Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So due to an injury that just won't heal, (tendon). I am forced to stop hand splitting firewood for at least this year, and maybe forever. Seems I need a splitter, but have no idea how big, or expensive I need to get. I burn only a couple of cords per year, some pine, some cedar, some sweet gum and oak and hickory. Whatever falls on the property, pines I feed the tops to the goats, so the trunk becomes firewood.

Not a cheapskate, but am thrifty, so only want to buy what I absolutely need. Honda engine is what I want. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Larry

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So due to an injury that just won't heal, (tendon). I am forced to stop hand splitting firewood for at least this year, and maybe forever. Seems I need a splitter, but have no idea how big, or expensive I need to get. I burn only a couple of cords per year, some pine, some cedar, some sweet gum and oak and hickory. Whatever falls on the property, pines I feed the tops to the goats, so the trunk becomes firewood.

Not a cheapskate, but am thrifty, so only want to buy what I absolutely need. Honda engine is what I want. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Larry
I've been running one just like this for 8 years now. I like it. If you can get a round to it, it will split it. Its never failed me.
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/100728/item/1002

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a 3 pt version of that to build a project

but we all know your wife and kids do the work and you just watch them
Always a funny guy!! I couldn't get them to help me today at all but there was a good dinner when I came in. I also had a three point but opted to stay with the Huskee so I had the tractor free to move stuff or load bucket or just drive it around while I'm slacking. :applaudit:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the idea of a tow behind, can tow with the tractor or pickup. Would like to just unload the truck on to a splitter and stack for drying. Thanks for the link, not worried about tonnage knowing a 22 can get it done.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a Huskee at work with a Briggs. I went to Northern and was going to get a 30 ton with a Honda because the B&S on ours is getting tired, but they told me Honda wasn’t supplying engines for small OPE any longer. I call BS! That being said, the one we have now will split anything we have thrown at it. We did cut a 1/2” plate to fit around the small base plate and welded it on to act as a table for bigger rounds. It throws off the balance a little, but it can still be tilted back horizontal pretty easy. We cut and split 4-5 cords a year for the shop and my residence here on site. The cheaper units work, but they aren’t as fast and you may run into some nasty stuff it won’t split if you are using whatever.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a Huskee at work with a Briggs. I went to Northern and was going to get a 30 ton with a Honda because the B&S on ours is getting tired, but they told me Honda wasn’t supplying engines for small OPE any longer. I call BS! That being said, the one we have now will split anything we have thrown at it. We did cut a 1/2” plate to fit around the small base plate and welded it on to act as a table for bigger rounds. It throws off the balance a little, but it can still be tilted back horizontal pretty easy. We cut and split 4-5 cords a year for the shop and my residence here on site. The cheaper units work, but they aren’t as fast and you may run into some nasty stuff it won’t split if you are using whatever.
Having a hard time finding one with a Honda engine. I see Kohler and Briggs, haven't followed small engines since the 90s, but have heard Briggs had some problems. But don't they all? I just want to split wood. Anything too gnarly to split will get noodled. Going to rural king to see what they have, they are the closest to me.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having a hard time finding one with a Honda engine. I see Kohler and Briggs, haven't followed small engines since the 90s, but have heard Briggs had some problems. But don't they all? I just want to split wood. Anything too gnarly to split will get noodled. Going to rural king to see what they have, they are the closest to me.
What part of east TN are you? I know I called three Northern stores and they all told me the same thing. Hondas are no longer being put on their splitters due to Honda getting out of the small engine market.

My local Co-Op had some decent looking splitters on their dock the other day. Almost all the cheaper ones are built by the same company with different names on them. There were a few decent looking ones on FB marketplace the other day.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 22 ton isn’t going to split a lot of the hickory or gum, especially if it’s a bigger tree. I run a 30 ton TSC unit and it has split everything including hickory that my buddies 27 ton wouldn’t. It’s a plus if you get a Honda or Kawasaki engine.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Northern tool is probably the largest Honda small engine seller, but I also have a hard time believing that. I did hear they are no longer going to make mowers. Maybe the guy got his wires crossed.

I believe you can still get a split fire or super split with Honda engines. They are a little bit more money than just your standard Huskee/countyline box store splitter. Not sure you want to go that route for just a couple cord a year.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Northern tool is probably the largest Honda small engine seller, but I also have a hard time believing that. I did hear they are no longer going to make mowers. Maybe the guy got his wires crossed.

I figure it’s more of a supply issue than anything. I had read the same thing about mowers and snow blowers, but not engines. It was still weird all three stores in east TN told me the same about the engines. Maybe that’s what they are being told by higher ups.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What part of east TN are you? I know I called three Northern stores and they all told me the same thing. Hondas are no longer being put on their splitters due to Honda getting out of the small engine market.

My local Co-Op had some decent looking splitters on their dock the other day. Almost all the cheaper ones are built by the same company with different names on them. There were a few decent looking ones on FB marketplace the other day.
I am in Sweetwater, if rural king has what I need, I will buy it there. Tractor supply then Lowes both in Athens are next closest. There is a northern tool on Clinton highway, will check there next week if I don't have any local success. Wasn't planning on having one, until I realized this stupid injury is taking too long to heal.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I believe you can still get a split fire or super split with Honda engines. They are a little bit more money than just your standard Huskee/countyline box store splitter. Not sure you want to go that route for just a couple cord a year.

Anything it won't split will be put in the bonfire pile. I have more wood on my property than I need, so I can be selective. Pretty sure any gas splitter I find will be adequate. I like those inertia splitters, but can't really justify it.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure it’s more of a supply issue than anything. I had read the same thing about mowers and snow blowers, but not engines. It was still weird all three stores in east TN told me the same about the engines. Maybe that’s what they are being told by higher ups.
Where are the three stores you went to? What are in east TN are you in? Don't have to be too specific.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pay attention to cycle time. A slow one will be miserable. Search info on a kenetic. If you can afford it, I highly recommend. I've been processing 4-6 cord/season for me (past 12 years) and almost the same for my parents (for maybe 5-6 year). All that has been with a 34T Huskee.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pay attention to cycle time. A slow one will be miserable. Search info on a kenetic. If you can afford it, I highly recommend. I've been processing 4-6 cord/season for me (past 12 years) and almost the same for my parents (for maybe 5-6 year). All that has been with a 34T Huskee.
Rural king has a 27 ton with an 11 second cycle time. I have no idea where in the spectrum it is. That sounds like as fast as I want to go. Will go look after coffee and breakfast. Doesn't seem like anyone else wants to say how fast or slow.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rural king has a 27 ton with an 11 second cycle time. I have no idea where in the spectrum it is. That sounds like as fast as I want to go. Will go look after coffee and breakfast. Doesn't seem like anyone else wants to say how fast or slow.
That's decent. I just saw someone post one (on another forum) with a 29s time. No way I'd consider that.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a good look at Kohler and you maybe looking at a Predator.