More messy jobs

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm seeing more jobs where the logs are not stacked after the tree work. Wood is left helter skelter for the log splitting people such as myself to split it all up. I have not seen so many messy jobs in years.

The latest is one where the property owner stupidly got a lot of partial tree length wood, now well on its way to be substandard. I looked at it and gave him a price.

Sticks vary in width and length, lots of dirt so hard to cut up without dulling good chain saws.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huh? I am not tracking what you are saying.

Are you paying for the wood to be stacked? Are you getting free wood from a tree job, tops from a logging operation? You quoted a price; are you getting paid to clean it up? Are you getting paid to turn it into firewood for the landowner?

What is the situation that makes it a "messy job"?

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is that many customers are just paying the least to have wood cut up leaving wood helter skelter. So the log splitting operation has to deal with sticks in the dirt and mud needing to be cut up, dulling out saws, etc.. When I used to get calls wanting log splitting the wood was all stacked, the last few jobs are just messes that they want a contractor to fix. You have to charge more for jobs like this.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is that many customers are just paying the least to have wood cut up leaving wood helter skelter. So the log splitting operation has to deal with sticks in the dirt and mud needing to be cut up, dulling out saws, etc.. When I used to get calls wanting log splitting the wood was all stacked, the last few jobs are just messes that they want a contractor to fix. You have to charge more for jobs like this.
So you take the wood that’s cut and cut it to size and split it. ?? In other words you offer splitting services? Didn’t know that was a thing Pretty cool gig

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the wood all reasonably close or is it spread out and you have to cut it and move to the splitter?

How do you price these jobs and what is your expected net $$/hr, or profit margin?

krag

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked for Harold Self in 1993 who charged $65/hr for log splitting with his lickity splitter and extra labor. Now I am trying to charge $50/hr. in 2021 dollars, considerably depreciated. Some jobs go smoothly, others are done for customers insensitive to the amount of work involved; wear and tear on equipment as well as all other challenges. My older brother said he would help me on future estimates. "Go high" is his advice. There are not many doing log splitting. If you hire legal labor, using quality machines for the work and play by all the rules of the state and federal government you have to charge.