Long term saw storage

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you guys doing to your saws for long term storage? I have over a dozen saws and like running them all, but don’t cut enough wood to even get a tank through all. I burn 2 gallons of mix a year. I’ve been dumping bar oil, but I run stabil in my gas and have been leaving in the tanks. Haven’t had too many problems with fuel gumming, if they sit for up to a year. I try and fire them up once in a while. I was told once that running them dry will dry up carb diaphragms worse then if they were left full.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Run aviation fuel for storage. They all start on two to four pulls even after six months resting.

I like my tools ready to cut not all glued up from oil left behind from the mix.

Saw on

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you guys doing to your saws for long term storage? I have over a dozen saws and like running them all, but don’t cut enough wood to even get a tank through all. I burn 2 gallons of mix a year. I’ve been dumping bar oil, but I run stabil in my gas and have been leaving in the tanks. Haven’t had too many problems with fuel gumming, if they sit for up to a year. I try and fire them up once in a while. I was told once that running them dry will dry up carb diaphragms worse then if they were left full.

Thoughts?

You could come to my GTG this fall and "ecercise the gaskets" on as many saws as you see fit.

RoyM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Canned gas such as MotoMix or Aspen is supposed to stay fresh for two years once the can is open. A good 2 stroke oil such as Stihl contains a stabilizer, adding more won't really help much. My saws haven't run for over three years so will likely need carb kits and fuel lines.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Canned gas such as MotoMix or Aspen is supposed to stay fresh for two years once the can is open. A good 2 stroke oil such as Stihl contains a stabilizer, adding more won't really help much. My saws haven't run for over three years so will likely need carb kits and fuel lines.
A good 2 stroke oil won't be sold by Stihl.

Sorry... I have no filter.
Find something better for your hard earned dollars, please?...

Try them out first with some good oil, clean tanks and check the lines for cracks. You may be surprised how good they run after two or three days of test firings to run a few heat cycles and exercise that fuel pump and fuel circuits. Use a dribble in the spark plug hole to wet them some before starting.

Last edited:

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gasket army reporting to @Stump Shot GTG. Nothing but piles and piles of chips left behind.

I have had really good luck with non-ethanol fuel, even if purchased in a can.

Mix it up with a good synthetic oil plus a good fuel additive/stabilizer.

Run mine to about 1/2 empty and all is well one year later.

Even my lawnmower fired up on the 1st pull.

I store everything in a dry non heated shed, temps do fall below freezing for about 6-8 weeks.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Im a low use feller myself. Maybe 5 gallons every couple years. I have over 20 saws. I buy a 5 gallon pail of VP racing 94 octane fuel or Sunoco Optima 95. Both are small engine fuels. I also fog the ones that might get used once a year.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thoughts?

I'm in the same group as you. 8 saws, very little wood cutting. I use ethanol free fuel, 40:1 and 1oz seafoam per gallon. I leave fuel in them all. I try to fire them all up once or twice a year if I'm haven't used them lately. I've had no issues what so ever. The canned fuel would probably be the best way to go, especially if you don't have e free in your area.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk