Long bar - Skip tooth chain?

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to get a long bar for my Makita 7910 to help out a buddy cut up a large silver maple and willow. I usually run a 24" bar but from his description I may need something longer. I have done the oiler mod and it really oils now. I have a line on a 32" GB in 3/8" .050 105 dl.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am wondering what chain to get for this bar? It's not green wood, it's been down since fall. Never bought a chain this long. Should I get a Skip tooth. Is that in order? Or What chain?

The 7910 is muffler modded and will probably have the 272 coil installed by then. I don't plan on using this set up often, just trying to help a buddy out this spring.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a model or designation for skip chain? Local dealers are fairly worthless around here. My closest Stihl dealer only has green label chain on his shelves. I try to give sponsors and guys here my business

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Power may not be an issue. Oiling it might not be either. The efficiency of chip removal that skip or semi skip provides, however, shouldn't be overlooked IMO.
That is possible. I don't have a skip chain to test. Good point

HighSierras

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run full skip on everything longer than 25", even on the big saws. As jrsdws said, it's more about chip clearance than power. It also cuts down significantly on sharpening time. Full skip can be a bit rough in small diameter wood, but cuts great as long as you have 3+ cutters in the wood at a time.

Stihl's designation is a "F", so RSF would be full chisel full skip. Carlton/WoodlandPro is also excellent chain and very reasonably priced.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's boring like with full skip? The only times I've had to bore with my 32" bar on Dolly have been when I have full comp chain on it.

DSS

widebody
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It doesn't bore as good as full comp, but it works. Full skip is rough and a little jumpy, but it's much better cleaning the cut out. And the easier sharpening is a bonus, yes.

I've seen guys put full skip on a short bar because they think 'it gives the saw more horsepower '. I never understood this train of thought, there's the same amount of wood to be removed from the cut, you're just doing it with 1/3 less cutters. Which one would assume would each have to do more work

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's trades offs either way. With skip chain you have less cutters. From a sharpening stand point this is good because there's less teeth to sharpen.

From a cutting stand point skip is a little slower, with less teeth pulling through the cut per each revolution of the chain less wood is removed compared to full comp.

Also because there's half as many cutters per loop, each tooth has to do twice the work to cut through the same diameter wood compared to full comp. This means they'll dull quicker as well.

This goes out the window when you cut large diameter soft wood where chip clearance is an issue.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had no problem boring with skip. I really don't see any disadvantage unless you are approaching the limits of the size of bar the saw will handle. As my 24" and up chains wear out they get replaced with skip.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both silver maple and Willow are soft. I think I'll buy both and see how it works. Thanks for all of the opinions

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried a 24" on your 6100 yet I was wondering if a skip chain would be a good idea