Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these days when I’m rooting around in boxes of saved stuff I will snap a picture of my dads slide rule and the handmade leather case he carried it in

The case is covered in formulas and stuff and might as well be Egyptian

I learned how to multiply on one but that was about it and I’ve probably forgotten all I knew

I was in high school when the first Texas Instruments hand calculator came out and I remember it being several hundred dollars
And it was big, and had an 8 digit led display. I remember when those came out too. Wait, does that make me old too?

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mom was an industrial engineer. Math was her jam. She regularly explained to me how I couldn't help but use algebra and geometry in my daily life. Naturally.....my eyes glazed over during these conversations. She went so far sometimes as to break down processes I used to lay out stairs and rafters into mathematical equations. I asked her how the hell she knew the processes involved in such things. She said it was all simply common sense. She was a sharp cookie.
For anyone in a building trade or simply just works with their hands, algebra and geometry are close to essential. Trigonometry is closely related to both. Calculus becomes useful when you need to find the length of curves or rates of change of a curve. It can be used to find flow rates, pressure, velocity, and acceleration, force, torque, volume of certain shapes, electric fields, etc.

But as it goes on, the equations get more and more arbitrary and less and less practical. FWIW, my dad is a civil engineer and told me in his 35 years of engineering has never used Calculus, but he still had to learn the same stuff I'm learning now.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chainsaws are a silly fad. I predict in a few more years everyone will give up their chainsaws and go back to the crosscut.
Last winter, electricity prices were close to $1 for every kwh in my region.
I don't cut wood for sale, only for my own use, but if the prices become like this in the future, (and I don't look away from it because we supply a lot of electricity production to Europe, and let them control our own price), it is for once, good prices for firewood.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
some of the new stuff isnt math but hypothetical *B-S....

lol tomorrow night is lay off night
id like to clear 4 on this job
Jeez..."clear 4?" You sure put a Wendy's Biggie-Size f'ng on these folks no doubt. Of course they can't pay yer lizard ass what you're worth...there's a little thing called a minimum wage law.

#UnionLotLizardsAreFoReal

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Framing square was my most advanced "math". Some guys are dangerous with it.
The younger than me guys learned with speed square and that impressed me at the time.

Now I hide from those.
I like the framing square over the calculator for stairs and rafters. But I'm 53. Learnt that stuffs bout 34 years ago

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these days when I’m rooting around in boxes of saved stuff I will snap a picture of my dads slide rule and the handmade leather case he carried it in

The case is covered in formulas and stuff and might as well be Egyptian

I learned how to multiply on one but that was about it and I’ve probably forgotten all I knew

I was in high school when the first Texas Instruments hand calculator came out and I remember it being several hundred dollars
And it was big, and had an 8 digit led display. I remember when those came out too. Wait, does that make me old too?
Old as dirt.
Why's it called Texas Toast mate?

Is it not quite what it seems?
Usually bigger overall, and almost twice as thick as standard bread.