Old man down the road.....done

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's an older couple, both in their mid 80's, that live down the road from me. In the winter, their only heat source is wood, from an OWB.
Every year, in March, the old man gets a load of logs delivered. He generally has the wood cut, split and stacked by the first of May. His son helped him but he moved earlier this year.
On Monday, one of the neighbors talked to the old man and found out that he had been working about an hour a day on the pile but wasn't getting much done. He's not capable of working up firewood any longer and can't afford to buy processed wood. He has arthritis in his hands and cuts his wood short and splits it small. He and his wife had been talking about selling their property and moving to town, which neither wants to do.
Several of the local guys talked and we are going to work up the wood for him.
I went over last evening and set up new pallets to stack the wood on and did a bit of cutting. The pile was a mess but I cut what I could, until we can split and stack to make room. It was 90* and not conducive to running saws.
We're supposed to have several guys there this evening, with splitters, to get things moving. Supposed to be 92* today.
I sure wish it was going to be a little cooler.
Here's where we are now.
image.jpeg
The small stack of splits, next to his splitter, is all that the old man was able to do, in 10 weeks.

image.jpeg

When we're done, he wants to buy a couple cases of beer and drink it with us.
We accepted!

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's an older couple, both in their mid 80's, that live down the road from me. In the winter, their only heat source is wood, from an OWB.
Every year, in March, the old man gets a load of logs delivered. He generally has the wood cut, split and stacked by the first of May. His son helped him but he moved earlier this year.
On Monday, one of the neighbors talked to the old man and found out that he had been working about an hour a day on the pile but wasn't getting much done. He's not capable of working up firewood any longer and can't afford to buy processed wood. He has arthritis in his hands and cuts his wood short and splits it small. He and his wife had been talking about selling their property and moving to town, which neither wants to do.
Several of the local guys talked and we are going to work up the wood for him.
I went over last evening and set up new pallets to stack the wood on and did a bit of cutting. The pile was a mess but I cut what I could, until we can split and stack to make room. It was 90* and not conducive to running saws.
We're supposed to have several guys there this evening, with splitters, to get things moving. Supposed to be 92* today.
I sure wish it was going to be a little cooler.
Here's where we are now.
View attachment 243988
The small stack of splits, next to his splitter, is all that the old man was able to do, in 10 weeks.

View attachment 243989

When we're done, he wants to buy a couple cases of beer and drink it with us.
We accepted!

Where is this located?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good on You guys to help the man out! :)

I was at my firewood logs supplier and neighbor today, he has been down with mayor health issues since last December.
His employee rounded up his logger pals to buck and split his firewood needs, if the weather serves they'll get cracking this Saturday.
Supposedly the loggers will bring numerous saws and a couple splitters.
The neighbor will thank them with drinks and a suckling pig.

I would love to attend, this would be the closest to a GTG as it gets for me - unfortunately I made previous arrangements for another gathering.
Since my gathering is weather independent I kinda hope that it will rain this Saturday which would postpone the firewood processing at my neighbors.
Am I evil for wishing that?! :oops:

I offered my neighbor several times to buck and even split his firewood logs, he never accepted and I did not impose myself.

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's awesome guys!
If anyone's got a grapple and dump trailer it's perfect splitting out of the ass end with those waist high splitters and a hookeroon. A hay rack isn't bad either.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish this was in my neck of the woods; I'd be there for sure.

Have done this a couple times for folks around here, and it's a great time with the right guys. Doesn't even seem like work. But...……….I've never done it in 90 degree temps. ;)

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday one of the other guys went over with his splitter and split about half of what I cut on Tue. There were supposed to be three but the other two were no shows.
image.jpeg

I went over earlier today, stacked what was split and cut a bit more.
image.jpeg
We're making progress.
This evening there are two splitters and three guys working on what I cut.
This started as six volunteers but ended up with four.
I figure a few more days and we can have this knocked out.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good on you. If I was closer I'd come help. The elderly have put in their time in this crazy world and deserve all the help they can get. Cheers!
Agreed.
Yesterday, while I was taking a break, the old man was telling me that they finally received their stimulus check. He said it took longer for them because their only income is from Social Security and they don't file a tax return.
These folks are living close to the bone.
Several years ago, he saw my Pickaroon and asked about it. When I told him what it cost and where to get one, he said he couldn't afford it just then.
I ordered one and had it delivered to him.