Mastermind Meets The Echo 800P

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Man, I have one. It's a HDA 63-1 16.66 venturi. I put a ported quad top end on an 8000, the HDA 153 on the saw was junk and I scored the 63-1 on ebay a couple of years ago. I suppose I could swap it for the 800P carb to see what you can get out of her. Don't use the 8000 accept for the occasional stump. Pulls .404 full comp on a 24" bar pretty well. Let me know if want it and I can pull it for you. I bought a 2188 you build and I'm impressed every time I run it ! Lived in Tennessee 24 years, miss it every day. Larry

Who did you get your 2188 from?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Man, I have one. It's a HDA 63-1 16.66 venturi. I put a ported quad top end on an 8000, the HDA 153 on the saw was junk and I scored the 63-1 on ebay a couple of years ago. I suppose I could swap it for the 800P carb to see what you can get out of her. Don't use the 8000 accept for the occasional stump. Pulls .404 full comp on a 24" bar pretty well. Let me know if want it and I can pull it for you. I bought a 2188 you build and I'm impressed every time I run it ! Lived in Tennessee 24 years, miss it every day. Larry

I'm sure the owner would love to have that carb Larry. I'll send you a message, thanks a lot.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, it's that one. Bought her from Mr. Graham. I have run several gallons through her so far, she's just getting broken in. Still looks like new, I take good care of my equipment.

That was a strong saw. Clint got it from me. I bought it from Like2Surf in June 2013. Randy brokered the deal for me, as it was the week my FIL passed away from stage 4 glioblastoma brain cancer.

Larry Joe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That was a strong saw. Clint got it from me. I bought it from Like2Surf in June 2013. Randy brokered the deal for me, as it was the week my FIL passed away from stage 4 glioblastoma brain cancer.
I had tracked it's history on the other site, when you sold it to Clint. I would imagine it's an even stronger saw now. Run Belray H1-R @ 32:1 tuned at 13,100. Dropped many tons of Eucalyptus with her this week. Pulls 34" full comp right nice. Take care, Larry

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Larry, thanks man. I'm sending the carb onto Rob, and I'll get him to send the OE carb on to you. Very nice of you sir.

I just left Rob a message to call me........

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow. I'm humbled by the quality of people on this site...unbelievable. Thank you Randy and Larry!

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Zombie Thread alert!

(And apologies)

I recently picked up an 800P with 36” bar for an <exceptionally> fair price. However it is an utterly gutless pig, and I’d currently rather mount a 3ft bar on my ported 044 than this brick.

I intend to give it a fairly unremarkable port job (80/100/120ish) and keep it in the truck on removal jobs as a backup saw for big wood, but the carb has me concerned. I’m no carb guru, and if it gave @Mastermind the runaround, I’d prefer to avoid even trying to make the 800P carb work.

Does anyone have a source for the larger 16.6 HDA carb off of the CS8000 series of saws? Google is being typically unhelpful and recommending me scores of parts for a Timberwolf, etc

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Zombie Thread alert!

(And apologies)

I recently picked up an 800P with 36” bar for an <exceptionally> fair price. However it is an utterly gutless pig, and I’d currently rather mount a 3ft bar on my ported 044 than this brick.

I intend to give it a fairly unremarkable port job (80/100/120ish) and keep it in the truck on removal jobs as a backup saw for big wood, but the carb has me concerned. I’m no carb guru, and if it gave @Mastermind the runaround, I’d prefer to avoid even trying to make the 800P carb work.

Does anyone have a source for the larger 16.6 HDA carb off of the CS8000 series of saws? Google is being typically unhelpful and recommending me scores of parts for a Timberwolf, etc

The 620p carb is the same large ventiri. Would have to swap the shafts/linkage around to use it.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 620p carb is the same large ventiri. Would have to swap the shafts/linkage around to use it.

If it's the same carb body but only the venturi size is different... what's stopping you from tickling the venturi?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's the same carb body but only the venturi size is different... what's stopping you from tickling the venturi?

Should be doable.

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Absolutely.
In your estimation, should I expect to need to drill the main jet or do other similar modifications to the 620P carb, or do you think it’ll be up to fueling a mild port job?

Just going to delete the base gasket - presuming acceptable squish - and grind for 80/100/120 or thereabouts. I’m not looking to build a jaw-dropping saw. I just want it warm enough that you don’t fall asleep out of boredom while stumping a large tree with it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In your estimation, should I expect to need to drill the main jet or do other similar modifications to the 620P carb, or do you think it’ll be up to fueling a mild port job?

Just going to delete the base gasket - presuming acceptable squish - and grind for 80/100/120 or thereabouts. I’m not looking to build a jaw-dropping saw. I just want it warm enough that you don’t fall asleep out of boredom while stumping a large tree with it.

Red97 would be the guy to ask. I do very very few Echos.