New Ruger 9mm carbine

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rolled up two very proven loads to try in the carbine: 3.8 grains Titegroup/124 grain plated flat point/1.058 OAL and 4.1 grains Titegroup/115 grain FMJ/1.120 OAL. If it won't shoot well with these, then something is dreadfully wrong and it's going back to Ruger. Hopefully I can try them out this weekend.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My parallel dimension self must be hitting the Powerball 'cause I'm 0 for 2 on new guns right now. I managed to try out the carbine this afternoon at 25 yards resting on shooting sticks. Ammo was the previously mentioned load that all my handguns like. At least half of the shots fired were major flyers. For example, I fired 10 shots at the bull in this photo. Four were reasonably on target. One was about 4 inches high, two were high and right and two were low to the right.

View attachment 276599

Upon cleaning, I didn't see anything amiss. There was about the usual amount of powder and bullet lube fouling, no lead deposits I could see. So, maybe the barrel is a bit overbore? Ive never found a 9mm that would not shoot these bullets at least reasonably well, including Glock factory barrels. I suppose I'll try some endangered species factory ammo next, then maybe some .358 bullets.

The good news is, function was 100% and the carbine is lots of fun to shoot. The factory sights are great, same sight picture I have on most of my other long guns.
Damn!
If you were shooting a 12ga load of #4 buckshot at that distance, it might not be too bad.
I hope you get things sorted out.
If you want to try jacketed bullets, let me know, I'll send you some to load. I have 115gr and 124gr rn.

Your last post hit as I was typing. Offer on the bullets still stands. Let me know.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I tried it again after work today. The jacketed and plated slugs did as well as expected. Surprisingly, the lead bullet groups tightened up a lot. From left to right, 115 grain FMJ, 124 grain plated, 134 grain lead at 25 yards:

0109211617.jpg
Took it out to 40 yards, and got about the same results, same bullets left to right:

0109211618_HDR.jpg

So, it looks like the carbine might eventually get there with lead bullets. I'm wondering what happened to improve the groups with cast. Maybe there was some dried oil in the bore from the factory that was removed by cleaning. I know some guns need to have the bore broken in with jacketed bullets before they do well with cast, maybe the jacketed and plated slugs helped there. I suppose I should put more of them through it to help break it in. I'll also try the Lee 358-125-RF sized to .358.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. The Lee 358-125-RF seems promising as the bearing surface is longer than the ogive. It works great in my Marlin 1894 .357 and even my Browning Hi-Power. We shall see what happens.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didnt get a chance to shoot today, but I gave it a good cleaning and examined the barrel under a strong light. The bore is shiny and has really sharp rifling. Like most 9mm's, it has a really short leade into the rifling. Which usually works well for jacketed and plated slugs, but not for lead. I'm thinking it would be wise to have the leade extended at some point.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s interesting. I don’t plan on shooting lead. Maybe some plated if that’s all I can get my hands on. I’ve been on midways email notification and just got some more Speer fmj 230 this afternoon. Gives me something to reload.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put 50 rounds through the carbine after work today, 40 jacketed (thanks SRB08!) and 10 lead. Made a few decent groups but also had a lot of flyers. One big problem is the wrist of the stock is actually alot different than what I am used to, and seems to cause an inconsistent trigger pull. Will have to work on that. Also, this carbine stovepipes with light loads. Not surprising given it's a blowback with a heavy bolt.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried the carbine again with 4.5 grains IMR Target and 115 grain FMJ. Discovered that, as I suspected, my grip on the wrist of the stock makes all the difference. A poor grip and flyers all over the place. Wrapping my fingers firmly around the wrist and then stretch my trigger finger way out there to squeeze the trigger with the first knuckle and it shoots almost dead on with this load. This way of gripping feels strange given I'm used to lever actions with the trigger further back against the wrist, but it works.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried the carbine again with 4.5 grains IMR Target and 115 grain FMJ. Discovered that, as I suspected, my grip on the wrist of the stock makes all the difference. A poor grip and flyers all over the place. Wrapping my fingers firmly around the wrist and then stretch my trigger finger way out there to squeeze the trigger with the first knuckle and it shoots almost dead on with this load. This way of gripping feels strange given I'm used to lever actions with the trigger further back against the wrist, but it works.
With the grip change, did the cast bullets shoot better or is it going to be a jacketed only kind of gun?

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious, but those appear to betakedown rifles so the barrel is not free floated. Does it make a difference how or where you hold and put pressure on the forend/barrel? I've seen it make a difference on other rifles.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious, but those appear to betakedown rifles so the barrel is not free floated. Does it make a difference how or where you hold and put pressure on the forend/barrel? I've seen it make a difference on other rifles.
I believe the forend is free floated on those rifles.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the grip change, did the cast bullets shoot better or is it going to be a jacketed only kind of gun?

If the weather is nice, I'm going to try it tomorrow with 3.8 grains IMR Target under the Lee 356-120-TC. My Browning Hi-Power loves this load, so hopefully it will be a winner. I'm still planning to break in the bore with jacketed slugs as much as possible.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

From what I can tell, the barrel is free floated after the metal block on the underside of the barrel that connects to the forend and receiver. I rest this one on my shooting sticks the same way I do every other rifle. Support hand on the forend in front of the receiver, shooting sticks an inch or two ahead of the hand.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, some progress and challenges. Tried the carbine with 3.8 grains IMR Target/Lee 356-120-TC today, a load that my pistols do great with. Absolutely horrible, many of the rounds didn't even strike the target paper! The lower left is supposed to be a 4 shot group. The group that was supposed to be in the center was wandering low and to the right.

0127211657.jpg

Trudged back to the house and rolled up the same load with the Lee 358-125-RF, which works great in every 9mm/.38/.357 Ive ever tried it in. A dozen were sized .357, a dozen sized .360 which is what I use in the Marlin .357. Instant improvement, the group in the lower right is two groups of five with different elevation settings. The .360's seemed to go wider, as the group in the top left shows. In the top right, the rifle seemed to be trying to go back to wandering zero, however I also noticed the forend had worked its way loose by this time. It is secured by only a single screw, guess I need to loctite it. More research is needed!

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, some progress and challenges. Tried the carbine with 3.8 grains IMR Target/Lee 356-120-TC today, a load that my pistols do great with. Absolutely horrible, many of the rounds didn't even strike the target paper! The lower left is supposed to be a 4 shot group. The group that was supposed to be in the center was wandering low and to the right.

View attachment 279969

Trudged back to the house and rolled up the same load with the Lee 358-125-RF, which works great in every 9mm/.38/.357 Ive ever tried it in. A dozen were sized .357, a dozen sized .360 which is what I use in the Marlin .357. Instant improvement, the group in the lower right is two groups of five with different elevation settings. The .360's seemed to go wider, as the group in the top left shows. In the top right, the rifle seemed to be trying to go back to wandering zero, however I also noticed the forend had worked its way loose by this time. It is secured by only a single screw, guess I need to loctite it. More research is needed!
I shot 147grn cast bullet's I'd made in my friends kel tec extremely accurate
Load in my cz75 and did very well in his kel tec
2" or so at 25 yds