Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly any gust over 10mph and I don't cut trees ,unless its an absolute emergency.
I wouldn’t be able to work all winter if I followed suit! But I understand what you’re getting at. And I am certainly not advocating for anyone to cut when they are not comfortable with the conditions.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was terrible windy too! Which is something that can change dynamics of a hinge.
Honestly any gust over 10mph and I don't cut trees ,unless its an absolute emergency.
40mph…but if you look close it’s just a big fat 10,000 lb spar with a little fuzz on it. It had be pruned to a nub…all of these on the fencerow. I don’t think the wind affected it. Keeps it 80 instead of 100 though this time of year.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Noted; Port any future saws for @davidwyby slower.
Is it possible to port a saw to basically just increase torque at low/stock RPM (for a longer bar and more felling grunt I guess) and not really increase speed? *or cutting nasty dry dirty eucalyptus.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible to port a saw to basically just increase torque at low/stock RPM (for a longer bar and more felling grunt I guess) and not really increase speed? *or cutting nasty dry dirty eucalyptus.
I suspect it could be, nobody's ever asked for that. Other than that 800 Echo I did for a long bar didn't really add much zip, but it sure would pull like Viking, so it could be plausible, would certainly vary from model to model as to just what and how much can be done.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The biggest problem for the builder is when that saw goes to a different owner, that person won't understand the purpose it was built for and just think it's slow and then go on about it.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The biggest problem for the builder is when that saw goes to a different owner, that person won't understand the purpose it was built for and just think it's slow and then go on about it.
No SSSS sticker and we won’t tell no one you built a slow saw 😆

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I could get some new torquer series stickers made and charge a premium for stage 2C performance.
I think I could market that... "Bigger, Better, Stronger and Pulls Six Inches Longer".
Should be worth a couple hun right there. Lol

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well heck, @davidwyby you're a machinist feller, just make up a restrictor plate for your saw until it pulls the saw down how you want. Then have a CNC machine start pumping them out and you can sell 'em. There ya go and I'll only expect 5% off the top. Have your machine pay my machine. :)

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think what you are asking for is a gear drive, which was a purpose built torque saw.
The G70 McCulloch was basically a 7-10 with a gear box, XL-15 was a XL-12 With the gear box contained almost completely in the clutch cover. Both those will pull a 24" .404 bar , and they're on the small side.
As the demand for smaller ,faster,and simpler saws became more popular the gear drives faded into the past.
Some gear drives had a drive belt (090 stihl and some homelite) .
I feel like a fellow could design a clutch cover belt drive for an out board clutch with the right gumption. I can't imagine how powerful a ported 395xp gear drive would be!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think what you are asking for is a gear drive, which was a purpose built torque saw.
The G70 McCulloch was basically a 7-10 with a gear box, XL-15 was a XL-12 With the gear box contained almost completely in the clutch cover. Both those will pull a 24" .404 bar , and they're on the small side.
As the demand for smaller ,faster,and simpler saws became more popular the gear drives faded into the past.
Some gear drives had a drive belt (090 stihl and some homelite) .
I feel like a fellow could design a clutch cover belt drive for an out board clutch with the right gumption. I can't imagine how powerful a ported 395xp gear drive would be!
The gear drives are turning in my head!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two bars, no back plunge. I think the back plunge would help if you had to wedge over. Both of these we winched over. Vids later. Bout as hairy and hingey as Euc is gonna get I think…whether or not it will support any side lean or swing is still unknown and doubtful.

IMG_1515.jpegIMG_1514.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That second pic was taken at .5 zoom fish eye and kinda throws off the angles…

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried a sizwell to stear a Eucalyptus?