GoldMember
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it get right in your face??
Not at all, the opposite actually.
It blows out, up, and away when felling, milling, or stumping.
Bucking up bigguns it blows out, down, and away.
You dont even get any hint of the VP that its running.

Appreciate the kind words too !
I also closed the pto side exit .......... so when stumping there isnt any dirt or dust getting blown at the stump and back at you.
When milling, the exhaust doesnt go down or towards the log, it clears away incredibly well.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I also closed the pto side exit .......... so when stumping there isnt any dirt or dust getting blown at the stump and back at you.
When milling, the exhaust doesnt go down or towards the log, it clears away incredibly well.
Closed the factory outlet on the 660 mill saw with the pipe. Big difference. I don't have the balls to cut up these nice 084 mufflers. A front cover with a pipe might work and preserve the stock wears.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Your welcome! What size of pipe is that?

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Adjustable carb and unlimited coil. Possibly a more open muffler but im not sure on that
Um... much more in-depth was my thought process but thanks.
No muffler and an air plate. No need for a hot muffler on the case but it's nice to swap the front cover to try new pipes. From scratch built headers are always best imo. Tubing and a flange is about all you need to get started.
Would like to really know if these newer 3120's vapor lock. Your not the first person to mention it recently. A flood limiter covers up a problem like that. They say 394's do it but many say no way. I'll buy an older one if new is an issue. Don't mind having fresh old tools. It is just parts. Everything Kevin mentioned and did made sense... like you did.

Most guys are just blowing smoke and talking *s-word. You guys are running these saw hard. I'm interested in any issues you find with these power heads. Problems can be avoid if you know what to look for and where. On Stihl I'm pretty good. Still learning big Husky with 38mm plus stroke, besides the 394 or 5. They were easy and simple really but good. It's just for milling. Next Husky saw here will be a 3120 or 2100 or version of modified a bunch to have it right to pull long bars constantly on a mill. I will keep trying different saws for different tasks till one suits me well enough.

:icon_popcorn:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adjustable carb and unlimited coil. Possibly a more open muffler but im not sure on that

There was only one year supposedly that had a fully adjustable carb and I’ve seen pictures of one and none in real life. The older units had 12k coils and that’s plenty for 99% of the time.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was only one year supposedly that had a fully adjustable carb and I’ve seen pictures of one and none in real life. The older units had 12k coils and that’s plenty for 99% of the time.
Wow i would have thought there were more years with adjustable carbs. Thanks for the info.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i put mine on a weight loss program...
View attachment 253132
dont need this stupid thing inside the muffler
View attachment 253134
Sometimes I wonder if these pipes found inside some mufflers are a way of tuning the muffler to help the power peak at a certain rpm, and how beneficial it would be to add a new larger diameter pipe when modding the muffler to keep the tuned effect. I made me a rough pipe size vs rpm tuning chart to keep handy in case I ever try it.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if these pipes found inside some mufflers are a way of tuning the muffler to help the power peak at a certain rpm, and how beneficial it would be to add a new larger diameter pipe when modding the muffler to keep the tuned effect. I made me a rough pipe size vs rpm tuning chart to keep handy in case I ever try it.
my personal opinion is that those internal pipes have no other purpose other than noise reduction and resistance to keep unburnt fuel out the exhaust to a minimum. theres a reason “tuned” pipes are a couple feet long or more, it takes time and distance for the action to happen in a tuned pipe. heres a picture of a muff mod a guy did who had similar thoughts to yours….
8D3BD196-F6BC-4A33-8749-7A9C92106117.png
edit: i should clarify; i dont mean to say those little internal pipes are useless, im sure they do contribute a bit to a more broad power band than if it were just a straight hole out the front, but i really doubt the folks who drew up that type of muffler design were aiming for an increase in performance, vs an empty can. more likely, to me anyway, is that it is a compromise that still allowed the saw to function, but also kept noise down and kept enough heat in to create the type of emmisions they were after.

Last edited: