Winterizing you saws for storage

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I know another OCD newbie question.
I am just a firewood scavenger and with all the snow on the ground around me I don't forsee any date days with my wife getting more firewood anytime soon.

my usual method is to drain all the oil and fuel and put my saws in the basement until spring.

I did some reading today and others recommend filling them up completley with fuel before storage so there is no room for condesantion.

or even just leaving them as-is without taking any steps for storage.

I dont know what to do now and was curious what the pros here recommend?

I am probably being to OCD but I really like my current saw selection and want them to last as long as possible.

THANKS

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
7:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I know another OCD newbie question.
I am just a firewood scavenger and with all the snow on the ground around me I don't forsee any date days with my wife getting more firewood anytime soon.

my usual method is to drain all the oil and fuel and put my saws in the basement until spring.

I did some reading today and others recommend filling them up completley with fuel before storage so there is no room for condesantion.

or even just leaving them as-is without taking any steps for storage.

I dont know what to do now and was curious what the pros here recommend?

I am probably being to OCD but I really like my current saw selection and want them to last as long as possible.

THANKS

I know this isn't your first winter. What have you done in the past? With good results?:)

I just leave them in the shop after I use them on a shelf. Blow them off after use and whatever is in either tank I just leave there. I use E10 fuel because that's all I can get here. Usually use dolmar or redmax oil with good results.

That just works for me. Your milage may vary.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had good results draining everything and stuffing them in the basement, I am always searching for the best ways to keep my equipment running, recent generator issues have me re thinking my methods.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running ethanol fuel draining is not a bad way to go and if it's been working I would just roll on with it

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say leaving the magnesium tanks full of non ethanol mix with a stabilizer is the the way to go, just like the car tank you dont want air space for condensation to develop.
Plastic tank saws I don't think it matters, strait gas is available everywhere in South Carolina so it's not really an issue for me, but I don't think running the fuel out of the carburetor is a good idea.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I empty the fuel, I wet the air filter with starting fluid and thoroughly run the carb dry, so the gas can't evaporate and leave behind gel or gelled rancid 2 stroke oil that could clog it.

Otherwise, I empty the tank, start it to run dry, then put Stihl Motomix in and run it for a minute on that, so the carb is both rinsed of the crappy pump gas, and full of fresh high quality fuel.

I don't worry about draining the oil tank unless that saw likes to leak. Drain and run some regular oil through if you've been using a biodegradable veg oil like canola, just to minimize the risk of it gumming up the oil pump and lines, which could damage it, and even cause rust.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought about running them out of fuel but didnt know how the autotune would react to that.

i think this weekend i will drag a few logs under the carport and get the snow off them so I can make a few cuts every month with them so they dont just sit as much and just keep them ready to run all winter

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recommend "running the saw out of fuel", I know it's a debatable topic but that's my preference. At one time I did that, but your saw, even for a brief few seconds, is leaned out while running out of fuel...I just don't do it.

I recommend getting some aviation fuel or even some canned fuel at your local dealer or farm store. Mix it to your preferred ratio, remove the regular gas from your saws, fill them up with your storage gas and running them til you smell the exhaust is clearly different. That way you know your storage mix is completely through the saw. That will easily last a year (some claim up to 4 years) on the shelf. And you don't have to worry about phase separation, moisture retention or internal decay/rubber component failure.

That's how I do it, anyway. But I run most of my saws year-round.....

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in the pre mixed fuel camp myself, so I never really worry about it, because it's good for 2 yrs after opened and I've never had an issue. My saws generally don't sit for more than 6 months though either. I try to make sure to rotate them for use, tk keep fuel fresh.

If you run pump gas, just add some stabilizer to get ya through, or do like Scotty Overkill suggested. Run a bit of pre mixed fuel in it and make sure it's run through the system and you should be good.

If you only run a saw or two, it should only cost 10 bucks or so do do that max. Pretty cheap insurance I'd say.