MS201T C

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More AM bashing. This muffler was on a 395 I just worked on. What a waste of money. Yes the OEM muffler is pricey but you get whatcha pay for
View attachment 207694
I'll be open and honest. I have used plenty of AM parts on saws for me and customers. I also think there is a time and a place for OEM. If it's a hobby grade saw and the customer fully understands what it is.. use them. I also am not one to bash AM parts here on OPE as HL Supply does a large volume of AM parts. Personally I think it's in bad taste to come out and run what the site owner is selling in the mud.

Commercial saws I always choose to use OEM parts unless requested other wise by the customer. I have found the money saved on AM parts is less than the additional time to get the AM part to function/fit like OEM. Also with parts like handle bars it can quickly become a safety issue.

That's just my opinion and it isn't worth much!

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's an aftermarket muffler I put on a 3120.

View attachment 207696

Randy was that an extra spicy work saw? What's the noise like with an outlet like that on there? I know my 346 "Stitch Maker" has a large outlet on it but it isn't that rowdy at all for noise. It does get rowdy when you give 'er all the way.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Waiting for that vid...:couch:

thinking it should have a nice tone.

I have used a few AM mufflers on 394/395 and always throught they were pretty good out of the box.
Me too..I really like the Hyway ones from Bruce. I think the biggest issue with a 394/395 is the way the muffler hits with the standard smaller spikes when bucking big sticks. I like how Stihl mufflers generally tuck in more than Husky mufflers and they rarely rub on the wood you are bucking.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like how the old Stihls have a protective cage on the muffler to protect the heat softened steel from getting beat up.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok IF I get this POS to start.. I figure I might as well give it a wake up treatment. Anyone care to share how much off the key will give me about 6-8° of timing advance OR what works well for timing advance on these M-tronic little ones?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok IF I get this POS to start.. I figure I might as well give it a wake up treatment. Anyone care to share how much off the key will give me about 6-8° of timing advance OR what works well for timing advance on these M-tronic little ones?

Don't advance the timing on the MT 201.

Just a good muffler mod.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They updated the flywheel and ignition system on the 201's around 2014. The early saws were not received well from commercial guys upgrading from 200t's. There is a serial no posted in an AS thread where ALL saws after that number had the updated flywheel/ignition that had more advance. Just a little bit of info I remember.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't advance the timing on the MT 201.

Just a good muffler mod.
They updated the flywheel and ignition system on the 201's around 2014. The early saws were not received well from commercial guys upgrading from 200t's. There is a serial no posted in an AS thread where ALL saws after that number had the updated flywheel/ignition that had more advance. Just a little bit of info I remember.
Thanks!

I will admit it came in a royal PITA but at this point I think its growing on me. Maybe he wants to swap this MS201 for my MS200?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm. I take the corner of the keyway. 3-4 degrees and it seems to help. Maybe I’m wasting my time.

I've never advanced the timing on a stock saw, so I may spoken out of turn. I should have said, that the way I build these, timing advance does not help.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never advanced the timing on a stock saw, so I may spoken out of turn. I should have said, that the way I build these, timing advance does not help.
Well if I pop an extra hole in the fart can it is technically modified isn't it? I am pretty sure the USFS would say it is. [emoji848]