High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Who would rather NOT have help with their firewood?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
On your own you have to do the lot , no short straw when it comes to clearing brash and moving wood. I take away the tops and have a clear up , and then, get to do the nice bit at the end.
Photo0922.jpg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Family is the one exception for me also. When my Dad, or my brother come up they know the drill on how I do the wood and follow the program. Dad and I have a good rythum on the splitter and work both fast and safe. The 3 of us have long had an understanding that who's ever house we are at, it's his project and the other 2 are there to help, not go off and do their own thing.
The family working together to get heating wood.
Thats a good point you make Bob. Thinking back to when I was a kid I helped my Grandad and Father with firewood but it never turned around the other way in later yrs with them helping me. Just how things went due to Grandad being gone by the time I was 8 and I kept my parents in firewood until they stopped using any way before father passed 15 yrs odd ago. Modern heating took over for them ...but not me.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I look at "firewood" differently...
Quit drinking a few years ago so wrenching and firewooding has replaced drinking and fighting....
I can make use of anybody who wants some wood and is willing to help. A quick assessment of skills availability and a few safety lessons and poof ...we're having fun. I guess it might be different for me if I HAD to "firewood"..
I like to.

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would much rather do it all by myself, & much like when I'm grinding chains it helps me zone out life's BS, I can take my time & not have to worry about 10 things at once. My dad runs the splitter while I keep it fed which does speed up the process, he cant really do any heavy lifting because of having a stroke 6 years ago.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A tip I learned a few years ago really helped me stay on length. A marking stick, and a top handled saw. Stick in the left hand, saw in the right....just mark down the stem, and cut the small stuff. Once you get used to a certain length, it becomes hard to cut any other size.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On your own you have to do the lot , no short straw when it comes to clearing brash and moving wood. I take away the tops and have a clear up , and then, get to do the nice bit at the end.
View attachment 227005

I always like to stay on top of the brush and keep the work area clean as I go. Not safe to have a lot of brush underfoot to wade through.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had the first one you did (I know Mk 2 is done) for Andrew with me in the past. I like the small saws a "Lot" ...but will change up to a ps-6100 on the larger trunks. :)
Andrew will have the mkII in a week or so. Let me know what you think of it if you get the chance.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always like to stay on top of the brush and keep the work area clean as I go. Not safe to have a lot of brush underfoot to wade through.
Totally agree . Sure , if im just dropping timber to then winch out I cut the top away and winch the trunk to clear ground, otherwise its more than worth keeping a clear worksite. "More speed , less haste"

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand to have anyone help me when doing my own wood. First is that it seems no one can stay on length. I've always cut to 16" and have a good eye for it. But it's difficult for anyone to stay on length if the person they are helping cuts to a different length than they do for themselves. If the "helper" is used to cutting 18" or 20" wood then they will naturally gravitate back to what they are used to. It's a royal pain to have to trim 3-4 inches off to fit in the stove. I've seen some guys seemingly not even pay attention to length at all, with just random lengths. I've been in other group cuts helping someone and some guys are willing to taylor what they are doing to what the owner wants, but others get annoyed if they have to pay attention to anything. Just want to get through the pile and on to the beer cooler.

Plus in our saw centric world, everyone likes to run the saws, but nobody likes to run the splitter or transport/stack. Saw work is really a small part of the overall job. It's easy to blast through a log pile with saws, but this isn't help for me. It really just makes a big mess on the ground. I'm never in the mode where production is an issue and I need to get a lot done. I'll do a couple 3 logs, run the blocks up to the splitter and split them. Never like to leave a pile of blocks down at the log pile. I'm into that neat and orderly A-B-C approach, which I guess means I'm just plain fussy. :)

I do all of the cutting 99.9% of the time. I mark my wood before cutting. If I were going to have somebody help cut, I would mark it first before turning them loose. My help usually loads for me and pulls limbs. The real help comes when splitting. 2 people can do 3 times the work IMO; and more people is better. Stacking is way better with a little help too.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having the firstest ever firewood GTG here last fall was fun, sure you don't end up with perfect length wood, but the wood gobbler doesn't care much and I can toss the shorts to the back for an extra fill on a cold night, so everything gets burned, all is appreciated and none is wasted. And it lets me exercise the gaskets in one of the saw's if one is too long for the splitter. :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand to have anyone help me when doing my own wood. First is that it seems no one can stay on length. I've always cut to 16" and have a good eye for it. But it's difficult for anyone to stay on length if the person they are helping cuts to a different length than they do for themselves. If the "helper" is used to cutting 18" or 20" wood then they will naturally gravitate back to what they are used to. It's a royal pain to have to trim 3-4 inches off to fit in the stove. I've seen some guys seemingly not even pay attention to length at all, with just random lengths. I've been in other group cuts helping someone and some guys are willing to taylor what they are doing to what the owner wants, but others get annoyed if they have to pay attention to anything. Just want to get through the pile and on to the beer cooler.

Plus in our saw centric world, everyone likes to run the saws, but nobody likes to run the splitter or transport/stack. Saw work is really a small part of the overall job. It's easy to blast through a log pile with saws, but this isn't help for me. It really just makes a big mess on the ground. I'm never in the mode where production is an issue and I need to get a lot done. I'll do a couple 3 logs, run the blocks up to the splitter and split them. Never like to leave a pile of blocks down at the log pile. I'm into that neat and orderly A-B-C approach, which I guess means I'm just plain fussy. :)
I buck and split all the firewood needed for my household alone, and for the most time I do so enjoying it.

I hate stacking, wouldn't mind some help with that.

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is about as truthful as you can be! Everyone wants to run the saws and then forget about the grunt work after the saw work is done. The grunt work is what gives me a workout and keeps my belly from hanging over my belt buckle! :coleman:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone needing that 16" firewood just have the wrong wood stove! You definitely don't want my help since I'm used to cutting for an OWB nearly 30 is the norm for anything under 12" diameter.
They keep showing an add on FB for a Hoss, top loader. It has me thinking about getting one!

Louie B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Time is the magic word for me......
Don't have time to babysit stupid. .
Just get of the way and shut up!!!!!!

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't burn wood without help from my dad. My boys also get in on most of the action...
This is the first year without help from my Dad, and I’ve been behind all year. It’s not that I can’t do it by myself, because I do. But it’s just not the same without him.