Zastava 85 .223 carbine on the way

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long overdue update: 18 grains Reloder 7 with a 55 grain Hornady soft point is very accurate in this rifle and super easy to shoot. The little 2.5x20 is really all the scope I need for my uses, as I can't see myself shooting at anything over 150 yards. I adjusted the trigger a bit which helps. Made the pull a little heavier and reduced some of the sear engagement.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have busted yotes to where the 223 55 grain handload entered but didnt exit with my bolt action 223 in remington model 7. I walked it off and was est around 450yds give or take.

I bought it on the cheap from guy at work that had bought it new for groundpigs. I wanted a 243 but he offered me this model 7 to cheap to pass up. Guessing 25+ years ago.

I busted a groundpig recently with it out back and scared the chit out of the wife :rolleyes:. Didnt tell her I was going to shoot.
So now I have been grabbing the .22 or 22mag around the house for the critters.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long overdue update: 18 grains Reloder 7 with a 55 grain Hornady soft point is very accurate in this rifle and super easy to shoot. The little 2.5x20 is really all the scope I need for my uses, as I can't see myself shooting at anything over 150 yards. I adjusted the trigger a bit which helps. Made the pull a little heavier and reduced some of the sear engagement.
Glad to hear you got it dialed in.
Sounds like a nice combination of rifle and optic.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a nice little rifle indeed, and this modest load is a real pleasure to shoot. It doesn't heat the barrel up much either, which is good as it is even thinner than that of my .22 LR's and would probably start making flyers after a few rounds.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might try to get into the reloading game come cold weather. Seems like it could be a fun way to kill some winter nights.
I like being able to build loads that aren't available commercially.
I load a lot of cast bullet midrange loads for large bore magnum handguns. I get to practice a lot without beating the crap out of myself. Loading cast bullets saves a lot of $$$.
It's also nice to be able to tailor loads for rifles and build a round for your needs. You don't have to rely on what's available from the ammo companies.
If all you shoot is 9mm, .40 S&W, 7.62x39 or .223, you can buy ammo cheaper than you can build it. For anything that's expensive to shoot with factory ammo, hand loading is the way to go.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a nice little rifle indeed, and this modest load is a real pleasure to shoot. It doesn't heat the barrel up much either, which is good as it is even thinner than that of my .22 LR's and would probably start making flyers after a few rounds.
I'm going to try that load. I've got a Kimber Super America in .223 with an ultralight barrel. It shoots well but heats up quickly and accuracy deteriorates. I've used Rel 7, in .223, in the past but not in this rifle. Your load sounds like just the ticket. Hopefully it'll shoot well and I won't have to Play with it too much. What primer are you using?

Last edited:

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like being able to build loads that aren't available commercially.
I load a lot of cast bullet midrange loads for large bore magnum handguns. I get to practice a lot without beating the crap out of myself. Loading cast bullets saves a lot of $$$.
It's also nice to be able to tailor loads for rifles and build a round for your needs. You don't have to rely on what's available from the ammo companies.
If all you shoot is 9mm, .40 S&W, 7.62x39 or .223, you can buy ammo cheaper than you can build it. For anything that's expensive to shoot with factory ammo, hand loading is the way to go.
Yes I get it. Would like to graduate past the 45acp with my handguns. Price of ammo has stopped me that's why I would like to get into it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Currently using Remington standard small rifle primers, however they are pretty old so you would be best to try out a few different ones. My understanding is that the twist on this rifle falls somewhere between 1:9 and 1:10 so 55 grain bullets should be optimal.

I actually load my own 9mm, .38 Special, .40 S&W, and other common cartridges. Reason being, I don't care for most factory loads and would rather spend my limited shooting time with ammo that is made to my own specs.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Currently using Remington standard small rifle primers, however they are pretty old so you would be best to try out a few different ones. My understanding is that the twist on this rifle falls somewhere between 1:9 and 1:10 so 55 grain bullets should be optimal.

I actually load my own 9mm, .38 Special, .40 S&W, and other common cartridges. Reason being, I don't care for most factory loads and would rather spend my limited shooting time with ammo that is made to my own specs.
Thanks, I've got a pretty good selection of primers, including Remington.
Most of the 9mm and .223 I shoot is bulk military. All of the 7.62x39 I shoot is military stuff.
I do load 9mm for a Mauser broom handle, Nazi Walther P38 and an old Luger.
No reason to run high pressure loads through those guns.
I also load .223 for a TC Encore handgun and a couple of bolt guns.
The majority of my guns have never had a factory round fired in them.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, I've got a pretty good selection of primers, including Remington.
Most of the 9mm and .223 I shoot is bulk military. All of the 7.62x39 I shoot is military stuff.
I do load 9mm for a Mauser broom handle, Nazi Walther P38 and an old Luger.
No reason to run high pressure loads through those guns.
I also load .223 for a TC Encore handgun and a couple of bolt guns.
The majority of my guns have never had a factory round fired in them.
o_O I would the muzzle blast on that would be near ferocious... It would be fun on prairie dogs though!

Same here. Come to think of it, I have never put a factory round through my .257 Roberts, .45-70, or my four .30-30's.
The .257 Bob is a damn neat (and under appreciated) round, just like it's parent, the 7x57mm.

On a reloading note: I did score 232 sticks of once fired Starline .50AE brass today for $45, for 19.3 cents/stick. AND it was pre-tumbled and VERY clean. I was stoked about that!:campeon:

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
o_O I would the muzzle blast on that would be near ferocious... It would be fun on prairie dogs though!
I've got 14" barrels in .223 and .308. The .223 has the bigger bark.
I load 150gr bullets for the .308 barrel. Heavier bullets can get.........uncomfortable.
image.jpeg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The .257 Bob is a damn neat (and under appreciated) round, just like it's parent, the 7x57mm.

The .257 is a neat round, I've always admired it. I think that it would beat the 6mm's in every way if it had more twist, like 1:8. Mine has a magnum profile 1:10 and shoots like a laser with 117 grain Sierras. Unfortunately most of the older .257's had 1:12 and couldn't handle longer bullets, hence the strange looking flat nose slugs most factory rounds have today.

Northwet

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found this thread, I built a 222 Rem on a Zastava. Its a fantastic little gun. Mine is from when they were being imported by Charles Daley, I think be for that Interarms imported them. Charles Daley called them Mini Mauser, Interarms called it the MINI Mark 10.

Northwet

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I did, it was a while ago so I don't remember what I did. I'll pull the stock and take a look.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still shooting the little Zastava and really enjoying it. I found a Simmons 2-7x32 scope in my gun junkyard and so mounted it on there for more magnification. 18 grains Reloder 7/55 grain Hornady is a real winner, I shot some more of them after work today. Off the bipod it will do around an inch at 100 yards, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do off a benchrest on a calm day. I would guess this is a .221 Fireball or hot .22 Hornet level load. It has a little less recoil (not that there is much) and alot less muzzle blast than factory ammo I have tried. Which hopefully means longer barrel life as well.

smokepole

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would the muzzle blast on that would be near ferocious... It would be fun on prairie dogs though!
I also have a T/C in .223. The only thing that comes close to the blast from it is my Ruger three screw in .30 carbine! Double hearing protection is mandatory.