Makita EA3601...the most intriguing saw to date

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It may be that blocking the second set of reeds is the easiest approach to modding, perhaps even widening the reeds to get a bit more area. However, with an extra set of reeds sitting in that engine just waiting for someone to figure out how to make use of them, Crikey, I can't get them out of my mind.

Like you said, if the first set of reeds feeds the second, then the reeds are in SERIES and will cause a greater restriction to flow. What we need is to have the reeds running in PARALLEL so there is less restriction. Your comment about having a separate feed for the secondary reeds is what needs to be done.

I don't have one of these engines sitting in my lap to mull over, so I'm left with abstract ideas that might not even be close to what is workable. Here's the way I envisioned a possible set-up. There is that 'soap dish' contraption under the reeds. Perhaps all that can be removed and a simple plate put under the primary reeds to feed the cylinder. Then the space under the plate could be used as a channel to feed fresh air to the reeds on the case.

Once we can figure out a separate feed of fresh air for the secondary reeds, the mod should come together fairly easy.

Yes, that makes sense. One I start pulling this apart I'll post lots of pics so we can come up with ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to be honest. My first impression was "meh, why sm I bothering with such a small Saw" but it's gaining with every cut!
I'd be very interested in seeing it up against a stock ms260. I've never been impressed with them, and this little Saw is starting to do just that!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just noodled in maple with the bar buried, truly not what it's intended for, but other than clearing chips I think it did fantastic for a 36cc Saw!
Video loading

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And that's a tank of gas. I spent a little time cutting like I would on firewood duty in 5" and less, and I need to say Wow! It's really waking up!!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are 3 clicks on the oiler setting. It came on the middle setting and I didn't like it. It seems "ok" now on the high setting. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it needs porting [emoji23]

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can just hear it 4 stroking here and there in the videos. Hopefully with a muffler mod it will be more apparent.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that the stock safety chain that came with it or is that the 63ps?

It's sounding and running better with every video.

That is the stock chain that came with the saw. 100% as it came. I'm going to take it to my Dads tomorrow and put a few tanks through it before I do any mods to it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do the carb adjustment screws look like?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw someone on the interweb use one these in a jam1498949737955-1057759071.jpg

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try to get a pic. They are recessed into the carb and very tight. I tried some vacuum tubing but no go...

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just when you think yoy got them all they gotta make a different one lol