High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS440 Big Bore vs Hybrid or Ported

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a MS440 that I am planning to go through in ‘22. I have looked a lot of the “hybrid” build threads. My question is what is the difference in going the hybrid route over using a big bore kit? Other than using an OEM cylinder (if one locates one or has one)what are the advantages of using the 460 cylinder? Looking back in a dyno thread I saw where a ported 440 was close to a hybrid build in terms of HP but lower on torque would it be more beneficial to just keep the 440 as is but port it?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a MS440 that I am planning to go through in ‘22. I have looked a lot of the “hybrid” build threads. My question is what is the difference in going the hybrid route over using a big bore kit? Other than using an OEM cylinder (if one locates one or has one)what are the advantages of using the 460 cylinder? Looking back in a dyno thread I saw where a ported 440 was close to a hybrid build in terms of HP but lower on torque would it be more beneficial to just keep the 440 as is but port it?
A well done hybrid will give you everything a ms440/044 does in terms of weight size and throttle speed with the added bonus of ms460/046 hp/torque.
Stay far away from the big bore kits. I’ve yet to see one that works as good as a stock jug. The port shapes/direction/size and the plating suck.
Find yourself a good used ms460/046 jug, get an oem or meteor brand piston. Anything else will ultimately be a waste of time and money.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A well done hybrid will give you everything a ms440/044 does in terms of weight size and throttle speed with the added bonus of ms460/046 hp/torque.
Stay far away from the big bore kits. I’ve yet to see one that works as good as a stock jug. The port shapes/direction/size and the plating suck.
Find yourself a good used ms460/046 jug, get an oem or meteor brand piston. Anything else will ultimately be a waste of time and money.
Are the Meteor cylinders of decent quality?
I've kept an eye out for a 046/460 jug but haven't noticed any. I have mostly NOS for my build and some used OEM.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CFB is dead on. Ported Hybrid is what you want. No aftermarket jug is as good as OEM. Meteor and Hyway lead the pack, but still have significant quality control problems and the plating is questionable. Put a wanted add up in the parts forum. A 460 jug won’t come cheap but will be worth the investment.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've kept an eye out for a 046/460 jug but haven't noticed any. I have mostly NOS for my build and some used OEM.
The plating quality is good, but the ports are usually smaller than oem. And lack of good direction seems to be consistent throughout the AM brands. I’ve always thought the AM companies pushed the BB kits so much because they need the extra mm or 2 in bore size to get the power up closer to oem.

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Assuming you mean ported along with it being a hybrid or just making it a hybrid itself?

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
CFB is dead on. Ported Hybrid is what you want. No aftermarket jug is as good as OEM. Meteor and Hyway lead the pack, but still have significant quality control problems and the plating is questionable. Put a wanted add up in the parts forum. A 460 jug won’t come cheap but will be worth the investment.
Yea the few new OEM ones I’ve seen are just shy of $400.

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Imo, oem cylinder only for a wood ported saw. If you just want make it run and you’re not worried about performance then I guess the meteor cylinder would be ok.

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Assuming you mean ported along with it being a hybrid or just making it a hybrid itself?
Yes, ported. You may get lucky with running a stock 046 cylinder and have a saw that performs very well.
The ms460/046 jugs are very inconsistent with the port timing.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a MS440 that I am planning to go through in ‘22. I have looked a lot of the “hybrid” build threads. My question is what is the difference in going the hybrid route over using a big bore kit?

The quality.

Other than using an OEM cylinder (if one locates one or has one)what are the advantages of using the 460 cylinder?

Do you plan on running a 28" bar or racing it?

Looking back in a dyno thread I saw where a ported 440 was close to a hybrid build in terms of HP but lower on torque would it be more beneficial to just keep the 440 as is but port it?

The bar size, again imo.

A ported 20" or 24" bar saw will be fast with an eight pin rim 440/044 especially is softer woods. Just easier to move the chip most times.
You will also get more vibes with the bigger bores. If people say no they probably didn't compare the two most times. It's not a cheap simple build unless your just bolting on an early 046 first year jug with good timing numbers. Pot luck there as mentioned by others.

Are you going to spend money doing machine work on a lesser casting?

The Meteor jug has great plating near as hard as OEM Husky. Not much else to brag about.

Given some time with epoxy one could be made to run much better that a box stock AM casting. It might be able to catch an OEM 52mm with a 54mm and some creative thinking.
If you want to give it a shot PM me. I'd go for it over the winter at my bench. Could build a pair of them. Started mine and shelved it over two years ago. Still got my 460's also and five jugs but none in OE for sale. Could get you one.

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a MS440 that I am planning to go through in ‘22. I have looked a lot of the “hybrid” build threads. My question is what is the difference in going the hybrid route over using a big bore kit?

The quality.

Other than using an OEM cylinder (if one locates one or has one)what are the advantages of using the 460 cylinder?

Do you plan on running a 28" bar or racing it?

Looking back in a dyno thread I saw where a ported 440 was close to a hybrid build in terms of HP but lower on torque would it be more beneficial to just keep the 440 as is but port it?

The bar size, again imo.

A ported 20" or 24" bar saw will be fast with an eight pin rim 440/044 especially is softer woods. Just easier to move the chip most times.
You will also get more vibes with the bigger bores. If people say no they probably didn't compare the two most times. It's not a cheap simple build unless your just bolting on an early 046 first year jug with good timing numbers. Pot luck there as mentioned by others.

Are you going to spend money doing machine work on a lesser casting?

The Meteor jug has great plating near as hard as OEM Husky. Not much else to brag about.

Given some time with epoxy one could be made to run much better that a box stock AM casting. It might be able to catch an OEM 52mm with a 54mm and some creative thinking.
If you want to give it a shot PM me. I'd go for it over the winter at my bench. Could build a pair of them. Started mine and shelved it over two years ago. Still got my 460's also and five jugs but none in OE for sale. Could get you one.

What made you shelve it? I assume time and other projects. I’ve been using a 25” bar 3/8” pitch .050 chain. PM sent as well. Thanks guys y’all have been extremely informative and helpful as always.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What made you shelve it? I assume time and other projects. I’ve been using a 25” bar 3/8” pitch .050 chain. PM sent as well. Thanks guys y’all have been extremely informative and helpful as always.
No inside bench to work on and lack of a good local machinist willing to set up a jig for my cylinder work. Machinist lives on the next street now so one down and one to go :)

No PM from you, yet.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was mine I would sell it and buy a more up to date saw, that 440 will soak up money, it already cost half the price of a new saw and it doesn't run right at all, if it was mine it would be gone long ago, and I can fix my own, but that saw has not had a good time from the looks of it when you got it, the seller knew what he was doing when he got rid of it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it was mine I would sell it and buy a more up to date saw, that 440 will soak up money, it already cost half the price of a new saw and it doesn't run right at all, if it was mine it would be gone long ago, and I can fix my own, but that saw has not had a good time from the looks of it when you got it, the seller knew what he was doing when he got rid of it.
I think that was the point. A fun project to sink a few bucks in.