Zastava 85 .223 carbine on the way

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long overdue update: still shooting the little Zastava, it has become my go to long gun for walking the woods looking for targets of opportunity i.e. coyotes. I recently upgraded my most accurate Marlin .30-30 to a Leupold VX-3 and so I put the Swift 1.5-4.5x20 formerly on the Marlin on the Zastava. The long eye relief and compact size is great, and 4.5x magnification will do anything I need it to do. Still using 18 grains Reloder 7 under a 55 grain Hornady JSP, in fact it has the same POI as the PMC 55 grain FMJ factory rounds. My best friend's son is about old enough to start hunting deer and I'll offer to let him borrow it. I see no reason it wouldn't work out to 100 yards, he shouldn't be trying for anything longer anyhow.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I love AR's, Mini-14's, and other 5.56/223 Semi-Autos. Having said that, from a reloading standpoint, and from a slowing down to smell the roses/focus on actual marksmanship standpoint, I'd love to have a bolt action .223, .222, .222 Mag, .22 Hornet, etc. I'd thin about a .22-250, but they're a bit hard on barrels and the muzzle blast is ferocious. No interest in a .220 Swift either...

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put some more rounds through the Zastava this morning. This rifle will make sub-1" groups at 100 yards no problem, however my shaky hands mean that usually doesn't happen. Still, every shot is easily minute of coyote/groundhog so thats what counts. Hopefully I can put the hurting on some 'yotes with it here soon. Our crossbow deer season lasts until Jan. 20 so I'll probably bring it along in the blind in case one comes around. In Kentucky it is legal to have a modern firearm with you while archery hunting.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even though I've been having lots of fun with my M16 lookalike I haven't lost interest in the little bolt gun. The only thing I don't like about the Zastava is that it uses odd scope bases only made by a few firms. Fortunately, Warne makes their excellent steel Weaver style bases for this rifle. I got some for it, and also upgraded the rings with some Burris Zee low height steel rings. Will try to shoot it tomorrow if I get a chance.