MS462 vs MS500i

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
High volume dealers are struggling to get inventory across the board from Stihl. Parts are generally available. But Kombis, weed whackers/brushcutters, chainsaws are all pretty hard to come by.

The Midwest distributor "Bryan Equipment is located right here in Cincinnati, so that may have something to do with the local dealers in the Tri State being fully stocked at the moment. To date my closest dealer has sold twelve 500i's including the one I have, and is getting them in about every month. No full wraps though, but those are always harder to to get, nobody uses them.

So far the filter on my 500i works fine. The filter does seem to load up pretty fast in dusty wood, and I wish the top fastener had a regular screw knob instead of the goofy half turn deal, I can see that getting loose after some time, which would allow dust in.

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The Midwest distributor is located here in Cincinnati, so that may have something to do with the local dealers in the Tri State being fully stocked at the moment, spring rush may change that in the next few weeks, we will see. To date my closest dealer has sold twelve 500i's including the one I have, and is getting them in about every month.

So far the filter on my 500i works fine. The filter does seem to load up pretty fast in dusty wood, and I wish the top fastener had a regular screw knob instead of the goofy half turn deal, I can see that getting loose after some time, which would allow dust in.
Screw knob would be great.

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone done an accurate fuel economy test on these against the 462 or autotune huskys . It can be a very real cost if somebody owns a fleet of saws . What's the real world figures on this as I'm interested

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone done an accurate fuel economy test on these against the 462 or autotune huskys . It can be a very real cost if somebody owns a fleet of saws . What's the real world figures on this as I'm interested
A stock muffler modded 462c and stock muffler modded 572xp are comparable in fuel economy. I wood say the 572xp is slightly more miserly though. Just roughly going off of combi can usage and trees cut per tank. Can’t comment about the 500i. Maybe one of the 500i experts can weigh in on fuel mileage compared to other saws?

Last edited:

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All else being equal, an under square engine will be more fuel-efficient with more torque; that would be the 572. Air/fuel mixture is another variable. OTOH, the 500i will use more fuel because it does more work in a given period of time, and I imagine that time is money for a faller.

Last edited:

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stock muffler modded 462c and stock muffler modded 572xp are comparable in fuel economy. I wood say the 572xp is slightly more miserly though. Just roughly going off of combi can usage and trees cut per tank. Can’t comment about the 500i. Maybe one of the 500i experts can weigh in on fuel mileage compared to other saws?
Mine is a thirsty s.o.b. the 462 or the 572 gets better mileage for sure. For me the 500 is not a saw I would pack 3000 ft down to a bottom of a unit. I have to pack to much fuel around. I'll take a 461 personally

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a thirsty s.o.b. the 462 or the 572 gets better mileage for sure. For me the 500 is not a saw I would pack 3000 ft down to a bottom of a unit. I have to pack to much fuel around. I'll take a 461 personally
Makes sense to me. I was surprised how good the MMWS 461 I ran for a few weeks was on fuel for the power output.

Last edited:

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still favor my 462... just my *s-wordty opinion. I think the 25 light balances better on the 462 and has plenty of zip for most NE hardwoods. The filter setup is way nicer on the 462, personally even in stock form I feel the 462 has a higher RPM powerband so it seems more appealing for limbing. It just seems to feel better in my hands than the 500i. Overall the performance gained in the 500 in peak power/torque is hard to justify for $200 more. Just my .02...

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize that the 500i is an 80 cc saw and will use more being bigger . But was wondering if the injection made it more economical per kw than air injection .

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize that the 500i is an 80 cc saw and will use more being bigger . But was wondering if the injection made it more economical per kw than air injection .
I would say the fuel injection did not improve fuel economy. What it improved is performance and overall engine behavior. I'm still deciding on which saw I like better the 500i or the 462, even after running them back to back it's a tough call for this guy. I will say in my opinion, for most the 462 is likely the better all around package. I do much prefer fuel injection over a computer controlled carb. In my hands the 500i has a lot wider power band, so if you want to run a 28"+ bar all day every day the 500i is what I'd say is a better fit there.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still favor my 462... just my *s-wordty opinion. I think the 25 light balances better on the 462 and has plenty of zip for most NE hardwoods. The filter setup is way nicer on the 462, personally even in stock form I feel the 462 has a higher RPM powerband so it seems more appealing for limbing. It just seems to feel better in my hands than the 500i. Overall the performance gained in the 500 in peak power/torque is hard to justify for $200 more. Just my .02...
Hey now. Even *s-wordty opinions matter. Be positive.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just read this whole thread. Why? Because I'm a junkie and don't need another saw but want just a few more. 4 more Dolmars, a 372, and a Stihl are on my list. I have a 461 that's OEM and about 15 tanks thru it. Just startin to shine for stock power.
Now I've been lookin at the two controversial saws in this thread. CC size isn't an issue for me. I have a fair selection with more to come. I prefer an old schooled carbed saw, so my attraction to these two are limited. I have an M-tronic in the 261 series that I needed to drop off at the dealer for diagnostics and repair. It was supposed to be diagnosed and reported back to me what it needed.
My dealer calls me and informs me I owe $240 plus in repairs. I haven't even picked it up yet. Wasn't ready for this at this time of the year. Slow point in the work flow for myself. But the junkie I am wants another Stihl. My 440 has been down for quite awhile now and I'm just tearing into it. I like that power to weight ratio which is on par with the 462. Between the 462 and the 500i it's a hard choice for me. I have narrowed it down to this though...... I have a disliking for primer bulbs.
Now I'm going to need Stihl's MDG1 analyzer...... no dealer will be workin on my stuff again.

I am glad to be here amongst power saw friends.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported 462 vs ported 500i is a mind numbing game changer to just about anyones opinion, once you run both, things get muddy if you're firm stance is on solid rock.
The question for me is this: why grab the 500i ?
Answer: because a *s-wordeatingrin is sometimes priceless, otherwise the 462 is whats used

I would say the fuel injection did not improve fuel economy. What it improved is performance and overall engine behavior. I'm still deciding on which saw I like better the 500i or the 462, even after running them back to back it's a tough call for this guy. I will say in my opinion, for most the 462 is likely the better all around package. I do much prefer fuel injection over a computer controlled carb. In my hands the 500i has a lot wider power band, so if you want to run a 28"+ bar all day every day the 500i is what I'd say is a better fit there.
Well said

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported 462 vs ported 500i is a mind numbing game changer to just about anyones opinion, once you run both, things get muddy if you're firm stance is on solid rock.
The question for me is this: why grab the 500i ?
Answer: because a *s-wordeatingrin is sometimes priceless, otherwise the 462 is whats used

Well said
That's a very fair statement. I have only ran stock for stock on the 462 directly with the 500i. My 462 is done up now but I haven't ran nor know any reputable ported 500i's to compare to.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Even though I've chosen the 462 for my next work saw, I can still see myself picking up the 500i.
For the very reason mentioned by @Moparmyway ...:D ...priceless.
That, and I don't want to become the only kid on the block without one.
I love power saws.

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even though I've chosen the 462 for my next work saw, I can still see myself picking up the 500i.
For the very reason mentioned by @Moparmyway ...:D ...priceless.
That, and I don't want to become the only kid on the block without one.
I love power saws.
They are the best power to weight saw in the market if you get rid of the baggage lol

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I wasn’t production cutting, and perhaps just using it for firewood, farm stuff, or any other professional, non-timber falling activities, I would favor the 462 over the 500 for sure. And then a 461 over that perhaps,lol.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I definitely agree with what you are saying about the fuel economy and whatnot.
Most fallers here are paid by the hour. So we don’t go home earlier if you cut more. Some guys get paid by the ton or thousand board foot, and then it’s a busheling game with a total different mindset for some. As has been said, fuel economy and efficiency are two different things. I personally want to be as productive as can be, while providing a high quality job. Let’s say that if I have to fuel up every 30 minutes with a 500i, perhaps I’d get more done overall with a 461 that goes for 50 minutes. Or maybe the 500i gets more done to make up for it, also while being lighter. That’s for everybody to decide for themself. But something I think about quite a bit.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I wasn’t production cutting, and perhaps just using it for firewood, farm stuff, or any other professional, non-timber falling activities, I would favor the 462 over the 500 for sure. And then a 461 over that perhaps,lol.
I understand the 500i has been out for awhile now but I'd like it to see some more time in the field before I get one. The primer bulb does turn me off a bit, but I do realize it's necessity. Already have a 461 in the fleet so....the 462 is next.
Did I mention I'm a junkie?