High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS440 Big Bore vs Hybrid or Ported

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If it was mine I would sell it and buy a more up to date saw, that 440 will soak up money, it already cost half the price of a new saw and it doesn't run right at all, if it was mine it would be gone long ago, and I can fix my own, but that saw has not had a good time from the looks of it when you got it, the seller knew what he was doing when he got rid of it.
Appreciate the advice. Like @Lightning Performance stated it’s kind of a project for me. I use to tinker around with firearms a lot and have somewhat burned out that passion so I kind of jumped both feet in on saws.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a MS440 that I am planning to go through in ‘22. I have looked a lot of the “hybrid” build threads. My question is what is the difference in going the hybrid route over using a big bore kit? Other than using an OEM cylinder (if one locates one or has one)what are the advantages of using the 460 cylinder? Looking back in a dyno thread I saw where a ported 440 was close to a hybrid build in terms of HP but lower on torque would it be more beneficial to just keep the 440 as is but port it?

In my experience a ported 440 is one heck of a saw, a hybrid will have an edge on it though in a heads up race against each other. Like others have stated an OEM cylinder is a must have and if you want one built proper look no farther than CFB @Canadian farm boy to build you an excellent one, he's the standard of the industry on these hybrids as far as I am concerned.

Here's My CFB hybrid in a big old honkin' log.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d put money into a 440 way before I would most newer ones. Simple design that can be rebuilt many times and all the parts are available

Stihl may be out of this or that on different saw models temporarily due to the new normal, Otherwise yes a great saw to do a project with, that will result in a good serviceable saw. One of my favorites.

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl may be out of this or that on different saw models temporarily due to the new normal, Otherwise yes a great saw to do a project with, that will result in a good serviceable saw. One of my favorites.
Thanks @Stump Shot. I have grown fond the 440 as is now. I am not a racer not planning on it but like everything I always would like a little extra. I am definitely digging hybrids but I am thinking the ported 440cylinder might be a better route for me in regards to a “working” saw.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @Stump Shot. I have grown fond the 440 as is now. I am not a racer not planning on it but like everything I always would like a little extra. I am definitely digging hybrids but I am thinking the ported 440cylinder might be a better route for me in regards to a “working” saw.

I have both, you can always get another...

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Besides poor port layout and direction, the “Big Bores” basically enlarge to bore but keep the transfer tunnels the same size. The increased bore makes the tunnel area even smaller than the already poorly done AM tunnel.

When you try to fit the 046 jug on your saw, you’ll see what I mean. Like CFB said, the 046/460 jugs are one of the most inconsistent jugs in the Stihl lineup. The oldest “D” jugs tend to have the widest tunnels and will usually need the most sanding on the outer tunnel and/or flywheel relief to fit on the 044 chassis. All 52mm will require some clearance, but the oldies are by far the worst.

It’s worse when the jug gets lowered from porting machine work.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Yes. But if you hit full screen it should go back to normal. Lol

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
T1

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’d put money into a 440 way before I would most newer ones. Simple design that can be rebuilt many times and all the parts are available
Pretty solid unbiased thinking for someone relatively new to the saw motor world of making them go fast or go again. Kevin is a quick study and dishes out solid advice and tools.
Heck I'm impressed with the stock 044 (with bgd) . For working with, you might just be surprised how it runs after a good rebuild and some tweaks.

More good advice but port it anyway just because you need one soon.

This saw done yet? ;)

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty solid unbiased thinking for someone relatively new to the saw motor world of making them go fast or go again. Kevin is a quick study and dishes out solid advice and tools.

More good advice but port it anyway just because you need one soon.

This saw done yet? ;)
I'd like to have an Ms441 ported, but the pimp daddy of those only does "new saws" . I heard that he likes sand cast aluminium Poulans though so I've started grabbing them when opportunity allows and maybe if I've got 4or5 nice ones and show up at the gtg maybe I could persuade him?