Ruger American Ranch 5.56

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always thought it would be neat to have a bolt action rifle that uses AR mags and Ruger now makes one, the American Ranch. Nodak Spud also makes military style sights for it, which I strongly prefer for carbines. The fun store has one in stock, I'm going over there with some gun equity on tuesday to see about striking a deal on it. Anybody have experience with this carbine?

26965.jpg

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ive got one in a 223. Absolute tack driver. Really fun to have at the range because of the mag. I got mine for a truck gun basically. Short, very light. Awesome gun and pretty affordable. Mine has a threaded barrel (don't know if that's standard on all of the rugers) but the short length makes it perfect for a suppressor.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, Ill see what kind of deal I can strike on it. Even with the Nodak Spud sights added it will still cost less than the cheapest AR. May give cast bullets a try in it.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always thought it would be neat to have a bolt action rifle that uses AR mags and Ruger now makes one, the American Ranch. Nodak Spud also makes military style sights for it, which I strongly prefer for carbines. The fun store has one in stock, I'm going over there with some gun equity on tuesday to see about striking a deal on it. Anybody have experience with this carbine?

26965.jpg

Good looking gun!
I need one.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

26965.jpg
I have one in 350 legend. Looking at getting one in 5.56 as well. Mine shoots great for what it is. Also cheap enough I don’t mind if it gets banged around a little.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 288772

It’s got my attention....

I have been doing a lot of research on store bought/stock long range rifles (nothing custom) and I really like the ruger MPR series. I just get a little scared of the horror stories from overheated barrels, improper tempering/ alignment. Excreta. I would be more comfortable with their mpr if it came from a smaller company that didn't produce so many other firearms. I ended up deciding on a Christensen but it still hasn't come in yet soooo.

modernprecisionrifle_gallery.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one in 350 legend. Looking at getting one in 5.56 as well. Mine shoots great for what it is. Also cheap enough I don’t mind if it gets banged around a little.

I have a Zastava 85 .223 which is also great. Its handsome wood and blue steel so I would rather not use it as a tractor gun.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Zastava 85 .223 which is also great. Its handsome wood and blue steel so I would rather not use it as a tractor gun.
EXACTLY! Mine rides in the truck and tractor all the time. I put a 1-3x scope on it and it takes care of pigs and coyotes as needed.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. No, the inside of the sight is machined with a taper back to front so as to be slid backwards on to the barrel with a light press fit. My rifle came with a thread protector, I put a spare M16 flash hider on instead 'cause it looks cooler.

Ruger also makes this in .350 Legend. I wonder how that cartridge does with lead bullets? I would think it shouldn't be too much of a problem to duplicate .38-55 performance. Even though straight wall cartridges aren't required here the .350 is quite popular.

Last edited: