Makita EA3601...the most intriguing saw to date

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to see how this performs vs a husq 435/440. Very close in weight and hp ratings and price. Of course the husq has a clam vs a metal crank case for the Makita

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I have not thought about this new design to much, it certainly is very interesting. The questions surrounding the two reed cages 'may' possibly be understood by comparing them and measuring the petal thicknesses. Its the pressure differential that determines when/how quick reeds open and the setup here being discussed may be required for low speed and high speed operation. The two cages may allow for greater and lesser flow under varying engine conditions...for example thin reeds open at lower pressure and thicker reed takes over at higher rpm. I may be a mile off on this particular design but I thought I'd throw in a theory.

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thin reeds open at lower pressure and thicker reed takes over at higher rpm.

This is essentially how Boysen developed their reeds. Different reeds (material, thickness) flutter or resonate at different air flows. What Boysen did was use the thin reeds to pick up the quick response and then had a thicker reed that resonated at a different air flow. The result was the two resonances cancelled out each other and there was a more consistent air flow through the reed block.

We might be able to use two thin reeds in this engine to pick up the demand from transfer closing to the opening of the piston port.

At low RPM a reed engine has an intake open and closing profile close to a rotary valve engine (transfers close and the valve opens). However, at high RPM the lag in the reeds moves the open and closing profile closer to that of a piston port engine.

With the combination of two separate intake systems (reed and piston port) we may be able to shift the intake profile. We should be able to get more low end power out of this engine, but there is also a possibility with lighter reeds that will respond quicker to pressure differentials to be able to move the open and closing profile closer to that of a rotary engine. The result would be an engine with a very broad powerband.

Anthony Webb

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Newbie to chainsaws, but would like to get into a beginner model to learn how the work and do a few small tasks around the house. Where can a guy buy one of these? I'd rather not spend time/money on yesterdays tech. Are there any good alternatives?

Looky what showed up today!!
4bf11e8b6904e5caa8f8926187ec6224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Anthony Webb

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Home depot has the Makita EA3500SRDB for $269 is this one I should consider? I know dolmar probably has something comparable as well, but if everything is moving to makita, I'd like to be sure I can get parts/service down the road.
Are there any good alternatives?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Newbie to chainsaws, but would like to get into a beginner model to learn how the work and do a few small tasks around the house. Where can a guy buy one of these? I'd rather not spend time/money on yesterdays tech. Are there any good alternatives?

Welcome to OPE Anthony.
What do you mean by small tasks?

Anthony Webb

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to OPE Anthony.
What do you mean by small tasks?
I have some rail fencing I need to take down and block up. Also, we will be clearing some trails and cutting some railroad ties for landscaping purposes. It will be be only infrequently used. I'd like it to be lightweight and low maintenance enough that it is approachable for the times when I need it.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you find a way to dial thecarb in ?

No I checked the tune and it's just above the rev limiter. I checked it after letting it sit for 5 min and it was off the limiter at 13,400, after a cut it would just hit the limiter. I still can't really hear it 4 stroking. I pulled the muffler after the first tank and piston looks perfect.
I'll come up with something when I start modding it.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some rail fencing I need to take down and block up. Also, we will be clearing some trails and cutting some railroad ties for landscaping purposes. It will be be only infrequently used. I'd like it to be lightweight and low maintenance enough that it is approachable for the times when I need it.

Sounds like it will sit a lot. The problem is ethanol will kill the Saw if it sits. So either use canned fuel if you don't have ethanol free around your area, or you may be a perfect candidate for a lithium battery Saw.

Anthony Webb

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like it will sit a lot. The problem is ethanol will kill the Saw if it sits. So either use canned fuel if you don't have ethanol free around your area, or you may be a perfect candidate for a lithium battery Saw.
Thanks for the tip! Can you recommend a model for me? I probably need it in the next couple weeks to keep the wife happy! :) Is this 3601 available anywhere? PS, thanks for the videos, cool watching the machine get up and go!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tip! Can you recommend a model for me? I probably need it in the next couple weeks to keep the wife happy! :) Is this 3601 available anywhere? PS, thanks for the videos, cool watching the machine get up and go!

Your going to have to ask Nate @fordf150 if it is available for public sale yet. He should pop in here soon. He may be able to recommend and give you a super price on something.
If you end up leaning towards battery, @Philbert is probably the most knowledgeable one here on them.

Last edited: