Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got back in town. I really think the case gasket it fine but... I figured I have to step up and be a big boy and do a bottom end some day, why not get a few tools and make sure the build is solid. So I jumped on huztl and took advantage of the fathers day sale, grabbed the 2 splitters, oils seal puller and a 660... oops. May as well do 2 right?
Here's where I'm at on parts ordered so far
Crank bearings, OEM clutch side, Nachi ZZ fly side. will I have to pull a seal on the nachis?
Meteor piston kit.
OEM Piston Pin bearing.
Used OEM caps and lines just in case. The fuel cap gasket is shot
K15-WJ kit for the walbro WJ6A M7 carb.
Elastostart
cheap knock off brake handle.

Here's what I'm not sure about.

What gasket and seals should I grab? OEM Aftermarket? Brand?
Can an OEM brake handle be found reasonable?
AV seems like it may be a little soft. Worth replacing? OEM Aftermarket?

Thanks for the help and the kind words. I'm hoping to get a few minutes tomorrow to finish cleaning up the cylinder and post a few pics. Also decided I'm going to try to get my 8yo to help me on this to teach him how engines work.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got back in town. I really think the case gasket it fine but... I figured I have to step up and be a big boy and do a bottom end some day, why not get a few tools and make sure the build is solid. So I jumped on huztl and took advantage of the fathers day sale, grabbed the 2 splitters, oils seal puller and a 660... oops. May as well do 2 right?
Here's where I'm at on parts ordered so far
Crank bearings, OEM clutch side, Nachi ZZ fly side. will I have to pull a seal on the nachis?
Meteor piston kit.
OEM Piston Pin bearing.
Used OEM caps and lines just in case. The fuel cap gasket is shot
K15-WJ kit for the walbro WJ6A M7 carb.
Elastostart
cheap knock off brake handle.

Here's what I'm not sure about.

What gasket and seals should I grab? OEM Aftermarket? Brand?
Can an OEM brake handle be found reasonable?
AV seems like it may be a little soft. Worth replacing? OEM Aftermarket?

Thanks for the help and the kind words. I'm hoping to get a few minutes tomorrow to finish cleaning up the cylinder and post a few pics. Also decided I'm going to try to get my 8yo to help me on this to teach him how engines work.
oem gasket set and hoses
there is no seal on the nachi bearings
aftermarket av mounts are ok

066 redeye

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, Seal and gasket set coming from Bill down under. After Market rubber set and a new clutch cover.
Thanks for the heads up on the bearings @dall I had seen the ausie oem seal and gasket kit I'm just kinda tight and get a real pinch shelling out that kind of money for gaskets and seals. Good to know it's a good known seller. Thanks @066 redeye

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, Seal and gasket set coming from Bill down under. After Market rubber set and a new clutch cover.
Thanks for the heads up on the bearings @dall I had seen the ausie oem seal and gasket kit I'm just kinda tight and get a real pinch shelling out that kind of money for gaskets and seals. Good to know it's a good known seller. Thanks @066 redeye
The one mentioned above was for 064/early 066. If they're gaskets for a 660, you'll want the later ones

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm fighting myself on whether to go the maxflow route and drop the $100 plus bucks on a filter base and filter.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, this is purely for giggles for me. If I hold onto the saw I might use it a few hours a year.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, this is purely for giggles for me. If I hold onto the saw I might use it a few hours a year.
i wouldnt worry about the max flow setup unless you plan on keeping it or using it alot

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
dan showed the right set the case gasket has a small area at front bottom corner and the 660 used a bigger more rounded style at the bottom corner
I thought he was looking for a Chihl 660 gasket set

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the 660 is just an add on to a huztl order. It'll be all chinese with a cross top end and the same OEM and Nachi bearings.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the gasket set for the chinese one would come with the parts like we did a few years ago
Yep I was just making sure he knew the difference between the 064/early 66 gaskets and the later 66/ 660 gaskets. Wasn't sure if they were for his 064 or a Chinese 660

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I know the difference but I'll know for sure when they all show up. I certainly appreciate the heads up.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No gasket set to compare yet but I did finish cleaning the transfer out of the cylinder. I'm pretty pleased with it. I've seen better.... but not by me. 20190620_222046.jpg 20190620_222101.jpg 20190620_222119.jpg 20190620_222111.jpg

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I tore down the saw and started cleaning parts. Everything went pretty well with the exception of 2 things.
1. I should have known better than to put the name plate badge on the recoil in the dishwasher
2. the oil pump to bar oiler hole is impossible to remove. I finally got it off the pump after about half an hour a set of channel locks and a set of needle nose. The thing is so hard I can barely squeeze it with the needle nose. How does it come off of the other side? is it a male hose barb out of the case?

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and @dall was right, the case has a leak. At least in the oil reservoir. I was washing it out with the mix I emptied out of the fuel tank and it was making tiny bubble from the gasket.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I tore down the saw and started cleaning parts. Everything went pretty well with the exception of 2 things.
1. I should have known better than to put the name plate badge on the recoil in the dishwasher
2. the oil pump to bar oiler hole is impossible to remove. I finally got it off the pump after about half an hour a set of channel locks and a set of needle nose. The thing is so hard I can barely squeeze it with the needle nose. How does it come off of the other side? is it a male hose barb out of the case?
was the brass ferrule in the oil hose at the case side ?
new oem hose kit comes with ll new pieces i usually make sure i have all the paint out of where the hose goes and spray lube in the hole before trying to put the hose back in
on the recoil badge the only option i see lately for new old style badge is finding a nos recoil from a different model