired drying oven in the middle

There were open drums of lacquer, MEK, etc with air powered stirrers going constantly plus the guys hated to have the exhaust enclosures closed because they couldn't monitor the paint

We issued them OSHA approved respirators and the best you could hope for was they would wear them dangling around their necks

They were stoned 24/7 and I bet it caught up with them

This was just outside El Paso Texas in the 70s and 80s and it was 99% Mexican labor force and a good many were illegals

Once Immigration came in on one of their raids trying to round up the "wetbacks" and one of them ran into the painting room and hid in the crawlspace under the drying oven until they left

He was blistered from head to toe so we drove him to Thomason Hospital down by the border and dropped him at the ER door

He was back the following week

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mentioned OSHA and the noise in the molding plant but we had a huge paint line as well where we primed and finished molding, jambs, etc

There were 2 spray booths and a long conveyor line going in 2 directions with a gas fired drying oven in the middle

There were open drums of lacquer, MEK, etc with air powered stirrers going constantly plus the guys hated to have the exhaust enclosures closed because they couldn't monitor the paint

We issued them OSHA approved respirators and the best you could hope for was they would wear them dangling around their necks

They were stoned 24/7 and I bet it caught up with them

This was just outside El Paso Texas in the 70s and 80s and it was 99% Mexican labor force and a good many were illegals

Once Immigration came in on one of their raids trying to round up the "wetbacks" and one of them ran into the painting room and hid in the crawlspace under the drying oven until they left

He was blistered from head to toe so we drove him to Thomason Hospital down by the border and dropped him at the ER door

He was back the following week
I worked with some Guatemalans years ago that were excellent human beings. Hard working, happy, and dependable. The idea of these good folks being taken advantage of pisses me off.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked with some Guatemalans years ago that were excellent human beings. Hard working, happy, and dependable. The idea of these good folks being taken advantage of pisses me off.

I was the only gringo hourly worker out of roughly 150 workers

99% of them were the salt of the earth, probably a better ratio than working with 150 non Hispanics

I ate with them, joked with them, went to their weddings and funerals and went fishing with them

You couldn't ask for better

They worked for minimum wage which was $4.25 or so at the time and lived like kings in Juarez and were thrilled to have the jobs

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was the only gringo hourly worker out of roughly 150 workers

99% of them were the salt of the earth, probably a better ratio than working with 150 non Hispanics

I ate with them, joked with them, went to their weddings and funerals and went fishing with them

You couldn't ask for better

They worked for minimum wage which was $4.25 or so at the time and lived like kings in Juarez and were thrilled to have the jobs
We hired 50 folks to help clear fields from various places south of the border. They all seemed like good workers. When things were tightening up, we downsized the workforce. Out of those 50, we kept 8. A few worked in housekeeping, others tended cattle, and two helped me and my nephew build fence and catch pens. I ran into one of those two at Walmart a year or two ago. He was with his family, and dropped everything to greet me and give me a hug. In my opinion, we should be welcoming people like this rather than demonizing them....but for some reason even trying to talk about that is political.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We hired 50 folks to help clear fields from various places south of the border. They all seemed like good workers. When things were tightening up, we downsized the workforce. Out of those 50, we kept 8. A few worked in housekeeping, others tended cattle, and two helped me and my nephew build fence and catch pens. I ran into one of those two at Walmart a year or two ago. He was with his family, and dropped everything to greet me and give me a hug. In my opinion, we should be welcoming people like this rather than demonizing them....but for some reason even trying to talk about that is political.
Yeah, that is a very volatile subject and is always guaranteed to stir up a hornets nest

I completely backed off from this type of discussion recently

Lose lose situation in my mind

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 391384
I'm still trying to decide if Alice and Jasmine are in the area on honeymoon or Adam is visiting the states. Afraid to look in the back for the dent pullers. Anywho, its Friday and last day of brown truck for a little over a week.
@timg painted his truck

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@JoeDirt paint and body works doesn't have access to the booth where you used to work? Let's go huff some paint fumes...
Never painted in a booth there either. Painted in an open air shop. Had good ventilation and very good masks, but never used a booth. Surprisingly dust contamination was never a big issue. Scuff and buff would take care of most anything. I do remember a bug flying into a panel one time and crawling through the wet clear and ruining it. Isolated incident though.
joe2014257.jpg
IMG_20171012_161129164-2672x2004.jpg

The guy who I used to work with has done auto body his whole life, only retired from full time work about 5 years ago. He still does some work very selectively. He didn't usually wear a mask for primer, only wore a N95-type for color coats, but he wore a full N100 with organic vapor filters for clear. Clear coat is very nasty stuff.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never painted in a booth there either. Painted in an open air shop. Had good ventilation and very good masks, but never used a booth. Surprisingly dust contamination was never a big issue. Scuff and buff would take care of most anything. I do remember a bug flying into a panel one time and crawling through the wet clear and ruining it. Isolated incident though.
View attachment 391421
View attachment 391419

The guy who I used to work with has done auto body his whole life, only retired from full time work about 5 years ago. He still does some work very selectively. He didn't usually wear a mask for primer, only wore a N95-type for color coats, but he wore a full N100 with organic vapor filters for clear. Clear coat is very nasty stuff.
Dad died in 1982, not long after base/clear became common in the shop he worked in.