MS201T C

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MS201TC showed up today. Tree service saw purchased March of 2017. He generally does not like the saw. Last few months and it has been to two or three other Stihl shops. Everytime it comes back worse than when dropped off.

Fast forward to today...saw is to a 'No Start' condition. Quick check I pull the plug and have zero spark. I spun the motor over at 1800 rpm and zero ignition. Obviously this is where the no start comes from as the plug is wet.

Further investigation and it's only showing 105 psi on my Echo gauge designed for small plug/small two strokes. I am at 300' above sea level.

I have to pull the muffler tomorrow but I doubt it is scored. I have been told these are not super high compression but 105 seems on the low side.

I have zero experience with a 201 and minimal M-Tronic experience. Is it possible to remove the M-Tronic from this saw and run it 'traditional'? I found an old thread talking of a kit that would get me a coil, flywheel, carb that is supposed to work together. Will this kit fit this saw? Anything else I need to purchase in addition? Linkage, kill switch wiring, etc?
Have you cross checked that compression tester on other saws and gotten normal readings?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you cross checked that compression tester on other saws and gotten normal readings?
Yes I have. The adapter also has a Schrader valve in the bottom of the adapter so give an accurate reading when using it on 10mm plugs. It's the Echo small engine setup @Definitive Dave sells. It's been very accurate thus far.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the wiring harness and electrical connection to the solenoid valve. If there is a malfunction in the connection, no spark is given or only a few seconds.
So with the solenoid wiring disconnected from the coil it will NOT spark? I cannot run this as a standalone coil making spark?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I have. The adapter also has a Schrader valve in the bottom of the adapter so give an accurate reading when using it on 10mm plugs. It's the Echo small engine setup @Definitive Dave sells. It's been very accurate thus far.

I've yet to see any type of adapter that doesn't read low.

So with the solenoid wiring disconnected from the coil it will NOT spark? I cannot run this as a standalone coil making spark?

Leave the solenoid plugged in and it will make spark.....then just swap in a old style carb if you want.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. That`s why I said check the wiring harness, to see if there is a break or something.

When ham handed "repairmen" mess with these units, the connections tend to be stress tested.

The wiring harness is cheap compared to labor rates, so I lean towards replacing it on a problematic saw as a matter of course rather than chasing gremlins.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. So it's a rainy day so I wasn't rushing in to the work house today. I took 5 minutes and re-compression tested this saw. Again I just spun the motor over at 1,800 rpm and we read 140 psi this go around. I would say compression is fine.

Next course of action is to clean this saw and then start checking connections and such. At this point it may be just a bad coil. I want to make REAL sure it's a coil before I order one...they aren't cheap.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes that`s the easier and cheaper way.
the "Wiring" harness doesn't work like the 'Old' 200tin that it needs to be "complete" for it to work proper. I tried "wiring" in a few patches chasing a faulty "kill" switch until I priced a 'new harness' from the dealer. As you said....replacing the entire wiring harness is not expensive if your time is cheap :)

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When ham handed "repairmen" mess with these units, the connections tend to be stress tested.

The wiring harness is cheap compared to labor rates, so I lean towards replacing it on a problematic saw as a matter of course rather than chasing gremlins.
It only takes a tiny nick in the insulation to bring out the gremlins. I was putting one back together after Humpty Dumbty took a big fall. Even after a couple of years, it still hurts just thinking about it. Lol. Amazing how well it ran after a $20 harness

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok. So it's a rainy day so I wasn't rushing in to the work house today. I took 5 minutes and re-compression tested this saw. Again I just spun the motor over at 1,800 rpm and we read 140 psi this go around. I would say compression is fine.

Next course of action is to clean this saw and then start checking connections and such. At this point it may be just a bad coil. I want to make REAL sure it's a coil before I order one...they aren't cheap.
Are ya sure that you were spinning it in the right direction?
If you do it backwards it will suck the spark back into the coil.
And it will never light off the plug.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are ya sure that you were spinning it in the right direction?
If you do it backwards it will suck the spark back into the coil.
And it will never light off the plug.
Yeah...clutch came off spinning it..

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been laid up the last few days. Hope to get back on this one as soon as I get back on my feet..
3375c7153b0aa1ff892d5dc7916d3091.jpg